Old 09-21-2005, 08:18 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #32

Morning girls! It is killer heat today. It reached 100 in spots yesterday and didn't get below 80 last night. It is plain miserable here. I walked Fortune yesterday morning and ended up having to carry him home part way because he got overheated so no more of that until it cools down.

Jean: I don't really care WHY they moved, just that they are moving. I tried to speak to her son yesterday, but he was rude so I was rude back. I said something like, "I heard your mom found herself a house, that's great." He said something snotty so I walked away mumbling loud enough for him to here that he was a jerk and I was glad they were moving! I refuse to pretend they were great neighbors. I talked to a couple of the ladies when I walked the dog and they acted like those kids were little angels and they would all miss them, which I know was bologna, but it was an ethnic thing I think. I told them the kids were brats and they were brats because they weren't taken care of properly, the grandmother didn't follow the association rules with her garbage sitting out all the time and they didn't have to deal with cigarette butts and food being thrown on their deck that could hurt their dog so I sure wasn't going to miss them. It would be so nice if we could get some nice neighbors to move in there, but it is unlikely unless they put it up for sale and the man that owns the one on the other side of me buys it. He is a wonderful landlord and makes his tenants treat the property and others properly, but of course they pay for that. His rent is higher but he goes in and spruces the condos up after each person moves out.

Gloria: Hope you are staying cool where you are!

I got my melt and pour soapmaking book yesterday and can't wait to try it out. It looks easy and a lot of fun.

Everyone have a great day I need to get some mopping done before it gets too hot to do.

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:20 PM   #2  

Good Evening, Flowers!

We got out of school at 1:30 today because of the heat . . . it was miserable by 10:00! The computer said it was 95 as a 'high' but it has clouded over now and is only 85 -- sticky and humid. We are supposed to have severe thunderstorms tonight and it is supposed to be in the 70s tomorrow.

I took Maggie, the cat, to the vet this afternoon. She hasn't acted like herself for a little over a week and is so thin. Well, a shaved neck and $118.99 later: she doesn't have a temp., her heart is fine, her kidneys are fine, her liver function is a little low which is better than high, she doesn't have diabetes, she is dehydrated, and weighs just over 4#s. The doc is thinking it might be her thyroid but had to send the blood sample away for that test. Meanwhile we have to poke a tiny thyroid pill down her twice a day until the test results come back. She felt good enough to complain during the trip to the vet and back home again.

I dropped a # at WW last night . . . the one that somehow found me a week ago.

"Gma" -- Thanks for starting the new thread! You do that so well. I hope you get some cooler weather . . . will you get anything from Rita? That one sounds like it could be worse than Katrina. Let's think positive about some nice neighbors for next time.

I'm late getting on tonight because I had bell choir practice. I was hoping we wouldn't because of the heat but we had fans going so it wasn't too bad. I have some other posts to read so better keep moving. I'm tired tonight and I'm going to bed early! (Famous last words! ) Have a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:18 AM   #3  

Good Thurs morning gals. Boy I am tired saying it is hot and humid! BUT.....it is hot and humid here again today. People talk about the arid air in Las Vegas and it is certainly true. I know it was hot walking, but I don't remember sweat pouring etc. Here, you can't walk 10 feet and you are soaked to the skin. I need to get out on my patio and clean up leaves etc from a big storm they had while we were in Vegas, but it is just too humid right now. It looks a mess and is embarrassing to me, but I know I couldn't take the heat to go out and blow leaves and clean up the chairs, table, bbq grill etc. We haven't even been out there all season this year because of the heat and humidity. I just looked at the computer and it is 75 degrees BUT the humidity is near 90 %!

Jean: Boy that is a tiny cat. Our big fatso weighs about 18 lbs!!!! He is just a big cat, but I know the vet is going to have a cow about his weight. What can I do? I already give him lowfat cat food! Hope Maggie gets to feeling more chipper.

Tonight is my dinner with my dd and grandson. Poor Tom has class 6 nights a week so he can't come. My bd is not until next Wed, but she is going to be out of town so we are doing it tonight. We are going to Applebees. I like their Chinese Chicken salad a lot. This was has reopened after the previous owner went belly up with a bout 8 of them around town so I hope they have it on the menu and it hasn't changed.

Well, this is NOT getting the rest of my chores done and today's cleaning is the upstairs bathrooms so I need to get to them before it is really too hot.

Faye
Old 09-22-2005, 07:36 PM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers! I went for a much needed hair cut after school and as usual, I think she cut it too short. What don't they understand about a "trim a little?" DH is out helping to haul beans to the co-op so I don't suppose I will see him until it is dark. . .which is before 8:00 now.

"Gma" -- I know you will enjoy your birthday dinner! Happy Birthday early! Does Tom teach night classes or is he taking a night class? Either way, 6 nights a week wouldn't be my idea of fun. Your patio leaves will still be there when it cools down a bit. It's no fun to work in the heat when the sweat is dripping off as fast as you can wipe! It's a cool 69 degrees as I am typing.

Guess I will go fix a sandwich for my supper since I don't know when DH will be home. I hate eating late. Have a fantastic Friday -- we have an early dismissal for another BORING in-service afternoon.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-23-2005, 08:53 AM   #5  

Good morning ladies. It is a sticky 77 already and looks like another hot one today! We are supposed to get rain from the hurricane by the weekend, but with our luck we won't. Though, I have satellite tv being installed Tues so with my luck it will pour that day!

Jean: I had such a nice time last night. I love spending time with Thomas. You know my thing with rodents and of course he lovvvvvveeeeeessssss to tease his old Nonny about it. He got me a card with a picture of a live mouse on it {shiver} Anyway, he gets an allowance of $5 a week if he is good and has been saving for this new gameboy that is out. Bless his little heart, he took 10$ of the money he saved and paid for part of the handbag he bought me and the other $5 was to help pay for his other grandma's bd present, his Nana's "num." I said, "Her what?" He said, "I bought her pretty yellow num flowers" Kelly said, "Yeah, you know a chrysanthanum." He said, "yeah a yellow, chrysanthanum." We rolled over that one. They also got me some nail polish and some of this cool stuff to take care of my feet, which are always in bad shape. She said I might be able to get my feet in shape before my next Vegas trip! We had a lot of fun, though I had promised him last week he could come here and play games and we were across town by his house at a restaurant and he had homework. Broke my heart when he said, "Nonny, you promised last week we could go to your house." It worked out ok, without too much hurt feelings.

I am going to be out and about today, Saturday and Sunday. Today I am going to get yarn to finish up projects and start some more. I also have to get more needles, stitch markers and a darning needle. I want to get stuff to start on my dd's stuff, but need to get my dil's done first as we are taking their Christmas gifts at Thanksgiving. I am going to make my son one and I hope he likes it. See below, for what I chose. Saturday we have soccer and then my sil's dad is going to drive his pickup and help us pick up the furniture. Sunday is the dreaded commissary day and I HAVE to get back on a diet so I need to get everything again. I am dragging Jack along again this time, bless his heart.

Well, I need to go and vacuum the upstairs as that is the chore for today along with dusting, which I have done already.

Have a great weekend girls!!
Faye
Old 09-23-2005, 08:12 PM   #6  

Good Evening. Flowers! It's been a beautiful day in my neighborhood! We (the IAs) had a big debate at school this morning: we were told earlier this fall that we should be going to the in-services that dealt with 'Schools That Work.' I asked around if others were going today and they all said, "no!" No one had guts enough to ask the principal if we should be there because he's been a grouch all week since the grade book program is on the blink, and deficiencies were due at the beginning of the week. So I emailed the asst. principal and he didn't see the email until after school. The last meeting we had, the guy put an overhead on and gave us the hand-out, then read it to us. Today it was the principal with the computer overhead and hand-outs. At least this time we broke into groups which is more interesting, and had a half hour break for birthday treats. Out of 9 IAs, two of us were there, so I hope I get a star on my chart.

"Gma" -- It sounds like you had a nice birthday celebration with T. I love the 'num' story. Are you making the hat or just the scarf for your son? Thanks for the picture -- I like it. Can you knit and watch TV at the same time? My step-sister knits baby booties for the pregnancy crisis center; she's made thousands and can do it almost without looking. She tried to teach me but I was all thumbs and she was so nice to undo my mistakes and get me going again. I'm sure I tested her patience! Enjoy your 'out and about' days!

I have laundry going so need to change loads. Hope you all have a nice weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-25-2005, 05:20 AM   #7  

Morning gals! We are FINALLY getting some rain here, probably from the hurricane. I sure hope it cools things down.

We got the satellite put in and now we have all these lovely channels to pick from. This is the cool thing. We get 155 channels for $51, BUT for 4 months we get a special for $44, then we get a monthly savings taken off that of $15 from Bellsouth for having what they call a bundle so we are only going to be paying $29 a month for the first 4 months, then it will be $36 instead of $51 every month, cool huh? Now you add in our dsl, which is $45 and that is $81 versus the $120 we paid with stupid cable when we had it and cable modem internet!

Jean: I knit when I watch tv, but I am not one of those that can knit not looking. I am too afraid I would miss a stitch or something. I kind of do the look up look down method. I am only making him the scarf. I am not sure he would wear the hat. I know he has a brown winter coat (or I hope he still does ) so I am making him that and getting his some nice brown leather driving gloves I think. The only adult getting a hat is Kelly and that is because she asked for one specifically. Boy, your school sure puts you guys through the ringer! I don't understand why schools insist on going over the same garbage with teachers year after year like they can't remember. Ahh, well, it is a school and has school mentality I guess!

I got my beautiful furniture and it looks wonderful! It matches the color of my entertainment center AND T's little table and chair cube. So for now, alls well in Faye's world except for the heat and humidity (I got the home warranty contract on Friday and you guessed it the two things that have a wait clause of 30 days is heating and AC!). At least for the moment!

I am going to go out to the commissary today! I need groceries more than fighting the people out there.

Everyone have a great Sunday and talk to you later

Faye
Old 09-26-2005, 12:17 AM   #8  

Good Evening, Flowers!

We vacuumed cat fur and moved the couch back in front of the big picture window this morning; that is my 'winter' look as I think it helps to block out the cold. In the summer I like to open look where I can see the grass and flowers. It has rained almost all day! We've had a light shower, to heavy downpour, to gentle rain, to huge raindrops. I wonder if the variation has anything to do with Rita.

We made a trip to Sioux City, mainly because Penneys was having a "half off" sale and DH needed a couple of new sport coats, slacks, shirts, and ties. I don't get him to clothes shop very often so when he'll go we buy. We stopped in to see Beth and gks, then on to see Jason and his family. We planned to be home by 7 and we got home around 9:30. I did do some ironing. It's too late to start any more projects now!

"Gma" -- It sounds like your cost for TV and isp is a good deal. I checked on our's but we live too far 'out' and the phone lines aren't up-to-date. Guess I should be glad I can hook up to the internet at all. I'm glad you are enjoying your new furniture! The weather channel said that the southern states will be having hot weather for awhile longer so I hope you can keep cool until your 30 days are up.

I'm heading for bed shortly. Hope you all have a marvelous Monday and a great new week!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-26-2005, 07:13 AM   #9  

Morning girls! It is so sticky this morning your bare feet stick to the linoleum! UGH! We got remnants of the hurricane and of course, I was right in the thick of it coming home from the commissary yesterday. It was ugly with high wind and lashing rain.

My allergies are pretty bad this morning. My eyes are all swollen and I am coughing to beat the band so I am just giving you a short HI and I will check in later when I feel a little better.

Faye
Old 09-26-2005, 05:48 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood! The sun is shining, bright blue sky, and 70 degrees . . . I love it! It was a quiet day at school today so that is good.

"Gma" -- I hope you are feeling better soon! I was glad to see you today!

DH just got home so guess it must be suppertime and I haven't been to the store, so it will be pretty skimpy. Have a nice evening and a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-26-2005, 06:56 PM   #11  
Web Nana

Not a bad day here in this neighborhood. Cool, cloudy but we got a lot done. Both AC have been either taken in or insulated and covered and we moved some of the 'junk' in the garage in order to house a friend's car while she is having knee surgery.....replacement. She didn't want to leave her car in her driveway as it is on a busy street and might be tempting. Still need to clear the deck furniture and close up the attic but I thought today was a good beginning.

Faye: Now that you have that contract all you have to do is hope the weather Gods will cooperate for another 30 days. Your internet and TV connection sounds like a good deal. We have our local electric company supply us with the cable and internet and with senior discount it is #74.50 per month.....that is with one TV--digital and the other analog. The digital has about 200 channels and some that are just music which makes for nice background music.

Our commissary trip is tomorrow and it shouldn't be too bad. Don't need too much and since we are going away in Nov. I am trying to use up what I have on hand. On somethings I am way ahead.

Hope your allergies will be better soon! Faye, you will have to take some pics of your new furniture for us.

Jean: Your weather is so like ours. Today was 70 but cloudy and tonight we are to get some rain.....may stop the Red Sox from playing....oh well!

You are energetic...ironing that late in the evening. I am a morning person and if I can't get it done before noon.....forget it. I like to iron right when I get up.

We are going to the Cape this weekend Fri thru Mon. The same group that was there for the 4th. Should be fun.

Gloria in MA....have a great week Jean & Faye!!!
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:59 PM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers! I just picked up my new glasses and think I am going to like trifocals! At least now I can sit back from the computer and see what I'm doing. It's a bit windy here today but the sun was shining and it's a pleasant 82 degrees outside. Those blasted little black bugs have arrived as well as the orange ones that look like lady bugs.

Gloria -- Getting ready for 'winter' isn't much fun but yet it is a nice job to have done. It just poured rain on Sunday so I hope you don't have a couple days of that. The guys had wanted to close the cabin and get the dock out but now are looking at next Sunday. One thing about Iowa weather, if you don't like it just wait a few hours and it will change. I usually iron while I watch the 10:00 news and if I'd had a catnap in the evening I seem to have more energy when I should be heading off to bed. Somehow I should figure out how to turn that cycle around.

"Gma" -- I hope your allergies don't have you down for the count!

I need to do a load of laundry left over from the weekend so better get moving. Have a nice evening and a wonderful Wednesday. Another week is flying by!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-28-2005, 08:33 AM   #13  

Morning gals! It is nice and cool this morning but is supposed to be in the 80's again today so who knows? I am going to go to Michael's and get 2 skeins of the baby yarn and try and get the darned blanket finished by tomorrow. I am tired of working on it!

Jean: I am still having problems, but you can't just lie around all the time. I took Jack to work this AM and am going to get some errands done. I told him this morning I was going to spend all his money today on my birthday! lol I don't mind being 52 today, but that means half you life is over and that is a little depressing! I do have 4 packages coming though so that will be nice. I know my sister bought me I Love Lucy stuff for my kitchen, which I can't wait to see.

Gloria: Hope you got all your summer/winter changeout done. We are hoping it will cool off and we won't need either so then we can just wait until furnace time and call them. It is cooler right now so at least you can sleep at night.

I will post some pics of the furniture as soon as Jack gets the network connection fixed. I don't know what is going on, but I can't get into stuff

Have a good day girls

Faye
Old 09-28-2005, 10:30 PM   #14  

Good Evening, Flowers! I went to a Pampered Chef bridal shower this evening. I've never been to a bridal shower show before. The demonstrator was excellent and could inspire me to cook again. LOL I wish I could afford to order more but at the same time it's kind of silly to buy stuff I wouldn't use very often (according to my DH!). He tells people he unplugged the stove last month and I still haven't noticed.

It's a cool 49 degrees in my corner of the world tonight. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 80s again. *sigh*

"Gma" -- Just remember that each birthday, no matter how old you are, is better than the alternative! And a very to you today! I hope your day was a special one!

I need to figure out what to wear tomorrow. Have a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 09-29-2005, 08:32 AM   #15  

Good morning gals! It is beautifully cool this morning so maybe I can get some things done today. I did nothing yesterday except go to Michaels and get more yarn, so have double to do today on my cleaning schedule. I was supposed to go out to lunch with dd but she went home from work with a migrane. Jack took me out to eat last night and I got this adorable I Love Lucy clock from my son and dil for my birthday. I also received Home Interior candles from a close friend who sells Home Interior, canisters, mug holder and papertowel holder from my sister with the same I Love Lucy pattern for my kitchen so I am on my way! I got a beautiful card from my sister whose husband has the MS and is in a nursing home. It was so sweet of her to think of me as I know she can't afford to even spend money on a card.

Jean: I love to cook most of the time and fool around in the kitchen, so that explains part of my weight problems! Both my sisters hate to cook and are pretty bad for the most part. I can cook from scratch without recipes pretty much unless I am trying something different. Funny thing is, I never had anyone teach me to cook at all and never ventured into the kitchen when I was a kid except to wash dishes! When I got married, cooking was pretty hard for me to learn, but Jack kept his mouth shut and ate it bless his heart. We have had some good laughs over "mistakes." For example, we got married the Sat before Thanksgiving and his 2 former roommates bought a huge turkey for a wedding present and invited themselves to dinner. Of all things to "cut your teeth on" so to speak in the cooking venue, turkey is a bad one!!!!! You guessed it, I left EVERYTHING inside it as I had no idea there was anything inside it. The lovely scent of burned paper clued my hubby in! On top of that, my grandmother always cooked her stuffing outside the bird in a casserole, so I was SOOOOOO dumb, I bought croutons, poured them in a bowl and baked them expecting dressing to pop out of the oven! Even after 33 years, Jack and I still get a good laugh over that one!

Here are a couple pics of my new pieces and T's hat that I have finished! Yahoo! I hope to get that blasted baby blanket done in the next couple days and get it mailed out so I can start on new projects. I have the yarn for my dil's, sons, and sil's scarves and the stuff for those rotten mittens for T.

Hope you all have a great day!

Faye