The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-21-2005, 01:15 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Anyone else catch last night's episode?

Less than 15 minutes into the episode, I figured that if the women's team was going to 'lose' the weigh in, that Kathryn would be the one ousted. She's just didn't strike me as a 'team player' - and she even said after her elimination that she isn't. The interesting thing about the way the rules of the show are set - is that to succeed early on, one MUST be a team player and get along well with the rest of the team. Of course, as seen in Season 1, towards the end it's 'every man for himself' (although last year there seemed to be an effort made to keep Mo in the running as long as possible, since he was the one who needed the most help).

I think that after the women's weigh in - remember how disappointed they were with the small losses, thinking they were going to lose an average of 5 or 6 lbs each? - Bob or Jillian or SOMEONE should have pointed out to both the teams AND the viewers that this is TYPICAL. The first weigh in showed HUGE losses because of water and lean tissue loss, and now their bodies have adjusted and of course the losses are much smaller. (When I participated in the Stanford study back in 1990 the same thing happened to all of the study subjects - as an example the first week I lost something like 9 pounds, the second week I lost around 1.5 lbs - but we were ADVISED by the medical personnel that this was going to happen.)

Remember when Jillian got on Nick's case about making that huge steak? I totally agree with her - I would have been LIVID. I don't know if it's obvious to the rest of the men's team but to me it looks as though Nick's strategy at this point is to tempt the rest of his team with food...
Old 09-21-2005, 01:56 PM   #2  
prepare for the BEST time

hmm, this is a new tactic for eliminating the competition and thinning the herd.....feed them off the show.

I think a lot of the show has to have some extra *high drama* worked in to it to keep it interesting.......Last year I was actually yelling at my TV (I hated that Lisa woman, she whined about everything)
Old 09-21-2005, 02:03 PM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

One of the men said that Jillian had been telling them all week to only expect to lose a couple pounds - so it seems like the men were ready for the small losses - even tho they had big losses...maybe she gives them worst case scenario to encourage them?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:07 PM   #4  

I agree totally about Kathryn being booted - good riddins/bye-bye....lol
Nick is the lazy one, that is why Jillian doesn't like him, he's a loner, not a team player.
The thing I found to be very strange, is that Jillian had those huge men race full speed against herself. As if they don't have enuf strain on their poor joints and muscles already. Then Matt tore a tendon, I would think someone would have known better?
Overall I loved the show, especailly when the women, already winning the plank challenge, stopped and cheered Jeff to finish.....that was awesome!
Old 09-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Default The biggest loser week 2

Just seeing what y'all thought of it.
I'm ready for Mark to be gone. That was just plain rude of him to attack Shannon like that on the timed to eat/not eat challenge. I didn't see anywhere where it was a team challenge, just a personal one to overcome your willingness to pig out on foods and be rewarded for it. I wanted to smack him. I liked the challenge and the fact that the women did win it. It was awesome that the whole group cheered on Jeff while he crossed the beam.

As for the weigh-ins I wasn't really surprised at the outcome. It seems like last season on the second week, the men still had decent losses while the women barely lost, maintained and even gained. I expect to see the men experience the same thing next week. I think the team made the right decision by elmininating Kathryn. She wasn't going to be at her peak performance for at least 6 weeks and as of now you still have to depend on your team to get you through challenges and be able to exercise. She seemed so taken aback that they voted her off and had it been me I would've expected it with an injury and been thankful to have had the time I did with either one of the trainers.

that's just my 2 cents.
Oh and if you don't check out their website Gary from season one is giving commentary each week. They don't have his take on this week up yet though.
http://www.nbc.com/The_Biggest_Loser...ryscommentary/
Old 09-21-2005, 03:36 PM   #6  

thanks for posting this website. I went and viewed and it was neat. I taped the show and haven't watched yet so can't throw in my opinion.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:54 PM   #7  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I haven't even watched my tape of the first episode yet but I can hardly wait for the chance to sit down and catch up!
Old 09-21-2005, 04:19 PM   #8  

Wink

Hi group. I watched the second episode. Wow, what a bad attitude Kathryn had! Unfortunately for her, she was the right person to go. She was injured & probably wouldn't be much of a team player.

