Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 08:48 AM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default Pregnant and Staying Fit ~ August 2001

Hi all. I thought I would start a new thread for this month as we seem to be posting on 2 different threads, one from July and another one that wasn't dated so hopefully this will make things easier.

Congrats to Geneve and Leo! Wow, just under 10 lbs. Yikes! If my baby is that big none of the clothes I have got for him will fit. That's okay I haven't really bought that many, just a few sleepers and diaper shirts. Well I'm really glad to hear things went well and that you and baby are both fine. I hope your nipples are better now. The best thing to do that I have heard is to use that cream and otherwise wash with water and let them air dry after nursing. Is the baby latching on properly?

Scully, I know what you mean about wanting to have everything just right for the nursery. I am just getting around now to painting and so on because my DH procrastinated so long about cleaning his junk out of there. I am still fretting over the colour for the walls and I only have 2 of them to paint as the other 2 are wood panelled and we are leaving them as is. I was going to paint with this creamy/yellow paint as I had half a gallon left over from some other project but now I am thinking with all the wood furniture that it needs more of a contrast. I had orginally wanted to go with a mint green but now I don't really want to buy another can of paint when I still have paint. I don't know. I think I have some green paint leftover from something else, if that is still good and not too dark I think I'll use that. Luckily we are not doing any particular theme so I don't have to worry about buying expensive stuff. My mom is making the crib quilt and I am making the curtains so we just have to find some bumper pads that somewhat coordinate. I know what you mean about it somehow sounding all a bit silly in the long run. I mean the baby doesn't give a gosh darn about any of this, it is really for the parents. Also you want it to look nice for anyone that is visiting.

Sara, already 1cm dilated, I am so jealous!!!! I feel so huge, I wish I could deliver today. It is only 3 weeks, 5 days to go, that isn't too early. Anyway by the feel of it this baby is big enough to be fine. Still haven't had that ultrasound, it has been scheduled for Thursday and I have a dr's appt on Friday.

Well take care all, be well.
Old 08-11-2001, 02:30 PM   #2  

Hello, all!

Jen -- thanks for starting the new thread.

Geneve -- Congratulations!!!! We are all SO happy for you and sending many well-wishes and prayers your way. Hope you are getting some sleep, too! Have to admit I'm jealous, too! Wish I were posting our story now. I am so ready. You are right, though, Jen, it isn't long at all!

Jen and Scully -- I can relate to all your thoughts about the nursery. This is the first one we've ever done. I'm happy with how it turned out. We didn't spend hardly any $$ on it though. Just some paint for the walls (which is cheap) and I just went with some plain colored sheets. You really don't need any comforter or anything like that since you can't use it with the baby in there anyway. Our baby will be sleeping in our room in the beginning anyway I am sure, so we probably will hardly even use it!

I was really excited at first about being dilated already, but the more I talk to people the more I realize it doesn't mean anything. I keep hearing stories like, "Oh, I was 4 cm dilated for over a month!" etc. Not exactly what I want to hear, but I guess it gives me a reality check! haha

Geneve -- when you have time write and tell us how things are going! Wish I could give you advice about the sore nipples. There isn't too much except to bear with it. If it's any comfort I can relate. The first time mine looked like raw meat by the end of the first week. I had to have the dr. give me a prescription pain medication -- not for the stitches, but for the sore nipples!!

Sara
EDD 9/08
Old 08-14-2001, 07:51 AM   #3  
Jen

Hi all. Not much new to report. Finally got the nursery walls painted, ended up buying some paint which is sort of a bluey/green, now just have to finish the trim. Should be done today and this afternoon I have to go carpet shopping. I have my ultrasound on Thursday and see the dr on Friday. this will be week 37 on Thurs and I wish it were all over. I am so big that I am uncomfortable a lot, everything seems to be such an effort. Oh well what can you do? The baby will come when he/she is ready not just because I am uncomfortable.

Take care all.
Old 08-14-2001, 09:26 AM   #4  

Hi, Ladies,

I just wanted to check in. I am trying to keep up to date with all of your postings.

Rebecca went to the dr yesterday for a well visit. In one month she has grown an inch and gained 3 pounds. I could not believe that she weighs 10 pounds (isn't mother's milk wonderful?). She is doing great.

Hope everyone is doing well. I hope you have the cooler temps that we are enjoying here now.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:14 PM   #5  

Cassandra -- Benjamin and Rebecca, your children have such pretty names. I'm glad little Rebecca is doing so well! Will she go by Becca or Becky at all? Our Rebekah goes by Bekah often.

Jen -- I can sure relate to all your feelings! I am so ready for this baby to come already! I am really getting uncomfortable. Many aches and pains. Turning over at night has become a major production! I keep telling myself 3 more weeks is nothing -- so little time -- and yet it seems like forever. Then last night I was lying in bed (of course I couldn't sleep) feeling the baby kick, and I got to thinking, "Never again in my whole life will I be pregnant and feel a baby move inside me." It made me so sad I almost couldn't stand it! Don't get me wrong, I still want this baby to come soon, though! I can't seem to make my mind work the way I want it to!

I want to tell all of you, as I've told my husband and many friends (want to keep myself accountable here) that I WILL be going back to Weight Watchers when the baby is 6 weeks old. I figure the more people I tell, the more likely I will be to follow through! I want to get back on the right track just as soon as possible.

Blessings to everyone,
Sara
EDD 9/08
Old 08-15-2001, 02:00 PM   #6  
Jen

Sara, you really got me with what you said about never feeling a baby kick inside of you ever again. I figure that we are only going to have the one child so this is it for me. I never thought I would have one anyway and honestly I have felt so miserable most of the time that I keep saying I wouldn't do this again for a million dollars. I guess I haven't been looking at being pregnant in a very positive way. I want a baby, don't get me wrong about that and I can hardly wait for that but so much of being pregnant is difficult. I can take away a lot of good experiences though so I need to remember those and not things like feeling like a beached whale in the middle of the night trying to do something simple like roll over. Have you any idea how big your baby is? I have my ultrasound tomorrow so I will find out then. Not too big I hope!

bensmom, I can't believe your baby has gained 3 lbs in one month. That is so fantastic! I guess you aren't having any problems with nursing. I wonder how Geneve is doing.

Take care all, I'll let you know how my u/s goes.
Old 08-15-2001, 04:01 PM   #7  

Jen -- These pregnancies, I tell you, they sure give us all the range of emotions, don't they?! Let us know how your ultrasound goes. I'm jealous you get to have another one. My doctor just goes by the measurements she does each visit, and says the baby is on track and growing normally, whatever that means. So I have no idea how big he is.

Last night we went to a childbirth refresher course. It was good, and helpful to go over the relaxation techniques again. Good too, for my DH to start thinking about his part in this whole thing! I think it doesn't really hit the men until the moment the baby comes. But I need him to be thinking about how he can help me through this! I have been feeling pretty positive about labor (since my second labor went smoothly, I am hoping this one will too), but watching those videos of women giving birth really freaked me out. I realized -- oh yeah, this really HURTS! Why am I going through it all over again?!?!?! Of course I cried my eyes out at the end of each segment when the baby was actually born, so I do know it's all worth it in the end. That moment of holding my darling baby for the first time...I get teary now just thinking about it...I can't wait! It's all so worth it.

Scully, where are you girlfriend? Hope you're feeling okay.

Love,
Sara
EDD 9/08
Old 08-17-2001, 11:51 AM   #8  
Ada
Princess

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if I could join your group? Let me introduce myself, My name is Allison, and I just found out I am 6 weeks pregnant with our first baby . I am also a WW leader. I look forward to getting to know all of you!
Allison
Old 08-18-2001, 11:29 PM   #9  

Allison -- Hooray and congratulations!!! We are so happy to have you join us! How does it work for leaders? Will you have to lose the baby weight before you can lead meetings again?

I am hanging in there...I am so anxious to be to D-day! I haven't slept well at all the last couple nights. Today I'm so tired I'm hoping to get some rest tonight.

I taught my last class this afternoon so I am on maternity leave now -- yeah! (As much as that's possible when you own your own business.)

Must get to bed but wanted to say hello. How are you doing Jen? Hanging in there?

Love,
Sara
Old 08-19-2001, 12:42 AM   #10  
Ada
Princess

I am given 6 months to get back to my goal weight. I can accually lead meetings right up untill the due date, and return whenever I want. I can hardily wait to tell my members. I am keeping it a secret from work for at least the first trimester. My members are going to flip when I tell them. They know that my DH and I have been trying for about a year.
Allison
Old 08-20-2001, 07:58 AM   #11  
Jen

Welcome Ada! Congrats! I guess this a first baby for you? I am going to be a new mom in just a couple of weeks.

Sara - yea, I am hanging in there, how are you doing? I am so big and clumsy I just want to lay on the couch for the next 2 weeks and not have to move at all. Can we say beached whale? That is what I feel like. The ultrasound was okay, the tech was one of those ones that doesn't say much and doesn't like answering questions. I did manage to get out of her that the baby is in the right position for delivery and that it weighs between 6.2 and 8.4 lbs which seems like a large range to me. I'm hoping that it is more on the 6.2 size or the clothes I have bought will fit for about 1 week. Didn't get a picture this time either. Oh well. We saw some birthing videos at our prenatal on Wed, the DH wouldn't watch the part where the baby is crowning, wow, looks like it is going to rip you right open doesn't it?

Well the nursery is finally coming together. The curtains are up, the carpet installed, the crib and dresser/change table put together. I feel a lot better about it now that it is almost done. I feel like I can relax better now that I know it is ready. At least if I had the baby right now we have a spot to put him/her!

How is everyone doing with their weight? I have gained 39 lbs altogether which I am not thrilled with but I think I am retaining a ton of water so I'm hoping that after delivery I will lose at least 25 lbs of that. My calves, leg and hands are puffy all the time but strangely enough my blood pressure is back to normal. Who knows?

Take care all.
Old 08-20-2001, 11:35 AM   #12  

Jen -- I always like reading your posts because I can relate SO well! I am in this weird stage -- I get so bored and anxious when I just lie around all day, yet I have NO energy to do anything! I feel like I am just huge, and believe me am I uncomfortable! Having the baby today would be more than fine with me!

I'm glad the nursery is coming together. I think we have everything all ready with ours.

I have gained about 25 lbs. It would be more, I'm sure, except that I lost so much in the beginning with the m/sickness. I dread the thought of having to lose most of this again. With my others I only lost about 10 lbs with the delivery. Ugh! Let's hope it's more this time.

Allison, have FUN telling everyone your big news, when you are ready to do so. That is such a great thing! Best part of the first trimester! I think WW should give you a year to lose the weight -- at least 9 months! You know what they say, 9 months up, 9 months down. But maybe I am just too slow of a loser. I am going back to WW right away this time. With my first baby I didn't go until she was 4 months old, with the second until she was a year old. I am hopeful that getting going on the program right away will really help.

Counting the days,
Sara
Old 08-20-2001, 01:32 PM   #13  
Jen

Sara, I seem to have quite a bit of energy in very very very short spurts. I'll do something for 12-20 minutes and then I'll have to sit down for about 30 minutes before I can get going again. Thank goodness I am off from work, there is no way I could have managed it. I meant to ask you if you are finding that you have numbness in your hands. I find especially in my right hand that I get numb fingers when I am doing something like for example I was scrubbing the bathtub tile and after a few minutes my fingers were numb. I think it is common especially when the hands are swollen which of course mine are. Also how about heartburn? I find I have days where I am eating many antacids and then days where I am perfectly fine all day. Last but not least I find that my toe joints feel like they need to pop. You know how people crack their knuckles? Well my big toe feels like it needs to crack but it won't. Oh it is so annoying. I figure it is the relaxin hormone that loosens your pelvic bones that affects all the joints in your body. Anyway that is my list of latest complaints besides feeling like a beached whale. Oh one more that has been VERY frustrating. It seems like I can't wear any clothes for more than about 5 minutes without getting them dirty usually with some sort of food. Yesterday I went through 3 shirts. The first just got dirty from working in the nursery, the second I dropped part of a chocolate popsicle on and the 3rd I splashed some egg on when I was making scrambled eggs. I know women get more clutzy when pregnant but this is ridiculous!
Old 08-20-2001, 10:32 PM   #14  

Jen -- Ah, the woes of pregnancy! I have been SUCH a complainer these last few weeks! Then just tonight I found out that a friend (not a close friend, more the friend of a friend) who is 6 months along had an ultrasound and the baby is only to the development stage of 3 months pg. They said the baby won't live but a few hours when it comes. It made me so sad and yet so thankful that so far my little one is healthy...made me realize I need to quit complaining and be thankful!

I haven't had any numbness in my hands, but I had a friend that had that really badly in her last month (couldn't sleep, etc. because of it). The doctor said the swelling was causing a carpel-tunnel like situation. It goes away after the baby comes.

My heartburn has been better lately since the baby dropped, although I still get it a lot! I eat lots of Tums -- no need to worry about meeting my calcium requirement! (Yet I still seem to eat plenty of ice cream using the excuse of the calcium it gives me --haha!)

Tomorrow is my birthday. Wouldn't a baby on my birthday be a nice gift from God? I can hope!

Love,
Sara
Old 08-21-2001, 11:47 AM   #15  
Pending Email Confirmation

Hi everyone, welcome new ones. Sorry but I've only had time to scan through all of your posts...I'm SOOOO tired!! But thanks for the kind thoughts.
We are fine, Leo is beautiful, lovely skin and a little dark hair, only problem is he stilllikes to do most of his feeding at night and I have to go with it as he's still not back up to his birth weight.
The main reason I wanted to check in, apert from to see how you all are is to give you the reassuring news that I'm back to the same weight I was before I fell pregnant. This hardly makes me skinny, or even slim, but it does mean you can shift 25lbs in 2 weeks....now that's my kind of diet!
CAn I carry on here even though I'm not preganat? I'll have to start getting fit, I'm trying to do my post op exercises but I don't supose they'll do too much for me in the long run and I'd miss you lot if I have to find another site to post one...anyway, I'm longing to read all theother baby announcements!
Come on girls, who's next???
Geneve
Closed Thread