Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 09:45 PM   #1  
Sweat is my friend!

Default If you eat Fish..

Can you share your favorite recipes? I bought some fish last night and I plan to cook it either tomorrow or Wed and need some recipes. I used to put breadcrumbs ontop but I'm wanting to get away from that..if at all possible in making it taste good without.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

When I buy a fish we've never had before, the first time I cook it plain. A little olive oil in my cast iron frying pan. New tastes are fun. Then I decide what I'd do next time. With salmon we like dill, parsley and a squish of lemon ... all in a foil packet on the barbeque.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #3  
Determined

I don't love the taste of fish, so I try to disguise it a little. I have a good recipe somewhere for orange glazed salmon that is healthy. I'll try to dig it up for you. another good option is low sugar barbeque sauce in a foil packet on the grill. That tastes good with salmon as well.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:48 AM   #4  
Determined

PS - your avatar scared me a little at first!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:51 AM   #5  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

What kind of fish is it? Fillet or a whole fish? and how thick are the pieces? Let me know, and I'll pull out a couple recipes. I eat fish at least 4x a week, I love the stuff!
Old 09-20-2005, 10:02 AM   #6  

We squeeze lemon on our fish and then add a bit of the lemon rind and then a bt of coarse sea salt. We usually cook it on the grill or under the broiler on one side. Soooo good and works for most fish!
Old 09-22-2005, 10:45 AM   #7  
Sweat is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
What kind of fish is it? Fillet or a whole fish? and how thick are the pieces? Let me know, and I'll pull out a couple recipes. I eat fish at least 4x a week, I love the stuff!
Oh! We like Talopia (I think that's how you spell it?) as I hate a strong fishy taste..bleh. So I got about 2lbs at a time and eat it throughout the week. They are thinly cut fillets. I got some Old Bay seasoning at the store the other night and everyone says it's good on fish.

Also, since I don't like a strong fish taste, this leaves out salmon but I know that salmon is extremely good for you. Can you give me any tips on how to dress it up to where it does not taste so strong? I do miss having it but the smell..ick.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:45 PM   #8  

I LOVE Tilapia! I usually broil mine with garlic powder, cajun seasoning, black pepper, and crushed red peper, and I sometimes squeeze a little lemon juice or white wine on top. I've also tried spreading some spicy brown mustard over the top before baking or broiling it. Then, sometimes, I also bake it over a bed of brown rice with a creamy fat free cream of chicken soup, fat free sour cream, and white wine sauce, seasoned with all those yummy spices. Mmmmm, YUM!

Beverly
Old 09-22-2005, 04:46 PM   #9  

Chef Paul's Magic Salmon Seasoning!

I just recently tried salmon and while I don't particularly like fish in general I really like salmon with this seasoning, it compliments it well I think. However, you would probably want to be careful not to use too much because of the sodium content. Very tasty though!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:40 AM   #10  
it's always something

I love tilapia, it's the only fish I buy now, other than salmon. I think the flavor is very mild and is very flexible. I buy a fish seasoning through World Merchants that is delicious. I just sprinkle it on both sides of the fish and bake it till done. The seasoning is called Calico Fish Rub
Quote:
We designed this mix to look great against the color of salmon but we liked the flavor so much we started using it on everything from Mahi Mahi to Cod. With a base of dark purple Syrian Sumac providing tartness, you won’t even miss the lemon wedge. The deep red Aleppo chilies add a mild and fruity heat, Black Sesame gives a nutty crunch, and Hawaiian Red Sea Salt hints at the ocean. The wisps of green are Dill Weed fresh from the fields of California.
I also love fish cooked over a charcoal grill and served with a fresh corn salsa.

I LOVE salmon, and here is my favorite salmon recipe.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:27 PM   #11  

Another mild tasting fish to try is Mahi Mahi. I don't like "fishy" fish either and Mahi Mahi has a meatier taste. Catfish is pretty mild as well and, believe it or not, doesn't HAVE to be fried!

As for fish recipies, these are my standards:

Marinade in equal parts of olive oil, lemon juice, and lots of garlic and parsley for about half an hour or so. Grill or Broil.

Mix breadcrumbs (about 1 tablespoon per filet), a sprinkle of parsley and parmesan cheese then drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil or butter and a bit of lemon juice (just enough to hold the crumb mixture together. Mix melted butter and lemon juice and dip fish in it (it doesn't take a lot - just enough to flavor the fish and keep it from sticking). Broil it on high for a few minutes and then sprinkle with about a tablespoon of the crumb mixture. Return to the broiler until crumbs are lightly browned.

Mix 3 tablespoons each of honey, soy sauce, and balsmic vinegar, 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger, 1 clove of garlic (chopped), and 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper then marinate in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil over med-high heat and cook fish about 4 minutes on each side (depending on thickness). Remove fish and add marinade. Heat to boiling and stir often until it reduces to a glaze. Pour over fish and serve. This one is good on the grill too.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:44 PM   #12  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, I've been trying to like fish for 66 years now and I'm still trying! Thanks for the ideas! I'm planning one new fish recipe per week these days. If I still don't like it when I'm 90, I'll just give up!
Old 09-24-2005, 08:32 AM   #13  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Tilapia is one of my new favs too....here is something super simple for it.

Spray pam a pan, preheat oven at 375-400.

sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder and bake for 10 min. While its baking mix 1 tsp butter w/1 tbsp gargonzola cheese with a splash of lemon juice. Mix well, and when fish is done, put a blob on each fillet, and bake for another 5 min.

Thats it!! If your not crazy about gargonzola cheese, try blue cheese, or feta instead.

Ive tried old bay seasoning on my fish and other things, but Im just not crazy about it. More often than not, Ive used rubs for chicken on my fish. Dont rub it in, just sprinkle it on. Very tastey too

If you're allowing a bit of butter in your diet, fish fried in a tbsp of butter is just heavenly!

Breading for fish....I have no measurements, I go by the smell of it breadcrumbs, seasoning salt, pepper, parm cheese, italian seasoning. If it smells just like breadcrumbs, you dont have enough seasonings. Make sense? Sorry, thats about the best I can do for that. But if you give it a try, dip fillets in egg, then in the batter, and fry in butter.

Salmon, I love salmon, but if you dont like the strong flavour, try it on the grill. Make up a marinade of lemon juice from one lemon, garlic powder and pepper. Let it sit for about an hour. Then grill it, over cook it a bit. (a little less strong that way)

Tartar sauce (of sorts) excellent on salmon.....
1 cup nonfat sour cream
1 tomato
good bunch of fresh dill
salt and pepper

cut up tomato, and chop dill, add to sour cream and mix well, add more tomato if you like lots of it. Add salt and pepper to taste. Delicious on fish
Old 09-27-2005, 11:59 AM   #14  

there is a lemon herb dressing by wishbone that is a great marinade for salmon. If you use quite a bit, it has a strong flavor that could mask some of the salmon's "fishiness". I think my ex once made salmon on the grill in foil with brown sugar and peppercorns...I know the brown sugar may be a little much, but if you use a little bit and cover in fresh pepper....I think I want to try that myself! good luck
Old 09-27-2005, 12:08 PM   #15  
it's always something

I've marinated salmon filets in Stubb's Chicken Marinade and it was delicous. It has all the right flavors for salmon - brown sugar, soy sauce, spices. Don't let the sugar scare you, though. One tablespoon of the marinade only has 10 calories and 1 gram of sugar
Closed Thread