Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 09:22 AM   #1  
finding the thin inside

Talking What are you snacking on right now?!?!?

I need some tips.
I have lost 25 lbs so far, and while that's awesome, I don't want to just lose weight, but be healthy. I know that makes sense
I have pretty much stopped eating sweets(cakes, candies, juices, pop, etc)
I switched to a frozen yogurt and have ONE scoop, instead of an entire bowl full of regular ice cream, it has made a big difference.
I have never liked white bread, etc much, so I eat whole wheat pasta, rice, crackers, and bread.
Usually when I feel like having chips, I eat about 20 of those Multi-Grain Wheat Thins. They are crunchy and taste great, but filling as well. (at least to me they are)
I don't eat as much fruit as I should, but fruit is very expensive on my budget right now. I will buy the occasional watermelon or strawberries. But quite honestly I usually just don't eat it.
Even if there is no junk food in the house and I want something, I won't eat the fruit. And it's not that I don't want fruit...it's that if I can't have what I actually want( potato salad, or a grilled cheese sandwich, or oreos) then I'm not hungry at all. The wierd thing is, I could not eat for an entire day because of that.
I don't usually get hunger pains or pangs or whatever they are. And if I do get them, then it's that feeling in your stomache where it actually feels hollow and is growling. The sick thing is, sometimes I like that feeling....
I'm sorry to get so off the topic..
Anyways..for vegetables, I have brocolli, cauliflower, carrots. At dinner time we will have a baked potato, or *Sidekicks.(Which I know is processed crap!)
Dairy I have very little milk, (I seem to go on kicks where I drink lots of it, and then where I won't have any for a while) but I eat cheese occasionally but not NEAR as much. Still though, I know I need to lay off of that, and opt for cottage cheese instead.
For meat, I usually buy extra lean hamburger and I drain what grease is in it, I use Canola Oil and a lot of herbs and spices for flavoring. I usually make it into a stir-fry with red and green peppers, green onion, etc. We also eat a lot of chicken, but I don't eat the skin, and it's always grilled. We have a george foreman grill which I think is MUCH better than frying. Although, lately we have been baking it a lot.
Which is better, grilling or baking?
I don't eat a lot of breakfast, I usually just eat a little something a few hours after I wake up, and then I'll have a little something around lunch, and by little, I mean a few crackers...and then at dinner have chicken breast and a potato or whatever. I am not eating enough!!! And I'm concerned because I am a definite BINGER.
Anyways,..when I think about what to get for snacks, it's usually wheat thins, pretzels, etc. which are all carb, salty, etc.
Then I eat bread, or potatos or pasta, and I know that whole wheat is better, but I still think I am eating way too much carbs and processed foods.
I wanted to know what you all use as snacks for yourself that aren't necessarily considered "carbs"
When the budget says, i'm sorry you can't afford those blueberries, what are good substitues for fresh fruit?
What is a good dip to enjoy with veggies so they aren't as blah after a while?
Anyways, thanks girls!!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 09:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I eat all day long. Seriously. I'm a grazer.
Your post caught my eye because I, too, don't like to eat first thing. I do if I have to go to work (part-timer). But this morning, I've been up for about two hours and just finished Ilene's pancake, fat free cottage cheese and pineapple.
Economy is a factor here too. I use frozen fruit a lot.
Do you have a fitday.com account? It's free and very valuable for assessing your nutrition.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:53 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Wow! So many questions!

Snacking on right now... nothing at this precise moment! My dinner seems to have filled me up! Although I do have a yoghurt and an avocado in the fridge for later!

I minimise my carbs down to 1 slice of bread at a time. I have eggs for breakfast most days or cottage cheese on toast if I don't feel like it. Sometimes I'll have a smoothie if the blender's clean and I can't be bothered with anything else!

Snacks: yoghurts. I have 2 tubs a day at work. also fruit, you can find some fruit that isn't as expensive as blueberries! We usually have a big value bag of apples in. Canned fruit isn't too bad, so long as it isn't in syrup. I have light babybels as a snack too with crackers. I also like NUTS! they've got protein and good fats in and fill you up, just don't eat a whole jumbo bag full! Measure the portions out. I counted out 18 cashew nuts earlier!

If you don't thinking you're eating enough, track EVERYTHING in www.fitday.com and see how many calories you're eating. You don't want to go too low, especially to start off with because it can stall your weight loss and is conter productive.

Oh and baking is about the same as grilling so long as you don't add any fat to either!

Try hummous as a dip, it's full of good fats and protein. Also guacamole is good with avocados, maybe try making your own!

Hope that helps! You can also hop over to UK fat chicks and find out what we eat every day in our Food/Exercise Steps to a Healthier Me thread!
Old 09-02-2005, 11:37 AM   #4  

I agree about hummus as a great dip for veggies. Or you could blend some soft tofu with finely chopped cucumbers and scallions.

For fruit--I often use frozen cherries, blueberries or raspberries and heat them to mix in with morning oatmeal. Unsweetened applesauce is another option--for baking or to mix with cottage cheese.

Lately I've been having a bowl of Shredded Wheat with banana and skim as an afternoon snack.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #5  

Eat the grilled cheese,
2 slices of light bread
1 slice fat free cheese
A little spray butter, YUM!

Oreos... 100 calorie Snack packs Yum again.

Potato salad, I'm sure there is a great receipe made with ff mayo.

Don't deny yourself what you want or you'll just eat everything else and then what you really wanted too!

Just watch those portion sizes.
Cyndie
Old 09-13-2005, 03:08 PM   #6  

I share most everyone's opinion about snacking on yogurt and cottage cheese. I think it's a staple for any healthy diet. Especially for woman who are dieting...we need protien and calcium.
Egg whites, egg whites, egg whites! They are so low in calories, fill you up and are good for you. I don't know about "snacking" on them, but there a great alternative for a meal. You could have 6 egg whites and a slice of light, whole grain bread with a dap of ketchup for under 150 calories. You can eat them morning, noon or night! Subsitute them in baking recipes for a healthier cake, muffin etc. They are a secret diet weapon!

Chicken breast cut into the portion I want (3-4 oz.) marinated in the fridge with NF Zesty Wishbone Italian and baked in the oven is a great tip. Take out when u need and add to salads or make a sandwich. Saves time and is low in fat and calories.

As far as fat free dips, I like fat free veggie dips. I think mostly all taste good, but If you don't like it becuase it tastes too fake, I'd say go for mustard! I dip it in everything. Fat free sour cream with some scallions and garlic salt is an easy dip too make as well.

If you want something sweet and "carby" snack on a Kashi granola bar. They have TONS of fiber and are low in fat. The trail mix one is my favorite...it has dried fruit and whole nuts in it. That with a yogurt is a great snack!
Old 09-13-2005, 07:14 PM   #7  

cottage cheese with pineapples yummy for the tummy
Old 09-13-2005, 09:35 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

I just ate 1/2 whole wheat bagel with a bit of crunchy peanut butter. It was yummy.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:03 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

- cottage cheese with frozen strawberries and splenda
- oatmeal
- Whey protein powder with frozen strawberries shake
- oatmeal with eggwhites, yes, I'm strange... This is my breakfast of choice beat 1/3c oatmeal and 2/3c water, nuke 1 minute, beat again, beat 1/2c eggwhites in with oatmeal, nuke 1 minute, beat again, nuke 1 minute... add some splenda and vanilla beat again... makes kind of like a custard, you can substitute the water for milk if you want more calories or calcium...
- protein pancakes: 1/3c cottage cheese, 1/3c eggwhites, 1/3c oatmeal, Splenda and vanilla to taste, use a handblender till smooth, cook in a pan like a pancake, serve with SF syrup!!
Old 09-14-2005, 06:11 AM   #10  
aka Superwoman!

I am snacking on...

Porridge (oatmeal) made with 1/2C oats, 1C water, 1 "scoop" of protein powder
Old 09-14-2005, 08:14 AM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

I made myself so hungry last night posting that protein pancake recipe that I made it this morning...it was delish!!
Old 09-14-2005, 08:53 AM   #12  
aka Superwoman!

Oooh I had similar pancakes last night I put tiny tiny slices of lancashire cheese in and smothered on the paprika and it was AMAZING!
Closed Thread