Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 07:22 PM   #1  
28 Yr old Vixen to be...

S/C/G: 480/480/380

Height: 5'5"

Default Colon Cleansing

Has Anyone Heard Much About It, I Heard That Its A Healthy Thing To Do Once A Year And Might Help With Weight Loss Because It Makes The Intestine More Able To Readily Absorb Nutrients Which Helps You Energy Level....anybody Heard About It??
Old 09-02-2005, 07:34 PM   #2  

my mom drinks 2 to 3 glasses of what appears to be a mixture of organic colon cleansing powder and water everyday. the colon cleansing powder supposedly has a lot of organic vegetable powder in it. im not sure if it works but i dont think theres harm done. according to her though, it makes her go to the bathroom very easily. ive even come across colon cleansing products that promises weight loss :raises eyebrow: my theory is, it wont hurt to do it once a while. its like detoxing your system.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:41 PM   #3  
it's always something

It's generally considered a "health scam" unless you have some sort of physical problem and your doctor recommends a special treatment.

This thread might give you some info

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63318
Old 09-28-2005, 09:19 AM   #4  

Meh, from what I understand, the colon cleanses itself.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:25 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree--your body knows how to clean itself out, so unless you've got some sort of "backup" or other medical problem, I wouldn't waste my time. I have heard of some people having success on certain colon cleanse diets, but only because they make you eat nothing but fruits and veggies and maybe some sort of pills or drinks, so of course you'd lose weight--you're hardly eating anything, and everything you're eating comes right out the other end
Old 09-28-2005, 05:01 PM   #6  

Yesterday and the day before I ate rather a lot of raw carrot sticks (carrots were on special), and yesterday I had chili soup for lunch and a black bean /corn based dinner. If my colon isn't "cleansed" today, it never will be! Oops, gotta run.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:29 PM   #7  
prepare for the BEST time

yep, a good dose of foods rich in fiber will "cleanse" your colon automatically, there's a reason why Mom always pushed the vegetables....good sources are lentil soup, an apple, oatmeal, fiber1 cereal, etc.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:50 PM   #8  

Your colon can't always clean itself. There are things like chronic constipation, chemo therapy, other medicines and conditions that build a wall of like 'crust' on the inner lining of the intestine.
In these cases, (mine is cc) the colon cleanse really helps deslove the buildup, makes the intenstine stronger (becuz of the massage) and with time can make work things move better.
It is not really suppose to be intended for weight loss. That is a star thing, they fast then cleanse, which is unhealthy.
With my cleanses I did not lose weight but I felt great relief, I had about four, once a week at $60 each. I had to stop becuz I found out I need utro-vaginal prolapse surgery, which is the cause of cc. Not caused by the colon cleanse.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:21 AM   #9  

That's the point, tho - most healthy adults do not need this procedure. Unless, like you said Star, they have an imbalance that would necessitate a cleansing. I wouldn't have one without the advice of a doc.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:27 AM   #10  

Paulzgirl - I would agree about talking to your doctor first. With certain conditions, they are not safe and can actually be harmful. Prior to having the cleanse you do have to fill out a release form. However if you are not certain about your internal health, you shouldn't have one.
I think the poster of this thread was thinking colon cleanse is an add to weight loss, that is not the case.

Last edited by Star; 09-30-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:42 AM   #11  
Determined

Just like all other cells in the body (think skin) cells in the colon slough off naturally. Every 5-7 days your colon has a completely new lining. Karla - you are hilarious! The best thing you can do to keep your colon "clean" is eat plenty of fiber and drink plenty of water.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:56 AM   #12  

happydaisy - When I saw what had been inside me I knew it had been there for along time.......that natural sloughing wasn't happening here. I also eat pleanty of fiber, veggies and water, avoid red meat and nothing works to move things along.
I think everyone is different and there is no 'general' advice given to form an opinion, other than your doctor for your situation.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:11 PM   #13  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Star--no one is saying you are wrong. It has already been mentioned in this thread that medical conditions or a doctor's orders are valid reason where a colon cleansing may be necessary (as in your case with the cc). However, for people who do not have a medical condition that directly affect the functionality of their colon, it's pretty pointless--or can at least be replaced by Carla's method
Old 09-30-2005, 12:14 PM   #14  

Jill - I'm so sorry and don't mean to beat the colon to death......
But, I have also heard this procedure can be addictive, anyone else?
Old 09-30-2005, 01:49 PM   #15  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star
Jill - I'm so sorry and don't mean to beat the colon to death......
Now let's not get ANAL about this, you guys...

Okay I couldn't resist...
Closed Thread