Old 09-19-2005, 05:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Default Today

How many of us have said today is the day? and we start off on a new plan or restart our old one. Next thing we know we're back to promising ourselves today is the day.
I would be a rich woman if I got paid for every time I said that. Over the weekend I finally realized that I'm staring at my "big" picture and not taking time to live in today. I look back over my past and what I could've done better and I look to the future and what I plan on doing never really taking the time to live in today.

My eating has been so out of whack lately and I've gained 10 pounds in the last month or so I decided that I have to do something different. Yesterday I only had v-8, a creamed soup and lots and lots of water. Then I ate dinner. Today I am also only having liquids and I'm learning to pay attention to my hunger cues. I've been mindlessly eating, overeating and binging for so long I couldn't tell you the last time I felt hunger pains. I've been eating for the sake of eating.

Today it has been tough but not because I was physically hungry. When the coworkers went to get their food I almost heated up my can of soup so I could have food. Was I hungry? Nope. I drank me another cup of v-8 and crocheted more on my son's afghan. I found that if I keep my hands busy I'm not thinking about food as much.

This morning I made it through all 3 miles of the WATP for abs tape. I wasn't winded at all and could've carried on a conversation and went for another 3 miles. Last month I was struggling to get through just 1 mile of the tape. I guess i truly didn't give my body time to heal and it showed. Instead of thinking maybe it's time to heal I went on an all out binge of whatever food you could imagine and had seconds to boot. Back to my walk. I kept thinking of all these great things I could do tomorrow, next week, next month, by halloween, etc. and I made myself stop all of those thoughts and instead focus on what I'm doing today. That's it.

I guess Sandi and I had about the same type of thinking over the weekend that it's time to focus on the here and now and not worry about what we want in the future. So that is my new plan. I will only worry about today.

Of course I'll be planning for tomorrow tonight.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:47 PM   #2  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Sounds like a plan, Dawnyal.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:11 PM   #3  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Sounds really good Dawnyal

Looks like we're having a lot of revelations around here this week...it's wonderful!

xoxoxo
Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Good for you, Dawnyal!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:03 PM   #5  

Good for you Dawnyal. One day at a time (or minute if need be)....
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:50 PM   #6  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

You can do it Dawnyal. We have all started over a hunderd times like you said. The thing is maybe start 101 is the one that sticks. So keep trying and you will do it. Never give up.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Dawnyal, what a wonderful insight. Your doing great with WATPs! Thanks for sharing.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:58 AM   #8  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

That's sounds like a good plan! Work on today and tomorrow takes care of itself.
Good work on the WATP!
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:19 AM   #9  

Hi Dawnyal and everyone

Good for you for having such a good realization. I lost 67 pounds once and gained it all back because I let myself get back into my old habits and I think it is great that you realized now, and can now manage yourself. I wish I could be were you are in your weightloss! Hopefully I get there too I am so jealous of you!
Danica
tuckytex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:50 AM   #10  

Good for you!
jmacway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:50 AM   #11  
One pound at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbygirl43
I would be a rich woman if I got paid for every time I said that.
Amen to that! I have always said that I could retire if I was paid everytime I said I am starting over. So much so, that I do not bother telling anyone when I have decided to lose weight, because I do not want them to judge or think "here we go again". Not that everyone does, but sometimes you can't help feeling that way after all the previous times.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:11 AM   #12  

It is so painful when we comb over all the times we started and stopped and started again. I used to hate listening to the Dr. Phil's of the world tell us that there was some reason we were keeping the weight on -- it had some payoff for us. Then I realized, the Dr. Phils are right and we just have to come to a point where losing the weight is more important than the payoff for being overweight. For me, it came when I realized that, during my overweight adult life, I have always been active. It was never TRULY important to lose weight for health because I have always been fat and fit. But, after 3 children in 11 months (2 older through adoption) and hitting 35, my body betrayed me and it becamse tough being fat. SO, the day I realized it was harder to be fat than to lose weight was the day I said goodbye to the payoff.

I wonder if you might be at that point, where you are realizing that the payoff is no longer one that makes losing weight seem so awful? It sounds like that is what is happening. I encourage you, besides all the great things you are already ding, to journal this journey from here out (blog perhaps?). It helps a lot.
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #13  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Great insights Dawnyal and Irishgreengables.

And congratulations Dawnyal on the WATP. It took me about 4 months to work up to 3 miles and I do it sitting down!!!

One of the things your post reminded me about, is to continue to struggle against food as reward, punishment, denial, freedom, release etc. etc. and see it for what it truly is...nourishment.

Thanks, DCM

Last edited by activeadventurer; 09-20-2005 at 10:16 AM.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:59 AM   #14  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Wow, another great post!! Thanks for opening my eyes!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:28 PM   #15  
Downsizing Dee!

Excellent post Dawnyal! Of course, you're absolutely right.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote