Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 03:17 PM   #1  
CJ
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 184/172/130

Height: 5'4

Default ~ Thin Wannabees #6 ~

Hello and welcome to the Thin Group!

We are a friendly group of ladies who have one thing in common. We are all working together toward our goal of being healthier in our daily lifestyles and to lose weight. There are all different ages and backgrounds here and we all have different ways of losing our weight. We all love to have fun and laugh, but we also give a lot of support, encouragement and motivation for one another, not just in weight loss, but in all of our daily joys and struggles.

Everyone has their ups and downs and we’ll be here with you thru both! Please feel free to post with us - just jump right in and believe me, you will be welcomed with open arms. The more the merrier!

So please join us and let's work together towards a healthier us!!

Please feel free to check out our website and learn more about us at: The Thin Group

Old 09-13-2005, 03:19 PM   #2  
CJ

Default I'm A Brat - I'm A Brat - I'm A Brat!!

Here we go - #6! Make sure you check the last thread for any posts you may have missed. So, let's get chatting!

Love, CJ
Old 09-14-2005, 02:07 AM   #3  

Well, well, well ... seems like CJ is up to her old tricks .... BRAT BRAT BRAT!

I took Nico for a 2 hour walk this morning. I felt very good and really wanted to keep going. I have to get used to the walking as I'm doing the American Heart Association's Heart Walk at the end of the month. I've been watching the carbs but haven't cut them out completely and I've stopped eating late at night. Eating late at night is what's been getting me. I haven't eaten anything after 8:00pm for a week and I do feel the difference. Not much difference but enough that I can notice it.

Oh, I've got to run. Big hugs to all of you!
Old 09-14-2005, 12:01 PM   #4  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Tonight...tonight I get to ride MY NEW BIKE!!! *happy dance, and a quick prayer that it holds off raining*

I used to love riding when I was a kid, but gave up in college when the weight really started packing on. Then one spring I got out of my dorm to discover that the snow plows that had kept the sidewalks clear of snow had crunched my bike (the pieces of which were still dutifully chained to the bike rack). That was the end of biking for me.

Then a few months ago Hunter got a bike seat for his bike for Gem. I really wanted to join them. I felt like an old, fat poop for not even trying. So I dutifully got on his old bike and wobbled around the block, expecting the tires to pop at any moment. I hadn't ridden in over 20 years and 100 pounds. What a rush!

But I couldn't continue. I tried again a few days later, and did make it around the block a couple more times. But those thin little tires just didn't do it for me. I was sure I'd hurt the bike, blow the tires, fall over and lie in a broken, bloody heap on the sidewalk where my neighbors, who probably don't know me from Adam, wouldn't know who to contact to help. *melodramatic back-of-the-hand-to-the-forehead "Ah, me!" gesture*

So when my birthday came around in August, and Hunter asked what I wanted, I told him I wanted a bike of my own, suitable for my weight. We went with some friends to the bike shop. It was really uncomfortable for me at first. The guy we talked to basically said they didn't carry what I wanted, and that I should go online and look, and then come back and order it. Not a very good salesman, but I think he was a little aback by me. Everyone in there was fit, even if they weren't all slender.

So I wandered around looking lost a while longer, an almost overwhelming feeling of "my god what the **** do I think I'm doing? Maybe I should just go home and forget it." in the pit of my stomach. I tried to look at the bikes knowledgeably, trying to connect what little I'd gleaned from him about mountain bikes vs. "comfort bikes" vs. "hybrids" vs. well, whatever. Who knew there were so many kinds of bikes? I felt much more comfortable when looking at things I could understand. Helmets, bells, baskets, lights...

Finally, my girlfriend got tired of watching me sink deeper and deeper into a fugue and flagged down a female saleperson to help me. She explained again, in terms I could understand this time, the different types of bikes. They didn't have "comfort bikes" in stock, but they could order one and assemble it for me. She let me try out different sizes of bikes, even holding one while I climbed on very shakily, to test what height I would need. She didn't laugh when I almost fell. We looked at their stock of comfort bikes online, and she explained the differences between the different models. (the thought of 21 gears scares me, but I'll deal)

We ordered one. It ended up being back-ordered, but they finally got it and assembled it. Hunter brought it home last night.

So I'm hoping to ride tonight if it's not raining, then take a day or two off to let the inevitable saddle soreness dissipate, then go again. I hope to ride two or three times a week, and am already planning out different routes I can try around the neighborhood until I'm comfortable on the heavier-traffic roads. I am practicing visualizing my success as I bike to church, or the elementary school, or explore more than five blocks away in our neighborhood (which is about as far as I've walked in the five years we've lived here). I have visualized the route to Phillip's farm for produce, and to the big park for picnics and playground, and to the Hair Cuttery, and the library...

I can do this. I am determined to re-learn something I used to enjoy so very much, and overcome these silly fears about being too old, too fat, too graceless. I am determined to be a good example for Gem and Hunter of how we can incorporate healthy, fun movement into our daily lives.

Besides... it means another excuse to shop for cool accessories...

*goes back to looking at http://www.sportsbay.com/sportsbay/baskets.html for just the right basket for her new bike*
Old 09-15-2005, 01:25 AM   #5  

Synger,
So happy to hear that you got your bike. I recently bought a bike. It's nothing fancy, just a plan bike no gears. It's like the one I rode when I was a kid. My grandkids love to come over to our house and ride their bikes, so now I can ride with them. It's been about 40 years since I've been on a bike!!!!!!! I just love being able to ride with the kids and they love having a grandma that rides with them. Hope you have lots of fun on your new bike. It's a great way to exercise.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:55 AM   #6  
Taking It A Day At A Time

Default CJ You Little Brat!

Well my my my, if CJ isn't the Brattiest of The Thin Group! Ha Ha You are really a BRAT BRAT BRAT, just in case you didn't know it. I see you are still up to your old tricks and starting new theads again. HA HA Well it is still good to see you back to your old self and being Bratted royally by all of us. Ha Ha This is for you oh Queen CJ!

Ok, now I am glad to see everything and everyone up and running. That is great!

Jo-Hey welcome back girlfriend. Glad you came back to the fold. We have missed you so much, but I see you have changed your name. What happened to Jello? I do love the Daring2Dream name though. When did you change it? You know I have thought of you fondly since you have been gone, wondered how you have been and missed you so much. You have been there since the beginning with The Thin Group. When I joined there was only you, CJ and maybe one or two more, including this girl, who helped start the Thin Group and than up and disappeared. What the heck was her name? Help me out Jo or CJ, hope your memory is better than mine. I usually do have a pretty good memory, but somehow the name escapes me. I wonder where she went too. Glad things are going great for you and you are still with Rich. Gosh you two have been together for quite a while and I am happy for you. I hope your new job is better than the old one, I remember fondly about how you used to work with this one WITCH of a woman and she used to drive you nuts. Have fun in the Virgin Island's with Rich, you work hard and deserve to go somewhere fun to rest and relax in the sun.

janice-Glad that your brother in Mississippi and his family are alright. I know you were so worried and glad that you had some good news too. Wow congrats to you for going down a size. Good idea to all try really hard now that we still have a bit of summer and the fall left for us to kick butt. We can all try for another size by Christmas we will look so very sheek. LOL Well I don't know about that for me, but I think it will help me to remember how far I have come and worked and maybe help me to avoid some of those holiday temptations.

CJ-OK little Brat, glad to see you are back in the saddle and really trying to get back on program. Actually with all the company you have had, you haven't done too bad I don't feel. I know what it is like with company, when you spend time with your sister and go out and eat, it sure is hard to make good choices isn't it? I have been trying now that we have been home for awhile to just cook at the house and that seems to be much better for me. When Ken and I travel we eat out so much, at Chrissy's and daughter, Tracy's place. We tried to cook at Traces, but ended up eating out too in St Louis, so much to see and do there. What can we do but try try again right? Sorry we didn't get to get out and see you, I begged Ken to make a pit stop, but he said it was pretty far out of the way and with time restrictions and gas prices soaring we just couldn't make it there. But don't worry, we will one of these days, and what fun we will have.

synger-Way to go with your new bike. That is great. I just loved your bike story. I can really relate to what you said. I don't like those bikes with the skinny little seats at all, makes my butt hurt. Ken got me a regular old fashion one with no gears and a big comfortable seat. I love it! Isn't it funny that you couldn't get any satisfaction or imfomation out of the guy salesman and he made you feel uncomfortable and seemed unwilling to help you out. But than you get the ladysalesman and things change, this time she is very helpful and knowledgeable and she made you feel very comfortable to be around and she was able to help you get your bike. Either that guy was a jerk or didn't know bikes from beans. Ha Ha But I am so very glad your friend rose to the occasion and got you that great lady to help you out. Have fun with your bike and I know this bike will really change your life for the better and you will get to where you want to be. Well not exactly what you have but close enough and the only thing I could find. LOL

sylvia-You are walking for the American Heart Association? You know Chrissy is doing that too and has raised quite a bit of money for the wonderful cause. Good for you for doing that and good luck with your walk, I just know you will do great. All that walking with little Nico is sure to help you out. I think the plan of not eating late at night is great and I try to practice it as well. It seems to have helped me get where I want to be too, I also have been trying to get all my water in by at least 6 PM otherwise I will be up several times a night to go to the bathroom. LOL We can all do this I just know it. You are doing great sylvia, I am proud of you for all you do, you are a wonderful lady and I love you much. Thanks for all the prayers for Chrissy and her family, I will tell her, she always loved you very much.

Peggy come on back in here and post with us, We all miss you lots and lots!

Also Sherry, come on back again. I love when you post with us, you busy lady. Hope things are going great for you and I know you are back working at your school and going all the time. But I miss and love you much!

We would love to hear from some of the others we miss: Marblefly, Jane, Karla/Shortiemetoo, Norissa/Mom Of 3 Monsters, Motiv8ed, and Yvette120 too. We want to hear from you guy, let us know how things are going for you.

Well better get off here, I am trying to get things done around here. Son, Dan wants to go to see his Air Force sister, Tracy in Illinois tomorrow and wants me to go with him. Tracy wants me to come too cause I guess Dan and her husband, Brett will probably be playing his Playstation all weekend, till we drag them out, and she wants me to go shopping and do things like that cause she says the guys are BORING! So this will be yet another trip to see her and you can bet we will be going to my favorite place good old St. Louis, which is really close to where she lives. But don't worry guys, it will only be for 3 days and will be back on Monday or maybe I can get on her computer and post this weekend in between our coming and goings.

So talk to you guys later, and love you all. Love, Sassy Sharon

Last edited by Sassy; 09-15-2005 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:44 PM   #7  
Taking It A Day At A Time

Yoo Hoo! Where is everyone? I posted 10 days ago and no one has posted since than. Come on guys, I don't want to be alone anymore. I need some company so get in here and talk to me. OK?

CJ where are you? Did you fall off the face of this earth? I sure hope not.

Hey Sylvia where are you too? And synger, Janice, Peggy?
And what about good old, Jo alias Jello, you always come though too I remember. Post again and talk to me.

And who could forget Sherry? Come Out Come Out wherever you are. I miss you lots and lots. I would love to hear from you too, come back to the fold and post.

Well anyone else too, old or new or even brand new, take a few minutes and post with our group. Would love to hear from anyone, even if you are lurking come on and post with the Wonderful Thin Group.

Love you guys and hope the next time I check I get a bunch of posts. I would love that.

Love you guys much, Sassy Sharon
Old 09-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #8  

Hi Sharon,

Remember me? I didn't want you to be all alone, so I'm popping in to say hello. It's been a long time since I've posted. Glad to see that CJ, Sylvia, and Jo are also here.

I need some motivation!

Trish
Old 09-27-2005, 09:39 AM   #9  
An Oldie and A Goodie

Hidy ho! Yeah, I'm still around. Sure is quiet here sometimes.

Hey Ms. Sassy Sharon! I do think about you and CJ and this bunch a lot of the time. Nice to "see" you all here.

Trish, I just noticed you're in PA. I think I knew that. Whereabouts are you, if I may ask? I live just north of Philadelphia.

Regarding weight loss, I'm still plodding along. 1 step forward and 2 steps back. No, I guess that's not true. It's more like 1 forward and 1 back. And here I sit.

As of today, I have exactly 6 weeks before I leave for sunny St. John. Hm... Any chance of me losing 40 lbs by then? Guess not. But I'll hang in there.

Talk to you all again soon.
Your old friend, Jo
Old 09-27-2005, 09:47 AM   #10  
CJ

Hi - I am here! Sorry for not being around but I have not been feeling well lately ... had a bit of stomach flu or something and my back is out again and sitting at the computer is not a good thing. But, I've been thinking of you all that's for sure. Our son and DIL were up for the weekend, they just left for home a few minutes ago.

Trish: Welcome back to the group! Hope you will stay with us - we'll give you all the motivation you need! Glad to see you back.

Sharon: Sorry you and Ken couldn't make a swing up here .. but dont' worry, I understand. Maybe next time ..... I really really miss you guys!

Janice: Where are you?? How are you doing? Did you get on your new bikes and forget to turn around? lol ..... well, don't desert us ... come on in and post and let us know how everything is going.

Slyvia: Your walk is coming up isn't it? Good luck on it .. I know you will do great!

Jo: Hows it going? Keep in touch.

Peggy? Synger? .. come out come out wherever you are!

Well ... I need to get busy and get Dick's bag packed .. he is leaving tomorrow morning for Maine - he's meeting a friend of ours there and is going to help him bring back his antique fire truck. He will be gone until Sunday .. I will be here in the woods all my my lonesome! I will be fine .. I am actuall planning on redoing my cubbords .. cleaning, and putting in new liners. That will keep me busy, that and my knitting. I am making a couple ponchos for xmas presents. I'll check back later .. hope to hear from everyone soon.

Later......
Love, CJ
Old 09-27-2005, 09:53 AM   #11  
CJ

Hey JO ... I guess we were posting at the same time ... so hello, I wasn't ignoring you. Well, I guess you could lose 40 lbs in 6 weeks if you just didn't eat but that sure wouldn't be healthy! lol ...... just keep trying like the rest of us and one day it will all come together and we'll be thinner! Just never give up trying! St John's is beatufiful. I remember it when we were on our cruise. That will be a fun trip! Glad you posted ... talk to you soon.

Love, CJ
Old 09-27-2005, 06:56 PM   #12  

Hi,

CJ, thanks for the welcome back. I'll try to post regularly if the rest of you do too. Sorry to hear about your bad back. I've had some back problems in the past and know how painful it can be.

Jo, I live in the Lehigh Valley. If I remember correctly, I think you have some family living in this area. I went to the Celtic Festival last weekend in Bethlehem; lots of good food, music, and crafts. I hope you stick around and post often. Your sense of humor always made this thread a fun place to visit. I don't think you can lose 40 lbs. in six weeks. How about 12 to 15? That's more realistic. How about if I try to lose the same amount in the next six weeks? Are you up for the challenge?

Since it's been a while since I've posted, here's an update on me. I'm still working full time. My daughter and son-in-law had a baby last December, so I now have a 9 month old granddaughter (my first grandchild) who's a real cutie! My husband was told to restrict his sodium intake for health reasons last spring, so we have cut most prepackaged and processed foods out our diets because they all have large amounts of sodium. I managed to lose about ten lbs. eating mostly fresh foods and cooking with herbs instead of salt. My husband lost about 20 lbs. What is it about men that makes them lose weight more easily?! We went to Hawaii for two weeks in August, and I gained a few lbs. back. I'd like to lose that and lot more.

Hope to hear from everyone soon!

Take care,
Trish
Old 09-28-2005, 06:28 PM   #13  

CJ,
I'm back . I've been real busy trying to get my garden ready for Fall. The rain will be here soon and I won't want to work in the garden. I just ordered the G.I. Diet. I'm going to try it and see if the weight doesn't come off a little faster. I read a magazine about the diet and it sounds like it works real well.
Good to see more people are posting. Synger hope you are having fun with your new bike. Well, got to go. We are going out with friends
janicej
Old 09-30-2005, 02:36 AM   #14  

Hello Ladies! :wave

It's so nice to see some of the "old" faces posting here again. I'm popping in for a quick hello as I have to get some sleep. My Heart Walk is tomorrow. I raised $235. Not bad but a bit shy of my goal of $300. I still don't know how many miles it's going to be ... they are sneaky, I wonder why? I just hope it's not 10 miles or anything close to that. I won't be able to finish that!

Well ladies, I'm falling asleep as I type this. A big hello and hugs to: Jo, Trish, Synger, CJ, Sharon, Peggy and Janice. Keep up the good work!
Old 10-04-2005, 12:18 PM   #15  
An Oldie and A Goodie

Hello again all! Like Sylvia said, it's so nice to see the ol' faces here.

Trish, I remember now that you live in my hometown area! I almost made it to the Celtic Fest this year but not quite. Spent quite a few days at Musikfest in August as usual. It was sooooooooo hot but we had a good time anyway. My brother and his family come in from Ohio every year for it and it was nice to see them again. Actually, my sis-in-law had breast cancer and a mastectomy early this year and is undergoing chemotherapy. But she looked FANTASTIC and has a GREAT attitude.

BTW Trish, I'm thinking a challenge is a great idea. It's officially 5 weeks now before I get on the plane to St. John. I've done nothing (at least nothing good) about my weight since I first posted here a couple weeks ago. So can we start today? 10 lbs in 5 weeks???

Anyone else interested in this? Don't have to post your weight, just keep track of how many lbs lost each week. Today is X. I hope to be X-10 by November 8. :

Well, I'm supposed to be working so I'll go. Talk to you all soon, I hope!

Jo
Closed Thread