I wished that they would show more of the "diet" that both groups are following. I would like to see what they all are eating & how their coping w/ that.

I watched the first episode & was so inspired by it that I joined WW the very next day! I’ll be weighing in on Fridays so I'll let you all know how I did.

I committed to a 10 week program! I'm sure I'll be asking everyone for some help as time goes on.

Michele
Old 09-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #9  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

I wanted the women to win the weigh-in so badly!
Overall, though I think that they're showing that they can match the men's team.
I think Kathryn was a smart choice for elimination (i.e. smallest person, injured, smallest weight loss both weeks).
Old 09-21-2005, 06:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Mrs. Jim I think you pretty much summed up what I had said in the 100+ discussion. This was what I put
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbygirl43
Just seeing what y'all thought of it.
I'm ready for Mark to be gone. That was just plain rude of him to attack Shannon like that on the timed to eat/not eat challenge. I didn't see anywhere where it was a team challenge, just a personal one to overcome your willingness to pig out on foods and be rewarded for it. I wanted to smack him. I liked the challenge and the fact that the women did win it. It was awesome that the whole group cheered on Jeff while he crossed the beam.

As for the weigh-ins I wasn't really surprised at the outcome. It seems like last season on the second week, the men still had decent losses while the women barely lost, maintained and even gained. I expect to see the men experience the same thing next week. I think the team made the right decision by elmininating Kathryn. She wasn't going to be at her peak performance for at least 6 weeks and as of now you still have to depend on your team to get you through challenges and be able to exercise. She seemed so taken aback that they voted her off and had it been me I would've expected it with an injury and been thankful to have had the time I did with either one of the trainers.

that's just my 2 cents.
Oh and if you don't check out their website Gary from season one is giving commentary each week. They don't have his take on this week up yet though.
http://www.nbc.com/The_Biggest_Loser...ryscommentary/
Old 09-21-2005, 07:32 PM   #11  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Good for you, Michelle!

Howie and I didn't see the point in that letter-from-home challenge at all. And we agree, it was in terrible form for Mark to taunt her like that.

I thought Kathryn emanated bad vibes - just seemed like she bristled most of the time. I know a lot can be production and editing, but she definitely didn't seem to fit in with the other team members (as evidenced by their comments at the voting). No love lost there!
Old 09-21-2005, 07:45 PM   #12  
Tenacious

I didn't care for the letter from home challenge even though I don't know why since I liked the challenge last season where they could call home if they ate something which is along the same line.

I would have voted Kathryn off myself, but then again if I were Kathryn I would have told them to vote me off. (How the crap did she think she was going to be able to do that second - balance- challenge when she couldn't even walk????)
Old 09-21-2005, 08:01 PM   #13  

I missed most of the show...I only got to see about 15 minutes of the last part of it, but I must admit that I am disappointed. I thought they were going to base the weight loss on BMI's or percentage of fat instead of actual pounds. It could be my imagination, but I think it can (not always) be easier for men to lose weight. I think basing it on percentage of fat loss would be even the scales. When my brother and I did a challenge to lose weight (we both lost, but I lost more weight than he did...he likes to drink beer, lol) He automatically doubled the weight he would lose because girls lose slower. Am I wrong on that? If I am, someone please enlighten me.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:02 PM   #14  

I didn't watch the show last season, but I have been watching it this season. My only complaint (thus far) is that we're not seeing what kind of food the contestants are eating. At the end of the show is this disclaimer that they are each on their own doctor-prescribed eating program, but I still think it would be helpful to see what kind of eating program each person is following.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:09 PM   #15  
focused and aiming

there was an article in a weekly magazine this week about bl. in it they give sample menus of what the contestants are eating. they also give other tips. the article also said something about some of the women cutting their calories without bob's knowing and their bods went into starvation mode. i don't know if that was week 2 or if it's in a week ahead.