Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 09:51 PM   #1  
Sweat is my friend!

Default Fresh Soup

Anyone have any soup recipes? I LOVE soup and want to start making it on my own. I have some great recipes but I'm always up for some more ideas! I love to make it in the crockpot..letting it cook all day, getting nice and tender. YUM! Plus, it's a great low calorie, very low fat meal and it's filling believe it or not!

Thanks for your ideas!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Here is one I make all the time...

Cream Curry Broccoli Soup

2 cups low sodium, fat free swanson chicken broth
1 cup water
1 medium onion
1 tbsp butter
1 bag frozen broccoli
1 tsp curry
1/3 cup nonfat sour cream
2 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste.

In a pot melt butter and saute chopped onion for a few minutes. Add curry and mix (leave curry out if you dont like it) then toss in the bag of broccoli, and liquids. Simmer for 20 min with the lid slightly asquew.

Remove from heat, and blend in batches in blender or processor. Put back in pot and add sour cream, and whisk til blended. Add lemon and salt and papper.

Your done, enjoy
Old 09-20-2005, 12:09 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I love soup during the colder months, I don't have a recipe per say I just throw some veggies together with chicken stock, canned or fresh...

I would sauté onions, green, red, yellow peppers, celery till tender, add cabbage and carrots and cut up green beans, and turnip (one/some or all the veggies), add chicken stock and water to cover, let simmer till the veggies is almost tender, add a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato paste salt and pepper... I often add a can of chickpeas or kidney beans... I like this type of vegetable soup because I can have a bowl in the middle of the afternoon when I get hungry and I don't have to feel guilty plus I've had my vegetables...
Old 09-20-2005, 02:23 PM   #4  

One of my standby soups is to saute a little minced onion & garlic (and celery if I have it) in wee bit of olive oil, then add low-sodium chicken broth, carrots, and some sliced ginger and simmer until the carrots are very tender. Then, puree in a blender or food processor, adding a little water if needed to thin it out to soup consistency. Serve warm with a dollop of plain yogurt (or reduced-fat or non-fat sour cream) and a tiny sprinkling of nutmeg.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:44 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

I'm coming over for some soup funniegrrl
Old 09-20-2005, 03:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I originally came here to tell you about my brother's Farmer's Market find but you're making me hungry .....
I think in Birmingham, my bro found a fella who sells a basket of what he calls soup mix. They cut up everything in the basket ... sweetpotatoes, beans, peas, onions, lemon grass, I can't remember all the veggies ... water, white wine, a little left over roast beef ... He said it made a huge pot and was delicious.
Another vote for farmer's markets.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:38 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
I'm coming over for some soup funniegrrl

yum yum eat 'em up!
Old 09-20-2005, 05:51 PM   #8  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Smile Cream of Artichoke Soup

Hi,

I just made some cream of artichoke soup. It's VERY easy and satisfying. I love artichokes. They are very good for you and help clense the liver. You can also substitute the same amount of asparagus or celery instead of artichokes or any other veggie you like (or you can mix it up a bit with different veggies together).

12 bag of frozen artichoke hearts (I use Trader Joe's) 170 cals.
3 cups water
2 tsp. Better Than Bouillon 20 cals (concentrated chicken stock) or you can use canned chicken stock instead of water.
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
4 oz. half and half 157 cals (you can use some yogurt or fat free sour cream if you'd like to save cals but it won't taste as good imo!)
1/2 tsp garlic powder

I don't add any salt as the chicken bouillon is fairly salty.

Put the everything except the 1/2 and 1/2 in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer gently for 20 mins. Ladle into a blender - be careful it's hot! Make sure the lid is on tight and pulse until artichokes are totally pureed. Pour back into the saucepan, stir in the 1/2 and 1/2 and serve.

Makes 4 cups @ 87 calories per cup
Old 09-22-2005, 12:19 AM   #9  
wannaBaloser

arial3

Thank you for sharing this recipe for cream of artichoke soup. I am a soup-aholic and this is a new one for me. I love artichokes done in the Naples style, but never even thought of them in a soup. I am new here.
thanks again
wannaBaloser
Old 09-22-2005, 01:58 PM   #10  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Smile Artichoke Soup

Hi wannaBaloser,

I hope you like the artichoke soup. I had a bag of artichoke hearts in the freezer for quite a while so I figured I'd try making soup out of them. I like the taste of artichokes, but sometimes I don't like the really fibery stuff! By pureeing them in the blender I get the good taste without the stringy bits and they are so low in calories. Here are some interesting artichoke facts:

Artichokes, including leaves, were thought to be an aphrodisiac, a diuretic, a breath freshener and even a deodorant. Decoctions of artichoke leaves have been used as blood cleansers, cholerics, to improve bile production and secretion and to detox the liver and the skin.

Artichokes contain vitamin C and nutrients that support the structure of capillaries. A diet of fruits and vegetables yields lower homocysteine levels, which means less risk of developing Alzheimer's disease (AD), according to a 2002 report from scientists at Boston University. High amounts of dietary potassium in vegetables appear to lessen the risk of forming kidney stones.

Welcome to 3FC and good luck
Old 09-27-2005, 01:56 PM   #11  

I just made a killer recipe this weekend for homemade minestrone soup. I added so many vegetables that I had to put in 3 more cups of water just to cover it. I was in a vegetable chopping kind of mood all weekend, so here it is: (PS. This will give you a serious amount of soup! I ate it all weekend up until today, and I have 1/3 in the freezer.)
5 cups chicken broth and 3 extra cups of water
2 bay leaves
1 T italian seasoning
S & P to taste
1/2 t red pepper flakes
6 carrots
I took all the insides of the celery stalks, leaves and everything, chopped and put it in.
zucchini
fresh green beans
frozen peas
onion
1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes in puree- i mashed the tomatoes in my hand and added
4 different kinds of beans in a can-garbanzos, red kidney, limas, and another white bean.
Add everything to a huge pot, get it started on medium high heat and then down to low medium for 4 hours.
I sprinkle my bowl with fresh grated romano and it was Delicious! Enjoy.

Last edited by tampagirlcmb; 09-27-2005 at 01:57 PM. Reason: add something
Old 09-29-2005, 09:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

my mom made me some sort of spinach soup type stuff the other day. And normally I'm not a spinach eater, but this stuff was awesome.

3-4cups of water
2 boulion cubes ( cant spell LOL)
1/4 cup small pasta (she used the little stars)
1-2 cans of whole leaf spinach.

Boil the water. Add the boulion. Add the pasta. Cook til the pasta is aldente then add the spinach. Cook long enough to heat up spinach. ENJOY
Add a little parmasean and its delicious. Might have to make some of that again...
Closed Thread