Old 09-17-2005, 01:05 PM   #1  
bouncin' along

Default Afraid to jump right in :-P

You guys all seem so close and tight knit, and I haven't really found a thread where I have anything important to say, so I thought I would start a thread and say hi :-)

I'm currently a single mom of three boys, but working on reconciling with thier father...we'll see, we have our ups and downs. I'm a full time student, studying web design but pondering switching to paralegal. I work grave shift a couple nights a week to pay for gas and diapers, and not much else!!

I recently discovered that I can not eat more than 1400 cals a day and even maintain my weight, I just gain and gain. So I am working on counting calories and learning to eat less consistantly. I am also working out on the elliptical trainer and trying to increase how long I work out.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all :-)
beachball_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 01:17 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi and welcome !!

Don't be afraid to jump in on any of these threads, the girls here are WONDERFUL !!! and love to meet new people.

1400 calories and gaining? wowee girl. Have you spoken to your doctor about this. That seems awfully low to be gaining unless your not moving your body what so ever but I see that this can't be possible with your kids, working and school. I have to give you credit, your a strong lady for juggling so much.

We're glad your here
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 01:32 PM   #3  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Welcome Beachball,

This is a great group ~ wonderful people ~ inspiring, understanding, encouraging. Always glad to have one more here. You're doing great so far!! (Another night shift worker here ~ I should be in bed right now, but woke up and had to go to bathroom and couldn't resist a check on the computer. And another Aug. 3rd birthday!!)

Again welcome....
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 01:41 PM   #4  

I am in the same boat you are! I have been here for only a few days.

I am glad you posted!

I am a married (although the 'D' word has been brought up alot latley) mom of 2 little ones, my daughter is 3 and my son is 6.5 months.

I am a SAHM now, but on the job search because of our rocky marrage.
Mom2Gillian-n-Alexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:13 PM   #5  

Howdy!! Gosh, I hope you newbies never fret too much about jumping right in, the more the merrier! We get close really quickly because this is a group of ultra supportive, phenomenal people who genuinely care about the well being of its members (old and new). So, please jump right in on any of the existing threads or bring up anything you like in a brand new one. I think this group thrives on having something new to talk about, whether it's on or off topic, so just throw it out there and we'll run with it. Anyway, welcome Diva and Mom, please make yourselves right at home!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:30 PM   #6  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Welcome, beachball_diva and Mom2Gillian-n-Alexan! Everyone's smashing here, so go ahead and post away!

Congratulations on your successes to date.

I agree that 1400 kcals seems jolly low not to be losing, beachball. Do you measure accurately and keep a food diary? What are you eating? I was reading an article the other day about a study that showed up to 50% of pre-packaged food weighed (up to 70%!) more than was stated on the label. Is it possible you're eating more kcals than you realise? Just a thought.

There's always the Journal/Buddy thread where you can post your eats. Great for accountability and for looking over to see where things can perhaps be tweaked.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:49 PM   #7  

Hi Baseball Diva and Mom2Gillian-n-Alexan. I'm pretty new here too. All the people here do seem very kind, supportive and motivated. This is one of the best weight loss forums I have come across. I am so glad to find a group with a lot of weight to lose and where the bulletin board is not overtaken by spamers trying to sell weight loss products. That is so irritating!
f(x) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 04:04 PM   #8  

Hello you two! We're all really friendly, and there are all sorts of people posting here, some regularly, some not so. I used to be a regular, but now seem to be MIA a lot, it's the exercise, it's kidnapped my internet time!!!!!

Welcome, and best of luck in this journey, not that you'll need luck!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 04:14 PM   #9  
Determined

Hi, I'm new here too. Good for you for jumping in! I work night shifts too and also have a young child. You should come check out the Young Mom's thread in buddy up. Good luck, both with weight loss and your husband.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 05:04 PM   #10  
bouncin' along

Thank you all for the wam welcome!!

I agree 1400 seems really low, but I talked to my mom and she said she was always the same way. She eats like a bird and manages to keep her weight at about 190. (She said to thank her for my slooooooow metabolism!) I do end up eating a bit more prepackaged food than I should, it is really convenient to grab a Lean Cusine or Lean Pocket instead of cooking every night. But I just bought a low cal/low fat cook book and am hoping to cook for myself a little more often. I do keep a food and exercize diary and have a cal counter book (the one that calorieking.com publishes). Other than that I usually eat alot of tuna salad, chicken soup, and stir-fried veggies.

Looking forward to getting to know you all :-)
beachball_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:28 PM   #11  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm pretty new as well and I can add that everybody has been extremely welcoming. I tend to be on the shy side myself and often have to work myself up to posting. Someone I work with told me the other day that she thought I was really snobby when I started, but that's my initial shyness with people. Once I get to know people you can't shut me up.

Welcome!
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 07:00 PM   #12  

I have the opposite problem. I dont eat enough.. Yes girls.. I am pretty obese, and I dont eat enough! And when I do, well.. Its convience, and money, not whats healthy.

I did Healthwears verson of the Apex weight manager arm band for a while and got down to 310!!! That was only a few months ago!

I find that when I INCREASE my coloric intake I lose weight, now I normally sit at 900-1300 cals a day, when I increase it to 2000+ I lose weight like water. Odd huh?
Mom2Gillian-n-Alexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 07:56 PM   #13  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Gillian-n-Alexan
I find that when I INCREASE my coloric intake I lose weight, now I normally sit at 900-1300 cals a day, when I increase it to 2000+ I lose weight like water. Odd huh?
Not really. Any time you eat too little your body thinks you're starving and adjusts your metabolism accordingly. Without adding exercise Fitday tells me that to achieve roughly a 2lb a week weight loss I should eat 2000 calories. I can't bring myself to eat quite that much - for now I aim between 1400 and 1600. Since I've been eating more than 2000 cals a day off and on since I got out of the hospital at the moment I'm losing weight. Likely in a couple of weeks it will slow down and oddly I may have to eat slightly more to continue losing.

Sigh... sometimes you wish it was easier, don't you?

Anne
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Welcome!! You'll learn a lot from the wonderful, inspirational people here. Please jump right in and post often.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 11:37 PM   #15  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Welcome, welcome...and WELCOME

This is a wondeful place to call home, and I would not have had the success without the TRUE friends I've made here.

Please make yourselves at home and just KEEP POSTING.....
You'll love it here

xoxoxo
Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote