Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-27-2005, 10:58 PM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia and Exercise

I have Fibromyalgia and even though I know exercise is very important for weight loss as well as fibro management, it hurts!

Walking can even throw me into a flare!

Right now I'm swimming for exercise (and fun!) but I know this will become increasingly difficult when my schedule gets more crowded in the fall.

I'd also like to add resistance training but again, OW!

Does anyone have any advice? Does it get better with time?

I've heard conflicting advice. Some folks say to try and exercise even if I'm in a flare. Some say to limit exercise when it hurts. I just want to be healthier, thinner and fit!
BellaLumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:58 PM   #2  

Hi,
My wife suffers from Fibromyalgia and arthralgias brought on by the Rubella vaccine. She does, however, lift weights 3xweek in spite of the pain and flare-ups.

While she doesn't use a great deal of intensity, her moderate program of lifting with dumbells and using machines has dramatically increased her bone density and given her much better muscle tone. I would definitely recommend that you give weight training a try, but ease into it gradually.

Good luck with your training,

Robert
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:08 PM   #3  

Robert,

I appreciate your response. It actually made me smile to see where I was at in my fitness when I posted that and how I'm doing now. I was so frustrated when I posted that! I've been exercising 6-7 days per week since then and I've been feeling much better. I'm working on incorporating weights as you well suggest. I've just discovered that I just need to take it slow and easy and listen to my body. Even though it's been difficult I'm amazed at my own progress!

Good luck to you and your wife!!!
BellaLumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:36 AM   #4  

Hi,

I noticed at the "ladies who lift" forum that one of the moderators, Mel, mentions that she has or had fybromylagia. She is now a PT, and lifts weights a lot. Maybe you can go over to the "Ladies who lift" forum and ask her opinion.

The LWL forum is also in the fitness section, just below this forum.

Good luck,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote