Old 09-03-2005, 12:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Default My Son

Today my son came home from being out with friends. They stopped at Hardee's and he got a Double Think Monster and some Fries. When he walked in I could smell it. I said that smells good. You know what he said it's not it's gross!! Then he went straight to the garbage and said he took a bite and all that he could taste was GREASE! I think all that lean beef and turkey hambuger has changed his taste buds! WHAT JOY!!! We (My family) haven't eating there (or any fastfood) for months. Which is a big change comming from people that use to dine out at least 3 times a week.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:01 AM   #2  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

That is AWESOME !!!

Seeing a difference in my kids attitudes makes me SOOO proud.
My son is Seven...eight in November and every time he hugs me now..he says "Mom! I can reach all the way around you now!"
But watching them make better choices for themselves is just incredible...
Congratulations, Mez..I'm happy for ya!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:12 AM   #3  
a new year... a new me

LOL that is so cool!! i've finally gotten my kids into eating less JUNK and nasty fried crap.
shedilbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:20 AM   #4  

That is fantastic Mez!! I only wish my own dd would follow suit. Much as I try to ply her with good, nutricious foods, she'd still always prefer anything greasy, fried, or chocolate! But what can I say, she is my daughter, she comes by it honest! Thanks for sharing this awesome news, it gives me some hope at least!!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Mez--that is awesome.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:03 PM   #6  
Downsizing Dee!

That's great Mez - your healthy habits are becoming the norm around your house. Fantastic for everyone involved.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:30 PM   #7  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

That is so cool. We have also found that the burgers and fries don't taste as good as they used to. I love the healthy food now. It is so good to be in a new life style.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:02 PM   #8  

You know I wonder if we learned to like the greasy stuff. I mean I recall going to Mc Donalds and getting a burger and fries when I was a kid. We only did it on friday. (my dad's payday) I recall being excited to see how many burgers were sold! It was fun to see that number go up, but I don't recall being really exicted about the food. I liked my mom's burgers better they had peppers and onions inside. YUM!
Old 09-06-2005, 03:01 PM   #9  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

We didn't go out for fast food very often. (and when we did, it was to the A&W drive-in because we could have wonderful root beer floats with our burgers and fries) But I remember us having "Mcdonald's" nights, when we'd have burgers and fries for dinner at home. It was SUCH a treat.

I have a hard time getting the idea of healthy food across to Gem. I don't want to preach. She's only four, after all. But thinking that candy is healthy because it tastes good is NOT what I want her to retain. So even though she won't allow any vegetable and most other foods past her lips, we do talk about sweets being "treats" rather than "everyday food". And I notice a real change on TV -- even though a LOT of the commercials on, say, Cartoon Network are still hyping candy and fast food as well as toys, I'm also seeing cartoons and PSAs dealing with healthy eating, and getting out and exercising. Heck, most of the McDonalds commercials I see on "children's" channels lately show Ronald McDonald in a sweat suit, running around and dancing with the kids. (The cynic in me thinks it's a direct reaction to "Supersize Me!", but I could be wrong.)

So I think the idea is slowly getting out there. In school, even on TV -- and if we emphasize it at home too, then the kids may just have some of the ammunition they need to make informed choices. Even if they choose not to eat healthily all the time.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:59 PM   #10  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

That's *great* about your son!!

I grew up eating fast food, massive quantities of it as an adult, never thinking of what I was consuming. It's amazing how our tastes change, isn't it? People are afraid to commit to a change of eating habits, for fear they'll feel deprived...But the thing is, tastes do adapt and you love what you're eating!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:17 PM   #11  

Kimberley, You so hit the nail on the head with peopel being afraid to commit. I think many (myself included) had this idea that if it's real healthy then it's going to be gross or bland. What I have found it yes some stuff can be that way but it's up to us to help make that item better by no adding lots of butter but healthy seasonings like lemon and different flavored vinagers the healthy flavorings are endless and it the end results are so much better than just piling on the butter !
Old 09-06-2005, 10:37 PM   #12  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Absolutely! And I'll tell you, I *love* plain sweet corn, no butter, no salt. It is so fabulous to taste the corn itself without all the other stuff.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:56 PM   #13  
Laura

Pam ~ My daughter just turned 4. Fortunately, she really loves a lot of healthy things (cantelope, strawberries, watermelon, corn, etc) - but we do talk about candy and other sugary treats - we call them "sometimes foods." It has helped a lot. She gets that some foods are healthy and they give your body energy to play and learn and other foods (sometimes foods) taste good but you only eat them in moderation because they don't make you healthier.

I'm so determined that she not struggle with her weight like I do - and I'm determined that she not see me yo-yo diet like my mom did. We just emphasis eating healthy and she can choose to have desert any night of the week after dinner (right now, we have fruit snacks, nilla wafers, teddy grahams or sugar free lollipops as choices) - but she only asks for it 3 times a week or so and sometimes she'll even choose to have cantelope or cucumber instead!!!! :banana:

I think getting TIVO was one of the best investments we ever made b/c we don't even watch the commercials anymore! I am APPALLED at what some of the channels (Nick Jr. is guilty) allow to advertise during preschool programming. GRRRRR

One little bit show that Kyra really likes is Captain Carlos - it's on in the mornings on Disney during Breakfast with Bear (we are huge Bear in the Big Blue House fans around here ) - it's on at about 6:50 I think...anyway, it's only a few minutes long but it is a little cartoon that discusses healthy eating...well, in fact, the whole Breakfast with Bear show centers around healthy eating and exercise.

Anyway - it will get through to her in time.
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote