Old 09-03-2005, 11:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 328/292/135

Height: 5' 1"

Default Katrina Aftermath - Sorry gang, LONG post!

Hey ya'll,

Sorry, I don't even know where to begin with this. I've been watching the Katrina aftermath on the news for days now, and I have literally never been touched more by anything I've seen on the news in my life.

I live in Fort Worth, TX...exactly 475 miles from New Orleans. People that have been evacuated from New Orleans began arriving in Ft Worth last night to be housed in the auditorium at the south campus college probably 5 miles from where I work, and more are being bused in to Will Rogers Collesium in Fort Worth tonight. They just said on the news that 14 more buses are coming in tonight. These people are coming in with literally nothing more than the clothes on their backs...and some of them are missing those. It's the saddest thing I've ever seen. Everyone I know is trying to raise money and take donations to help these people out. Everything from food and water to be trucked into New Orleans to blankets and clothes for the people that have been brought here. At least I can say that almost everyone I have seen has had one thing on their mind...how can we help?! I think that everyone, contrary to popular belief, are good at heart, and will do what they can to help.

I guess I am just like everyone else. You never feel the impact of something like this until it is literally on your doorstep...and I'm 475 miles away! I keep thinking about these people that are right in the middle of it. These people have lost everything they have ever known...home, family, jobs, literally everything. Parents separated from their parents...brothers and sisters who lost sight of each other...husbands and wives who watched their spouses slip away, knowing they will never see them again. I can't help but think about all of the things that I am blessed with right now. I have my family, a place to sleep, food to eat and a job to go to. Yes, I am overweight...okay. Probably for the first time in my life I am seeing that for what it it. I am blessed to have enough to eat...and I don't have to wait 4-5 days to get it!! I even felt blessed to be able to brush my teeth this morning. My mother is pestering me right now putting her hand in front of the screen so that I can't see it. And that is a blessing, because I know that she is right here safe in front of me! For most people, if they would step back and look at things like this, they would see their blessings much more than their problems.

Please don't think that I am preaching...I promise that I'm not. Really I'm must venting. I've been seeing this for days, and it has built up inside to the point that I have to let it out. And I knew that my friends here, more than anywhere else, would understand. I'm trying to find out now how I can sign up to volunteer at one of the evacuation centers. That's much more useful than reflections or anything else. I just needed a chance to vent though.

Let's all pray for the people who have lost everything to this tragedy in Louisiana, Missisippi and Alabama...and the people that are still in New Orleans. This is something that is going to take a long time for these people to recover from. But I know that they are strong, and I know that they can recover.

Thanks for letting me vent...and please know that I consider everyone of you a blessing.

Hugs,

M'Chelle
bonnieangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:33 PM   #2  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

There are so many people that are having trouble with this, you certainly aren't alone. It really makes you think that such devestation can happen here, 1000's of people are dead, half a million displaced, most of them completely destitute. It completely shatters your sense of security.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:03 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

bonnie. you have put it all so elegantly. i've been feeling so very very powerless about the aftermath. after all, what could i possibly do to help? i have the alzheimers mom to take care of, and deadlines, and all kinds of crap.

but the answer came last week. the director of mom's daycare center called to tell me that she'd been in touch with another facility in louisiana. and they've been able to identify 3000 alzheimer's patients with NOTHING. many of the families are evacuated, and many people either had no families or had been dumped. soooo, we've been collecting stuff - clothes, wee wee pads, toiletries, sheets, towels, etc. i've never been so happy to help in my life.

AND, i'm working on starting up a WarmUp America campaign, even teaching the little girls in the neighborhood how to knit.

at least i can do SOMETHING. and that's helping me deal with all of this.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote