General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 04:59 PM   #1  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Default XENICAL XANIES - August 11th

I'm back....

Yes I have survived the "family vacation"..not really a vacation for Mom (if you know what I mean!).

How did I do you ask? Not too bad I think (but will weigh myself tomorrow a.m. to be consistent). So there was no treadmill in the gym...did a few minutes on the lifecycles..altho I don't like those much. The pool was great tho...and I did manage to do laps almost every day..tho I'm not a super swimmer, at least I did keep moving in the water.

The hotel had a fabulous beach (clean, not very deep which was great for the kids, and lots of chairs/towels and shade trees). And the weather was absolutely PERFECT...read hot & sunny each day. The worse that happened was the bugfest on the 2nd night out, when dh and I were stargazing at the beach, seems like all the bugs were feasting on me (legs mostly as I was in shorts)....and I seemed to have a vicious reaction, as the bites swelled up hard & red...had to take antihistamines and get benadryl lotion & anti itch stuff from the local pharmacy..NOT FUN!

The suite came with a equiped kitchen (altho somewhat lacking in utensils, etc). I did bring my scale...and we got groceries and did lots of eating in, which did help me out. Dh & I went out to dinner a couple of times alone, but I did try to be quite careful.

I must confess I did have DOWNFALL DAY..yes you heard it here first. It was all those mirrors in the room...did you ever finally see yourself as others probably see you? Was I just deluding myself that I actually looked good? I look like a small fat sausage woman, filling out all my clothes very nicely. I was feeling very grotesque and not "womanly" at all..not sure what came over me, like a depression or something and I just felt like crying and EATING!!! Okay...I did pig out on chips, cheesies, ice cream.....but by evening I decided that was enuf (no I did not take my Xenical as it was hard to say where one meal ended...or began).

By the next morning I was back on track....pretty much and I did go back to monitoring my food intake and taking my pills. but I'm having a bit of trouble with my "self image". I know I'm doing something about my weight, but sometimes it seems so futile I just want to give up....not a very good thing to do!

Anyhow....let's hear how the other xanies are doing! I will have my "official" weigh in on Monday a.m....and I'm going to try to keep on going, altho it does seem to be getting harder!

Frouf
Old 08-15-2001, 01:17 PM   #2  
Card Carrying Princess

Default I survived McDonald's!!!

Just so happy to report that I am definitely in control these days. Took 3 yr old out to lunch to Mcdonald's today...and I was kind of dreading it.

But I did great.....bought Sam a mcnugget's kiddie meal...and I had just a small hamburger and split his fries with him...not shabby. I also filled up on diet coke which helped a lot.

Home now...and planning for a blueberries & banana and lf sf yogurt dessert..yum yum.

So after checking the website...looks like I only consumed 14 fat grams...which is pretty amazing for eating at a fast food place!

Hope everyone else is doing okay!

Frouf
Old 08-16-2001, 09:49 AM   #3  

hi froufy,
i'm doing ok these days, have become accustomed to taking teh xenical somewhat regularly and while I haven't been obsessing about my fat count everyday, I feel like I am finally back on track.

People have started noticing my weightloss albeit slight. Two people on two separate occasions commented the other day that I'd lost weight, I disagreed with them thinking that because the scales haven't shown a huge difference that nothing would show, but hey, was I wrong or what!

I guess I'm so used to being hard on myself and always experiencing setbacks in my previous weightloss efforts that I can't give myself credit when it's due.

Could it be that I have FINALLY found the key to successful weightloss and a sensible eating plan for life? do do do do...the truth is out there just be brave enough to go after it.
Old 08-16-2001, 02:06 PM   #4  
Card Carrying Princess

Default WAY TO GO MYGIRL

Hi there...

Glad to see you are still around...and sounds like you're doing well (in spite of yourself.... lol )

It's really exciting when people notice your weight loss, even if you don't think it's that obvious. Good for you...accept the compliments and use them to further your motivation to keep on going with whatever is working for you. Definitely keep going for it, if "it" is working..and it seems to be.

I am diligently trying to count cals and fat grams...and now it's been almost a month, and I am usually able to hit close to my 50 fat grams....and vary between 1400 and 1700 cals. I am very excited to go to my first dr's follow up appt tomorrow a.m. for my very "official" weigh in... I also need to renew my prescription for my 2nd month!

Do you have "follow up" calls by Roche? In Canada you register, and get tons of info mailed to you (just got another package of stuff this week)...and calls from dietitian nurses every 2 weeks...so you can ask questions and discuss problems. They also have seminars here..I have registered for the 1st one (Sept 4th) and plan to go unless I have classes that night (must check my schedule again)..

I will let you know how dr's visit goes..... Anyhow..keep up the good work.

Frouf

P.S. are you using the xenical website at all? (www.xenicare.com)
Old 08-20-2001, 11:17 AM   #5  
Super Duper Member

Default Stopping in to say "Hi"

Hi Froufy and Mygirl,

Didn't want you to think I had forgotten this board! I'm sorry to say that I haven't been as successful with the Xenical as you 2 have, but I've come to realize that after losing 100 lbs on my own, there is no trick to getting me going again. My last 3 weigh in's were ALL small gains, but it made me realize that I needed to try something else.

I decided to stop the Xenical and spend that money on a health club instead. I was doing a little exercise at home, but I hadn't been as diligent as I was in the beginning. Now I've been at the club every single day since I joined. I'm looking forward to taking a yoga class and eventually I want to try pilates and the kick boxing (I do tae bo at home, so I should do OK in that one).

They have a lot to offer so hopefully I won't get as bored as I do at home! So far so good. I'm taking aqua-aerobics this week and have been using the treadmill and the nautilus equipment. My kids love the kid's club and the 3 outdoor pools have been a huge plus for the summer! I've sat out there with them every day reading a book, while they splash around. At least it's been relaxing and has gotten me out of the house!

I was looking over my weight charts today and I was horrified to see that I lost 70 lbs over the first 7 months at TOPS and it has taken me this long (over a year) to make what little progress I have made since those first 7 months! I find that kind of depressing, but on the upside, I am determined to never give up. I will lose the rest of my weight eventually! I did it before and I will do it again and I have managed to maintain it for a while, so at least I know I can do that!

Keep up the good work ladies, I can tell you from personal experience that the you have to capitalize on that drive and that motivation that gets you going in the beginning. I wish someone could bottle that!

Froufy, one of the advantages of the health club was that I have seen myself in the mirror and I felt like you did on vacation! I was shocked at what I saw. I too had deluded myself into thinking that I looked good after losing 100 lbs, only to see what other people see and to finally realize that I still have a long way to go so now is NOT the time to slack off! Shame on me for having gotten so lazy and so "comfortable"!

Best of luck to both of you! I'll pop in from time to time to check your progress!
Old 08-20-2001, 02:04 PM   #6  
Card Carrying Princess

Default NICE TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN VR!

Glad to see you have not fallen off the face of the earth!

VR...you sound so determined that I know you will make it...Always remember where you have come from and how you did it. You have the strength of spirit and determination to get to your goal, no matter how long it takes.

The health club sounds like a fabulous idea! I used to go to one eons ago..but that still required much discipline on my part. I remember they also had a nice daycare, but no outdoor or indoor pool there. I may go back one day....when I'm finished my night classes and have more spare time. I do have a treadmill at home, so I should not make any excuses!

My official weigh in with dr. last Friday was great - she was supremely impressed with my 9 lb loss!!! Keep up the good work, she said....I will be seeing her again next month to update my loss! I know there will be more challenges ahead for me, especially once I return to work/school in September.

I don't think I lost any weight this week anyways....I've been counting, however I have been on the high end of cals, so I'm trying to be more vigilant this week.

I know the weight loss will slow down, and I'm trying hard to prepare for that...as that is usually my downfall.

Anyhow about the Xenical..have you considered taking it anyway, in addition to all that exercise? I think it can only help as I presume you will still be careful about what you eat???

Keep us posted on your progress! Good luck!

Froufy
Old 08-22-2001, 12:24 AM   #7  
Super Duper Member

Hi Froufy, thanks for the support!

About the Xenical, I think my problem was that I used it as a "crutch" -- kind of like that really bad commercial for "fat trapper" -- take the pill and eat anything you want! It's my own fault, and nothing to do with the xenical, but I found I was cheating more and more when I took it and then having to deal with the gross side effects. I think for someone like me, it's such a mental thing! To be honest with you, I probably would have considered keeping it, but the side effects and the hefty price tag swayed my decision. The club is costing me $62 a month, as opposed to the $125 a month for the Xenical (my insurance refused to pay for any of it).

I took a peek at the scale at the club today and it shows me as being down 4 lbs. I weigh in at TOPS tomorrow, so I hope that's accurate! I've been fighting with my PMS appetite all week, but I've been exercising my buns off (literally). I'm finding the exercise to be addictive and that's one addiction I can definitely live with for a change! Exercising at the club is a lot better for me than exercising at home was! I had slacked off a lot on that, mostly out of boredom. Going to the club has made me feel energized and it gives me something to look forward to every day.

Keep up the great work! That 9 lb loss must have you feeling wonderful already! When the weight loss starts to slow down, just remember not to give up, instead kick up the exercise! I've finally come to realize that's the only secret to success!
Old 08-22-2001, 06:38 PM   #8  

Red face

HI Froufy and VioletRose,

Good to hear you're making excellent progress Froufy! Way to go girl !!! I am so proud of you and infact reading about your weightloss is all the more encouragement for me...it renews my faith in xenical and reminds me of the feeling I had when I first began it, a feeling of sheer excitement and knowing that this was my answer to all my weightloss prblems. I just need that kickstart!

I haven't yet been back for my monthly weigh in...it's been over a month and I guess I am too chicken to get there!

I've not heard from the xenical people themselves so I guess I need to chase them up. I've been a bit slack myself and haven't taken the xenical consistently (shame on me) I made a commitment to myself yesterday that I would not let any excuse get in the way of my progress...there are far too many distractions that can get in the way IF I let them.

My stop start approach to weightloss is getting me down! so I just need to renew that commitment right away and get back on track.

til next time,
MyGirl
Old 08-22-2001, 10:14 PM   #9  
Card Carrying Princess

Default Glad to hear everyone is on the right track!

Hey MyGirl....

Good to hear that you have made that commitment and I hope that will help you stay focused.

My weight loss is great, but of course I would have liked to lose more. I have become a bit more relaxed towards food, which I think is a good thing, if I don't go overboard that is. I am able to treat myself once in a while and not feel bad or guilty...and yes it may take longer to lose the weight, but it's better that I indulge once in a while than restrict myself and give up the battle because I'm feeling deprived. Even if I'm not perfect, I am much more aware of what I put into my mouth and try to make the best decisions possible!

Congrats on the exercise addiction VioletRose (I should be so lucky!). That is my one downfall....I know I owe it to myself to keep moving, but I am so tired and lethargic about it, it's hard to get going (yes I know I'll have more energy if I do it!). The health club sounds like the way to go for you,...and it's already working! Send some of that exercise motivation my way!

MyGirl....time for that monthly check in and let me know how you're doing. I'm trying to only weigh myself once a week now, as I think I am a bit scale-obsessed!...and coming up to PMS week that's probably not such a bad idea

I will keep you posted on my progress....next hurdle is Friday evening, we are hosting a wine/cheese party after work for our coworkers.....lots of those nasty finger foods around, but I will make sure to have some of the healthier stuff available (veggies/dip, pita bread, shrimp ring) so I won't go too overboard. Hopefully I will be too busy to stuff my face.

Later!

Frouf
Old 09-10-2001, 05:06 PM   #10  

Default xenical

Even though the weight is coming off slowly, Xenical is working well for me. It's been 9 months & I've lost 27 pounds with 20 more to go. I figure it will take another year to lose those last 20 pounds. It took me twenty years to get obese (31% BMI) & if it takes 2 years to get to a healthy weight, it's worth it.

I also joined Weight Watchers with my skinny sister (she's below the weight I'm aiming for).

good luck fellow Xanies ( I love that name!!)

Teresa
Old 09-10-2001, 09:47 PM   #11  
Super Duper Member

You have a great attitude Teresa and in the long run that will help you more than anything!

Good luck with WW, they have a wonderful program! I myself belong to TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) but last week I went to a WW meeting just so I could get the updated points program. TOPS is good for support, but I always thought WW had the best plan by far!

I'm not on the Xenical anymore, only tried it for a month, but the exercise club that I joined along with the WW has been working great for me!

I think WW will work very well for you!

Vi

P.S. Where did everyone else go from this Xenical group?
Old 09-10-2001, 11:21 PM   #12  
Card Carrying Princess

Default Haven't gone far.....

Hi All you Xanies...

Hi especially to Teresa...welcome and I am truly impressed with your weight loss results...it doesn't matter how long it takes, just that you are doing something about it!

I too was once on WW, but so far feel okay just doing it on my own....feels more liberating and flexible I guess. I'm getting pretty good at counting calories and fat grams and make sure to check out websites of restaurants I will be visiting so I can plan in advance what is "safest" to eat!

My next dr's appt is this Friday...so I'm anxious to see how I'm doing on the "official" scale....mine looks like it's down another 5 lbs or so, making it a 14-15 lb total loss...not shabby. The only thing that is really, really bugging me...is not a SINGLE SOUL has mentioned that they have noticed any loss...okay maybe 15 lbs isn't a whole lot when you have about 70 lbs to lose...but still you'd think someone would notice.....and it's not that they see me every day. I actually took a month's vacation from work, and when I got back nobody said anything????? I'm hoping someone notices something in the next 10 lbs or so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey VR...glad to see you're still alive and kicking (butt that is! )
I guess the exercising is working wonders for you, as is your commitment and dedication to TOPS.

I'm back in school two nights a week and back to work, so I'm trying hard to plan ahead so that I don't run into any little extras that I should be avoiding.....

I'll let you know how I make out at the dr's appt. Teresa...keep us posted on how you're doing!

Any other Xenical Xanies lurking out there?

Frouf
Old 09-11-2001, 11:49 PM   #13  

Hi froufy---sounds like you are doing very well on Xenical. I would tell you that you looked like you had lost weight if I saw you in chat.......we have missed you

Seriously, no one mentioned my weight loss till I had lost about 40 lbs....I had 100 to lose so did not expect people to notice. Was actually glad in a way....cause once people in work notice, many now ask me "how much have you lost now?"

I am out two nights a weeks also---teach one night and go to group the other. I have gotten used to eating late at night. A no no, some people say, but so far it does not seem to have delayed my weight loss.

VioletRose glad to hear you also are doing well with your weight loss. Did you not like Xenical or the side effects of it?

I have lost my fellow Merida takers. They have fallen off the face of the earth. My weight loss has slowed down but I expected it to. Will see doctor the 24th of this month. Will see what he says.

Take care, all of you.

Last edited by nikolas; 09-11-2001 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-12-2001, 11:13 AM   #14  
Card Carrying Princess

Default HEY NIK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..long time no see/hear???

How's it going? Have not been able to join in our late night chats as I am now back to work & school (2 nites per week and of course the nasty homework!)..altho I may indulge as the weekend comes around...PLEASE say hi to all, tell them I miss them, and I will "visit" whenever I can.

And thanks for the comments on "seeing" my weight loss I presume eventually someone will say something...were you ever embarrassed to say how much weight you lost considering no one noticed? I'm feeling funny to have to say, when someone eventually says something...that I have lost like 25-30 lbs!!!!!! and I'm just STARTING to look different?????????????????(makes me feel even fatter...and of course when you say you have another 50 or more to lose, you're basically saying how obese you actually are).

Of course Nik you are welcome to join us on our board as an "honorary xany"...otherwise we can change our name....??? any ideas??

Keep us posted on how you're doing and the results of your next dr. appt....mine is this Friday pm..so I hope to have some great news for the weekend! Will try to get on the chat on Saturday or Sunday!

See ya!

Frouf
Old 09-12-2001, 01:30 PM   #15  
Super Duper Member

Hi Nik, nice to hear from you again! About the Xenical, my problem is that I seem to use any pill as a "crutch", I think. So in the back of my mind I'm thinking "Oh go ahead and have that FRIED DOUGH, the PILL will handle it"....LOL. (Even with the gross side effects, I would still eat it!) So instead of exercising and eating better, whether it was the meridia or the xenical, I would end up exercising less and eating more!

SO I gave up the pills and put that money toward a health club membership. I'm paying $62 a month and been going faithfully for an hour to an hour and a half each day. I really enjoy it because it's my only hour of every day where I can relax and leave the kids in someone else's care! I think the endorphins have been doing wonders for my stress level too. I'm more relaxed than I've been in years.

I also started following the WW points system again and between that and the exercise I have dropped about 15 lbs that I had gained over the summer with the pills. I've always believed that you have to keep trying till you find what works for you, so I've tried it all! I think for now, with the exercise addiction and the WW points plus the support of my weekly TOPS meeting, I'll have a chance to work on the rest of my weight.

Frouf, I like the idea of another board with a different name. It might be a good way to keep us all together even though we use different methods! Maybe something like "Weigh To Goal!" -- either way, I'll keep checking in!

Vi

Last edited by VioletRose; 09-12-2001 at 01:32 PM.
Closed Thread