General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 02:45 AM   #1  

Default Body for Life #15

Wow!!! Number FIFTEEN!!!

You go girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm doing okay. Visited the dr today and I have a list of blood tests a mile long to have taken the next couple of days. I'm still feeling horribly lethargic but plugging away. Not up to 10s on my gym routines but I'm doing what I can without falling asleep under the leg press.

Food is good and I'm preparing for school next week (YUCK!) I don't WANT my summer to be over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope everyone is well!
Susan
Old 08-15-2001, 05:44 AM   #2  

SJ-Nice to hear from you! Hope everything turns out well.

Sil-Thanks for the article! I'm going to read it this afternnoon when I get home from work.

I'm exploring this NHE thing. I've asked the NHE board what it's about. Do any of you know? Looks like lower carbs than normal.

Compared my pictures side by side. The main difference I see is my butt might be a little higher. Front pics look the same, side a bit different.

This working out at 3:30AM is getting to me. Yesterday I did my cardio after work at 5:30, then this morning hit the weights. I don't know how long I will be able to keep up the morning workouts. After my 1st challenge is over, I might have to do all my workouts in the afternoons.

Have a great day!
Old 08-15-2001, 08:58 AM   #3  
GARDENING ADDICT

Good Morning Gals!

Susanje~~I'm so glad that you are back but I'm sorry that you are feeling under the weather.

Shelley~~~I'm glad you got the article. I still can't decide if I want to do PT or BFL this next 12 weeks. I have some physical limitations right now, so I might have to make some minor adjustments to either program in order to get the end results that I want. I also posted on L&S about the NHE~I don't know anything about it, except it looks like low carb/high-mod fat.
My DH is going to take my C1 after/C2 before pics tomorrow, so I'll be able to compare them on Friday

I might post them on L&S when my scanner works and once I figure out how to size them correctly in order to post.

To everybody else~You're all doing a great job!!! Keep it up
~~~Sil
Old 08-15-2001, 11:46 AM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Numero 15 ALREADY??

Can't keep up with you gals...

Today I'm feeling a bit under the weather. Just woke up today feeling blahhh, dizzy, nauseous...of course sister Jen (when I called her this morning) is automatically assuming I'm pregnant! Yeah riiiight... Personally I think it's because I stayed up pretty late (11 p.m. - I usually hit the hay before 10) watching a Jaclyn Smith movie on Lifetime.

I did do my UBWO anyway, hitting 10's faster than usual - mostly because I was feeling so icky

Oh, yesterday during my 20 MAS I did what Steve L and QZ on L&S said - keep the resistance on the elliptical LOW and hit your 10's that way...their thoughts were that if you up the resistance on the elliptical you are actually giving yourself a LBWO rather than a cardio workout. So I did that on Tuesday and it really wore me out! Trying to keep the intensity up on low resistance is incredibly hard. Guess it's back to wearing my heart rate monitor now - I was just using perception.

Sil - good luck with the scanner - if it's an HP, shouldn't be too hard to figure out - I'm still trying to figure out how to reduce photo sizes on digital pix!!

I don't know anything about the NHE - I'll have to look into that. Right now, BFL is working for me and it's actually getting easier each week staying clean as far as eating goes! Unlike many others who post on L&S that they have a ton of menus they like to make, I'm more of a KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!) person. I like my staples - cottage cheese, fruit, chicken breasts, brown rice mixes, spinach, mushrooms, carrots, and Myo Lite for the most part. As Michael Fumento says "Variety is the Spice of Overeating!" I save the yum-yums for Free Day!

Shelley -- you're working out at 3:30 a.m.?!? You go girl! I thought I was a wild woman, getting up at 4:15 a.m. I know that working out in the morning is best, but as long as you're doing it at a time that works for you, that's what really matters, right??

SJ - Don't be a stranger!! We all miss you when you're gone - we're all here to support each other, right??

Tonight Jim and I are going to the Fair to see Brian Setzer (of the Stray Cats). Can't believe he's doing fair shows when he could be packing 'em into the big places....Jim says though that the fair circuit is pretty lucrative - gigs are short and begin and end earlier than regular ones - and acts tend to get a lot more exposure as well. His band may be doing some Bay Area fair gigs next year...that would be fun to see...
Old 08-15-2001, 11:05 PM   #5  

Hi everyone,

MrsJ: I am trying to not be a stranger. Sorry.

I do pop in here and read and am so inspired by how everyone is doing. I have just been dragging so much...........but I'm starting to feel a bit better. I am hoping it is hormonal and there is a cure. My dr said chronic fatigue syndrome and I almost bit her head off. CFS is not something one in law school wants to be hearing. She mentioned some kind of blood disease and I found myself rooting for THAT. Anything but CFS. As a former psych clinician, I've had my doubts that it's a real thing but my dr. tells me it is. I'll take anything over that.

My food is better and my workouts are Sloooooooooooooooowly getting better. I am fasting for 14 hours for these blood tests so that's horrid but they will be done by saturday.

I did buy the crock pot I talked about on L&S and tonight's dinner was so yummy........I put in too much liquid I think but I can have a really good dinner waiting for me when I get home...that is GREAT. I hate preparing all these different things........I also got a rice cooker and I like them for the nights when I'm using the Foreman for meat. My kitchen counter looks like gadget central but I believe that easy prep is KEY to success.

I'll be checking in more.......I promise!!!!!!!!
Susan
Old 08-16-2001, 10:16 AM   #6  

Shelley,

NHE is lower carb but it is supposed to be scientific and well-timed. Like BFL it is six small meals and emphasizes weight training and cardio. The eating plan is different in that, like Atkins, it has an "induction" period where you restict carbs for a week and go to high protein and fat. Unlike Atkins NHE emphasizes the good fats (Udos etc) but you can still use cream and that sort of thing. Also unlike Atkins there is no "all you can eat" mentality.

On the regular plan I believe you eat low carb for 3 days then the next 2 days you "carbo load" for your last 2 meals of the day and then return to the 3 day high protein/low carb. I think that your carbs are less than 20 or 30 a day when you are low carbing.

I know that weight trainers try to have most of their carbs in the morning so this is the opposite. I've heard it works well but you must be absolutely strict about your carbs except at your carbo loading meals. It's supposed to be an exact thing. When you are on high protein you can have regular cheeses but when you're on carbs you have to go low fat. It's been difficult for me to completely understand it but I have heard it works.

I am unclear that I could do it but I've looked into it several times. I burnt out on low carb diets and tend to dislike them.
I used to love omelets and can't look at them after Atkins. Your mileage may vary.

Susan
Old 08-16-2001, 11:36 PM   #7  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default So, Mrs Jim...

What settings did you end up using for your MAS/HIIT ? I read the same posts. Actually, I was the one to ask the question because I didn't feel that I could get a good HIIT by using a high resistance (can't go fast enough). I was thinking of using Incline12 with a resistance of 6-7. So, what did you use and did it help?
BTW~tomorrow starts C2 for me. I can't wait. I wasn't very happy with the results I got this last challenge. You can read my "whine" post on L&S (under Periodization message board) and I made a promise to myself not to whine any more.
But I am back with a vengence!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2001, 05:43 AM   #8  

Susanje-I got burnt out on Atkins and Stillman's also. I want to research this some more before I think about doing it. I can't invest the $30.00 in the book, so I can only get my information from the L&S board and the links. However, the links don't seem to say a whole lot. It sounds like you really need the book to study the diet. To me, it doesn't sound healthy, but since so many at L&S are on it, there must be something to it. I have not been happy with my progress on Bill's diet.

Mrs. J- Arnold's book finally came in the library. You need to be a weight lifter just to carry it!

Sil-Good luck on starting C2!
Old 08-17-2001, 08:30 AM   #9  
GARDENING ADDICT

HAPPY FRIDAY ! ! !

C2W1D1~~~YEAH ! ! !

Shelley~~~I need to shake things up a bit this time around and I am taking Nath's advice (from L&S on the PT board). She has added more cardio to her exercise program and she has modified her diet also. On her cardio days she has a low cal/low carb day and on her WO days she eats a higher cal/higher carb diet. She said this has really made the difference. Check out her profile on the Periodization Training board. Now that I think of it, she might be on the Quad Squad team board. I'll check and let you know.

BTW~why don't you and Mrs Jim join the Quad Squad! All you have to do is go to the team board and click on the email address at the bottom of the Quad Squad section and ask to join. They will email you the secret link address to access the QS message board. Hope to see ya there!
~~~Sil
Old 08-17-2001, 08:37 AM   #10  
GARDENING ADDICT

I just checked and Nath is on the Quad Squad boards and you can only access her posts if you join the team (free).
But here is her Fitday public journal link. Check it out!
http://www.fitday.com/webfit/publicj...28QuadSquad%29
Old 08-17-2001, 09:43 AM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Gooooood Morning All!

Busy day yesterday - editing papers for my meeting which starts in three weeks - Jim and I leave 1 Sept for Ontario!

And today our division goes on our Summer Outing to Angel Island (located in San Francisco Bay between SF and Marin). Haven't been there in years. I was tempted to bring my bike but don't want to risk damaging it on the bus - besides we've rented the whole fleet of bikes on the island.

I checked with the admin who is organizing the whole thing and THANK GOODNESS there will be CLEAN food available (chicken, veggies, etc) amongst the junk. I'm toting an MRB with me anyway just in case. Since it's a Myo Lite bar (YUK!) I will only be consuming it if it's a DIRE emergency...

Had a terrific UBWO and a gal who I haven't seen in a month or so came up to me and said that I looked GREAT! Since it's hard for me to see any progress myself, hearing that from others is a big boost.

Tomorrow is the last day of C2W4 and I'm going to measure and take photos this weekend. I don't know if I want to weigh myself though. Honestly I don't think I've lost that many pounds but I definitely feel less jiggly and STRONGER.

Sil - On my 20 MAS I started like QZ said, on resistance level 1 but had to pop it up to 5. I do need SOME resistance to get my heart rate going (same when I'm riding a bike). The incline was at 11-12 the entire time. On my 10's I was going at around 260 steps per minute. During my 6's I was at around 180--190.

I might join the Quad Squad - I was in Lean4Life but I really enjoy just hanging on the main L&S board mostly.

Shelley - As far as the "Eating-for-Life" program, speaking for myself I probably could be losing weight much faster on another WOE...but I am having no trouble eating clean doing it Bill's way. MY problem is overindulging during Free Day. On Monday I usually feel so icky from overeating the day before...lately it's because Jim has been at band practice during Sunday afternoon, so I clean house and eat by myself. HOWEVER I have stopped the pint of Ben & Jerrys...and the next two weeks Jim has no practice so we can actually go out and about!

Gotta go! See ya gals!
Old 08-17-2001, 11:19 AM   #12  

Hi everyone! I just had to let you all know that I am starting to get comments from people that they can see a change in me. I am so excited. Tomorrow is the end of my first 4 weeks and I am going to weigh and measure. I am excited to see the results of the measurements, especially after hearing people's compliments for the past couple of days!!!!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Debbie
Old 08-17-2001, 01:18 PM   #13  
GARDENING ADDICT

Way to go, Debbie!!!! I'm so happy for you. Keep up the great work.

I have decided that on Free day I will only have one free meal plus only 1 free food item (snack) on that day.
~~~Sil
Old 08-17-2001, 02:36 PM   #14  

Shelley,

There is a guy who posts to the yahoo clubs bfl who follows NHE. His name is Andy and if you email him at [email protected] he will gladly send you 2 docs - one is NHE explained and one is an authorized food list (he just updated this). I pointed him to the L&S NHE board but I don't know if he will pop in there. He's pretty good about talking about it in private email.

Susan
Old 08-18-2001, 08:50 AM   #15  

SJ-Thanks for the email address. I have alread sent him a note.

Debbie-Good for you! Only 4 weeks into the program and already people are noticing! That's great!

Sil-I am on the LMKKDT already. I don't know if you can be on 2 teams or not. I went to the link you gave me on Nath. I'm gonna check out her profile at L&S. I'm having a bit of a problem with cardio right now because of my hours (maybe this is just an excuse.) I don't think I would be able to increase the cardio just yet! I don't have the energy, especially getting up at 3:30AM to do it!

Mrs.J-Arnold's book is great! The only thing I didn't like was that he said you really can't get the most out of a workout at home. I disagree. At least I'm hoping I can do as good at home as everyone does at the gym. Yesterday I lifted 7700 lbs. That's over 3 tons at 3:30AM!!!!

Talk to ya later!
Closed Thread