Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 09-16-2005, 12:19 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Governor Arnold signs bills to trim obesity in CA schools

Gotta love this...our "Governator" has always been concerned with the health and fitness of kids, and I'm glad to see him get tough on this issue!

Governor signs bills to trim obesity in schools - Toughest diet rules in nation for students

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, center, flanked by first lady Maria Shriver and Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong and a host of schoolchildren, kicks off the Governor's Summit on Health, Nutrition and Obesity at Cal Expo.

Here's what was signed, in a nutshell:

SB12 - food standards for school grades K-12 - By July 1, 2007, an individually sold snack may have no more than:

35 percent of its calories from fat (excluding legumes, nuts, nut butters, seeds, eggs, non-fried vegetables and cheese packaged for individual sale).

10 percent of its calories from saturated fat (excluding eggs and cheese packaged for individual sale).

35 percent sugar by weight (excluding fruits and vegetables).

175 calories (in elementary schools).

250 calories (in middle and high schools).

An individually sold entree may have no more than 4 grams of fat per 100 calories and not exceed 400 calories. Foods that do not meet the standards may be sold at least one-half hour after the end of the school day for fund-raising purposes.

SB965 - Extends restrictions on the types of beverages that can be sold in elementary and middle schools to include high schools. By July 1, 2009, only the following beverages can be sold in high schools during school hours:

Fruit- and vegetable-based drinks that are at least 50 percent fruit juice without added sweeteners.

Drinking water without added sweeteners.

Milk products including 2-percent, 1-percent, nonfat, soy, rice and other similar non-dairy milk.

An electrolyte replacement beverage that contains no more than 42 grams of added sweetener per 20-ounce serving.

SB281 - Spends $18.2 million to provide fruits and vegetables for school breakfast programs.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:51 AM   #2  
Empress/Queen

The Oak rocks, as always, IMO.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 04:31 PM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

nice to see he's good for something....
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:16 PM   #4  
Empress/Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat
nice to see he's good for something....
Yup!
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:09 PM   #5  
hara hachi bu

Default Arnold

I'm not from CA, but I have to admit that I'm sceptical of actors becoming politicians (we had Jesse Ventura as our governor). I've heard criticism of him from the left, but I've also heard that he's rather moderate. At this point, moderate anything would be nice ... republican or democrat.

The cool thing, though, is that he is using his strengths and beliefs to make the world better for kids. Childhood obesity is a sad, sad thing.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote