Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-14-2005, 01:51 PM   #1  

Default So sick of this!

Hi all. I'm sort of a new member. Didn't post much the last time I was here and couldn't remember my user name and password.

I guess I'm looking for some support, advice, or whatever anyone has to offer. I'm just so tired. On top of being way overweight to begin with, in the last two months I've gained 20 pounds due to a medication that wasn't supposed to cause weight gain.

I started to gain weight after high school and with my two children. I went from around 170-175, which surprising looks right on my big boned 5'4" frame, to 258 in around 4 years. For the next 4 years, I stayed that weight. Then around two years ago, I tried atkins and lost but felt sick all the time and went off it. Within a month I was up to 271 and stayed there for the past two years.

I was overweight yes, but I didn't "feel" it. I could physically do everything I wanted to. I've tried at different times over the past two years to do something about it. Each time failing. I can't stand to eat when I'm not hungry. The problem is, I'm only hungry once or twice a day and because I don't really like food, I don't eat much when I do eat. I can't tell you how many times my doctor has said "eat". I just feel so sick when I eat. I have blood sugar issues from not eating, but when I do eat I feel worse than if I didn't. I just feel so hopeless either way.

For the last year or so, even though I was failing the diets, I still felt good physically. I thought well even if I'm not losing, I'm not gaining either. And then bam! 20 pounds in two months and I'm losing my breath when I walk, out of control heartburn, clothes don't fit well and I refuse to buy new ones, face swollen, eyes all dark, body aches, etc, etc, etc.
I just feel like "what the **** am I gonna do?" I saw my general practitioner on Monday and she ruled out any other causes and said it had to be the med. I see the doc who prescribed it tomorrow, and a nutritionist on Friday. But still I feel like it's hopeless. Like I'm just going to get bigger.

And what do you do when you just don't like food? When the thought of eating turns your stomach? I want to run with my husband, play with my kids, buy clothes out of the regular departments, be HEALTHY and I just feel like I'm trapped in this body. My positive outlook is gone.
scrunchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi Scrunchkin. I read your post a little while ago and was surfing around 3fc trying to decide how to say what I wanted to say to you and I found this post ..... in particular, Mel's response ....

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65182

I'd also like to add that I take paxil which makes me nauseous, so I take it at night and go to bed.

See what the Doc says tomorrow. Come back and post some more. Between you, the doc's and the wonderful folks here at 3fc .... we'll come up with a liveable lifelong plan to get you slimmer and fit!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:47 PM   #3  

Thanks for your reply Susan. I appreciate it and followed the link.
I think I sounded a little whiney but honestly it was the frustration talking. I take Lamictal, it's a mood stabilizer. I don't do well on antidepressents. They send me further down.
It's funny how when writing that I felt so hopeless and now, feel a bit more sure.
Guess the mood isn't so stable huh
Old 09-14-2005, 05:08 PM   #4  

Some times just getting it out makes you feel better. You didn't sound whiney, just frustrated.
Do you have some idea what you're going to do or were you going to wait for the nutritionist?
Old 09-14-2005, 06:56 PM   #5  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

You post talked a lot about food (whiney is ok...it was honest) - have you already been exercising? I know I started feeling better with getting out and walking almost immediately. I do more than just walk now - but that is where I started. It's a pretty easy thing to start - no special equipment required except a decent pair of shoes. Pretty easy to rope buddies into a short walk during a break at work, too.
hope everything starts looking up for you!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:35 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
Some times just getting it out makes you feel better. You didn't sound whiney, just frustrated.
Do you have some idea what you're going to do or were you going to wait for the nutritionist?
I guess the first thing I'm going to do is ask the doc to change my medication when I see him tomorrow. I have an idea on the food, it's just going to be tough to bring the calories up high enough to promote weight loss and not weight gain. I'm also very interested in talking with the nutritionist. Eating is not possible in the morning for me, no matter how hard I try so I'm hoping she will have some ideas for maybe some sort of drink. I've tried Carnation Instant Breakfast and Slim Fast in the morning but I would prefer more options. Maybe a fruit drink to get things going. My husband is a body builder and some of his shakes look really good, but I don't know if they are appropriate for weight loss.
Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_in_the_hat
You post talked a lot about food (whiney is ok...it was honest) - have you already been exercising? I know I started feeling better with getting out and walking almost immediately. I do more than just walk now - but that is where I started. It's a pretty easy thing to start - no special equipment required except a decent pair of shoes. Pretty easy to rope buddies into a short walk during a break at work, too.
hope everything starts looking up for you!
I was exercising pretty regularly until this weight increase. 20 pounds doesn't seem like much until it's on you. If I could just catch my breath I'd be fine. I'm going to give the eating part a good week or two first and then get kicking on the exercise.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:42 PM   #7  

I'm not one to ask about breakfast. Unless I have to go to work, I'm usually up for a couple of hours before I have something to eat. I'm much better than I used to be ...
Shakes? breakfast? Let's have a look in the Nutrition forum or even Ladies Who Lift ... I've seen those threads before.