Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-25-2005, 08:46 PM   #1  

Default What a "trainer" said to me

So I went to Sports Authority today and the man in the weight section asks if he can help. He tells me he was a trainer for many years. I ask for 1 lb. weights to add to my weight set so that I can up my barbells by 2 lbs. for the BFL heavier reps. He tells me they don't make 1 lbs. Okay. Then, after unsuccessfully trying to sell me 1 lb. neoprene weights (not my point, I tell him), he asks me what I am doing. I tell him BFL and say I want to have 12lbs. for my dumbells for when I increase weights and decrease reps on the bi-curl (Don't laugh, I know it's whimpy -- I'm gettting there). He tells me then to be careful and never go below double digits in reps because it will make a woman bulk up. Now, I have read you all quite well and I just don't believe I am going to "bulk up" -- not anymore than I want to at least I did walk away wondering, though, if there is some other reasoning to not going below double digits in reps??? Your thoughts?
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 12:09 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

I'm not a trainer, but I'll share what I do know. The only thing I can think of that he is talking about is higher weights - lower reps are for building mass, and lower weights and higher reps are for strength. But he's WAY off about the bulking bit! Surely he isn't a trainer, and if he is then he is an idiot.

I only wish bulking up could be a quick thing that happened before I realized it! It takes months and sometimes years to reach the physical goal we want with weightlifting, and bulking up requires hormones that most women don't have enough of, and lots and lots and lots of training. Weight training is a gradual process and we don't have to worry about giant muscles popping out spontaneously. If it were me, I'd go back and ask him for his credentials.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:44 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Some days when I'm feeling pooped I "go below double digits in reps" and I'm gutted to say I have not "bulked up"!

There's a lot of out there! Mind you don't step in it!

I had a class instructor tell me that her weight class was to "tone" rather than "bulk" gimme a break!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:52 AM   #4  
Mel

My heavy set on shoulders and arms, chest and back is usually 6-8 reps. If I make it. I lift heavy. I'm curling 30 pounds db's and doing overhead presses with 40's. I'm one of the smallest women I know (Ask Jennifer). I'd LOVE to put on more muscle. Ask him to call me and tell me how to do it. Without drugs.

The bulky look comes from fat over the muscles or drugs. 99.9% or women can't do it naturally.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:07 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

What I like to do is to alternate every few weeks between heavy lifting and light lifting, but I much prefer heavy lifting. I don't think I'm bulky and I've been doing it for 20 years...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Somebody's signature used to say "If it's so easy to get accidently bulked up why isn't everyone slim?"
I'm paraphrasing, but you know what I mean.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:37 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

I remember that one Susan... Here's the exact quote:

Quote:
"Don't you think if it was easy to get too muscular, that it would be even easier to just get toned? So why isn't everyone at least toned if it is so easy to get too muscular?"

I had liked it so much that I had saved it. It was Love2lift's BB husband who had told her that when they first started working out together... I wonder how L2L is? I hope she's lurking at least...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

That's the one! Thanks Ilene.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:01 AM   #9  

I thought as much. And I knew you all would have the right answer -- seeing as the people here are the true front line of weight lifting. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

My gym has these one pound magnets that you can stick on the end of dumbells or add to a weight stack on a machine (it's often a good workout just trying to get them unstuck once you're done!). I have no idea where they got them, but I'm glad they did.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:31 PM   #11  

So how big was this guy? I assume he was huge if going under 10 reps makes him "bulk up".

If you are interested in small weights I use magnetic weights in the 0.5#-2.5# range to stick onto fixed dumbells or the plates on a barbell. Here is a link: Platemates

They are sold in pairs.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:33 PM   #12  
Mel

Sheila- to get the platemates off, twist them a bit rather than just trying to pull them. Or knock them lightly against the metal part of the db or bb rack.

Platemate are women's best friend in the gym! Once you get over 15 pound dumbbells, most gyms' sets only go up in 5 pound increments. When you are doing shoulders, especially, there's a HUUUUUGE difference between 15 and twenty pounds! If your gym doesn't have platemates, I'd suggest buying some yourself and marking your initials on them in neon pink or orange nail polish.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:45 PM   #13  

Okay I use weights and dang I look good I train heavy and I train hard but there is no way that I am ever going to look like a man unless I used steriods. this is the reason most women will not use weight they are afraid they will bulk up. Okay lets say he is telling the truth.( which he isn't) now you know why he use to be a trainer. But suppose you started weight training and you starting bulking up and you thought you look terrible then just stop and your body would soon go back to normal. I weigh 144 people think I am smaller in weight because where I once had fat it is now toned muscle which looks sleek and attractive at least to me and my hubby. be strong and stay healthy
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:05 PM   #14  

Thanks for the link Robert. I will have to invest in those. I think I went as high as I can go on shoulders today. No way am I going to 15 next. I'll need 12.

The "trainer" was indeed not huge himself, though certainly in good shape. I did actually laugh with my dh about his "ex" trainer status and the advice he gave.

The sad thing is that, even though I have a fair amount of experience weight lifting, I am still intimidated a bit by someone like him because I do not yet hav the perfect body. So, I walk away with some self-doubt. When does this go away? Or does it always remain a part of our inner fat girl?
Old 09-26-2005, 05:35 PM   #15  

Yeah, a 1# increase when you are lifting 15# DB's is reasonable. 5# is way too big.

Microloading with platemates can be useful even with big lifts like the bench or barbell OHP if you want to try single progression (same #reps/sets, increased weight). The theory is that you can increase a big lift by 1#/workout and your body can sustain this modest increase for weeks and weeks. When you finally plateau, you are supposed to drop the weight down and work your way back up to a new PR.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote