Old 09-22-2005, 02:26 PM   #1  
Dieting in Dallas

Default Howdy

Hi- my name is Barbara ( I sometimes go by the nickname Babs) and I am brand new to the group. I am a little scared, but I have to take this 1st step and lose this weight. I am hoping that this group will help me get motivated.

I am 38, married, and live in Dallas, TX. I love quilting, and playing the piano, and singing. I've been overweight my entire life.

I am a full time college student again after not being in college for 12 years. It is really embarassing that I cannot fit into the desks. I have to sit at the tables they have reserved for students in wheelchairs. Which means that I sit right in front of the class and everyone has to look at me. I want to be able to fit into a regular desk. I want to be able to walk across campus without huffing and puffing, I want to be able to climb the stairs instead of taking the elevator.

Hope to get to know ya'll. I read and post mostly on the weekdays and don't have much access on weekends.

Babs
quiltingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:27 PM   #2  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Hiya Babs! Welcome! I also love to sing and play piano! I can barely sew a button, though!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:37 PM   #3  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Hi Babs, I know what you mean about the desk. I have dealt with that all my life. You can do it and you will be so much happier. I still love how it feels to sit somewhere I used to not be able to. Look forward to getting to know you better.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Welcome!!

Oh, man, I can certainly empathize with you and the desks. I, too, was in school when I weighed 80 lbs. more than I do now, and the desk thing was embarassing for sure. I loved the classes where we had tables only. I'm so glad you're not letting your weight stop you from pursuing your dream. You should be proud of yourself for that!

Tell us what you're doing to get yourself healthy. Post as much as you can. You'll find lots of great inspiration here.

P.S. How about some photos of the quilts you've made? I'm a quilt lover, and even got my sewing machine tuned up in preparation for trying to make one. I need some encouragement on that front, though.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:59 PM   #5  
Dieting in Dallas

Thanks for the messages so far.

I'm currently going to a local community college to finish my basics. I'll be there for a year, and then I'll be transferring to the University of Texas at Dallas. I'm majoring in English and Humanities and will get a teacher certification to teach at the 4th-8th grade level.

My hubby went to the doctor yesterday for the first time in forever. Everyone else in his family is diabetic, and I am figuring that he is also. We both need to lose a lot of weight.

So far, I've just been cutting back on not eating so much junk. I've been trying really hard not to eat after 7:00pm,. but sometimes I get the late night munchies. I quit eating ice cream, and am trying to cut back on Diet Coke. My doctor thinks that it's making me gain weight. I'm also cutting out some other trigger foods.

I haven't been getting much exercise, we are still having 100 degree days here in Dallas. I get some walking going back and forth to class, but decided that I've got to have some dedicated exercise beyond that. I don't like walking at the local mall. I have back problems and sometimes get back spasms and there just aren't enough places for me to sit down and stretch to get the spasms to stop. Even at the campus I have to pace myself and allow plenty of time between classes to get from point a to point b.

Well, that's why I'm here. I want to be able to walk without stopping and sitting down every 100 steps. I want to quit breaking a sweat climbing a flight of stairs.

Gotta get off this computer and head to my part time job. I work as an office assistant several afternoons a week at a Child Care center.

Babs
quiltingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Hi and welcome to the group.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:30 PM   #7  
One pound at a time...

Welcome to the group and post often!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:14 PM   #8  

Hello Babs, Welcome to the group.
jmacway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:24 PM   #9  

Howdy back at 'cha! Welcome to the group, we look forward to getting to know you!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:40 PM   #10  

Hi Barbara,

Welcome to the group. Glad you are taking your first step to a healthier you. You have found a welcoming and wonderful place to give and receive support as you journey to a new you!
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:08 PM   #11  
Tenacious

Welcome to the forum Babs! I hope to see more post from you. And I second what Sheila said about not letting your weight prevent you from following your dreams!
DeterminedInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:12 PM   #12  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Welcome Babs!
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:17 PM   #13  
Crazy Canuck

Welcome, Babs ~ looking forward to getting to know you better!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:39 PM   #14  

Ooh a quilter -- I second the desire for photos! Welcome. You'll love it here!
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:51 PM   #15  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Welcome Babs,
It's wonderful to have you here

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote