Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-29-2005, 09:28 AM   #1  
Philippians 4:13

S/C/G: 239/218/139

Height: 5'2.5"

Question What keeps you motivated?

Hi Everyone-
I was wondering what are some of the things that keep other people motivated to stay on track?
I was doing really well for about a week then last night just started picking and overate. Does or has anyone else have this problem where you can't seem to get past 3 or 4 days of doing well? I thought I was "gonna do it this time". I walked a mile yesterday after dinner, felt really good, then just kept thinking about food, even though I wasn't really hungry.EERRRR! Well today is another day and I fully plan to jump right back up.
I would love to here what some of you do when you get that feeling like you can't stay out of the kitchen. What do you say to yourself, what do you think of, that makes you say no?
I feel like I can do it, then I'm not sure what happens, I don't listen to the voice in my head saying "you're not hungry, you know you'll feel better tommorrow (this usually happens at night) if you don't eat that tonight." This forum really helps. So many of you are doing really awesome, I thought I might be able to get some advice or tips. I know it's up to me to do it but wouldn't mind hearing from you guys.
Thanks!
rdhdgrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:00 AM   #2  

I would really like to see your replies. This sounds exactly like me. I'll be going along just fine and then - Bam - It's gone. I don't want to worry about it any more. I just want to eat. No amount of self talk seems to help. How do you stop the downward spiral?
Barbie Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:11 AM   #3  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Hi ladies !

I just copied/pasted the following from another thread -- it is something I wrote about motivation last week. I think we need two different types of motivation: motivation to get STARTED, and motivation to KEEP GOING.

Here is what I wrote in the other thread:

"Motivation is a tough question. Everyone has to find something that motivates them as an individual, and no one can tell you what that motivation *should* be. You could start by asking yourself WHY you want to lose the weight. How is the weight effecting your life? Do you have a goal that you want to achieve, but feel that the weight is getting in the way? Do you have children for whom you want to be a good role model? There's a million reasons and ways we all keep motivated. For a humorous -- but VERY *real* -- look at some of the motivating factors for folks on 3FC, check out the recent thread "Legs" by paperclippy: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63942

As for me, my motivation has evolved over time. Originally, I just didn't want to be a (tight) size 18 anymore. I'm single, and I thought "If I could just lose this weight, maybe someone would marry me!" But the more I worked out, the more I thought "Gosh. I feel GOOD. And I'm a size 16/14/12/whatever -- which is cool, too!" My motivation has since evolved into the fact that I know now that I want to feel good for ME -- I want stronger legs and better cardio endurance. And yeah, it would still be nice to get to a size 8, but it would be FANTASTIC to be healthy and active for the rest of my life. I want to wake up in the morning with a smile on my face -- focused on my LIFE -- instead of thinking "Ack. What am I going to WEAR today?" and letting how I look in the mirror set the tone for my mood and my day.

So I think the key is to find YOUR reason, and to allow that reason to evolve and change as your body evolves and changes -- it will come naturally, believe me. And stick around here for a while. These folks are fantastic!

Here are some of the things I do daily (or hourly ) to keep me motivated. Like I said, you have to find what works for YOU, but I know that I like to see other people's plans/strategies/etc., so here ya go:

1. If it's a cardio day for me and I just don't wanna do it -- which happens VERY often cuz I despise cardio -- I tell myself "Those minutes that I'm on the elliptical are going to pass either way. I might as well do something productive with the time." ALSO -- and I think I posted this somewhere else -- if I'm actually ON the elliptical and thinking "I can't do this anymore," I think about how insignificant 30 minutes is in the scheme of the whole day. And I KNOW it's worth 30 minutes of work to have 23.5 hours of feeling really good about myself -- and PROUD -- because I am still working hard toward my goal.

2. Food motivation...I don't know how much advice I can give on this because to be honest my eating habits are pretty much ingrained at this point. BUT when I was first starting out, that cheesy line (some) grandmothers say: "A moment on the lips is a lifetime on the hips" was a real motivator for me. It made me stop and think every time I put something in my mouth. Now, when I'm tempted to cheat, I think "Hmmmm....okay, this bottle of Coke is 200 calories. It takes me about 20 minutes on the elliptical to burn 200 calories. I HATE THE ELLIPTICAL, therefore, I ain't drinkin' this Coke."

3. And then all those changes in your energy level, body, outlook, mood, digestive system , self-image, personal pride, etc., etc., etc. come along and you find yourself discovering a million other little reasons to be motivated."

When you're first starting out, these little changes can take some time to appear -- I found that to be the most frustrating stage. That's the point when all you *see* is the hard work you're doing, and feel like your body isn't changing at all. But once those "little things" start happening -- looser clothes, more energy, people's compliments -- everything starts to snowball and you'll have more and more reasons to stick with it. It will take some time for these things to happen, but it is SO WORTH IT IN THE END!!!! I PROMISE!!!

You gals can do it!! 3FC is a GREAT place to get motivation, support, etc.!

- Kate

Last edited by LovesBassets; 08-29-2005 at 10:25 AM.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:04 AM   #4  

I honestly don't count on being motivated all of the time. The fact of the matter is that there are always things that I HAVE to do that I don't WANT to do. Making the best food choices and exercising regularly are two of them. If I make a bad choice I own up to it then pick up the pieces. I mean, it is just like cleaning house. I usually do it whether I feel like it or not because I prefer living in a clean home. Some days I might slack a little but I don't beat myself up about it. I don't stop cleaning house all together just because I didn't do what I should have on ONE day. Staying on track losing weight works the same way.

So, early on I decided that motivation wasn't going to be an issue. But, what kept me EXCITED about losing weight were all of the positive changes I saw and felt. First came the physical changes. My feet didn't hurt, I didn't battle heartburn every single day, I had more energy. Soon after came smaller clothes and nicer ones at that. Then, what seemed like overnight, I realized that I didn't need motivation because these healthier ways had become how I live.

And that was the catch for me. Once I decided that this was how I was going to live for the sake of my health weight loss became secondary. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE watching the scale go down. I LOVE wearing jeans that are a size 6. I LOVE how I look. But those things were just a side effect of eating well and living a good life. It seemed really slow sometimes and that was frustrating so I reminded myself often that the only sure way NOT to reach my goal was to quit all together. I also look ahead to the day that I am at my goal. What's going to motivate me then? Probably nothing. So, unless I want this journey to have been a big waste of time I know I have to learn to count on something besides being motivated every single day - it just isn't going to happen. It boils down to doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do and not because there is some reward down the road.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:23 AM   #5  
playin' for keeps

Hey guys,

Kate, your post was awesome! We should chat some time - I'm also 33 and single...still a few pounds behind ya, though.

Anyway - I thought I'd add a couple of thoughts. I've been doing this for 6 1/2 months now, and still have days that revolve around "I don't wanna". They're few and far between, but they still pop up. As far as food goes, check in with yourself and see if you're really hungry. I keep a bag of baby carrots in the fridge, and if I'm determined to eat, I hit those first. If I'm not really hungry, I'll have a couple and think "ugh - I don't wanna eat this". Also, make sure you're eating enough calories during the day. If you're not, this can make the night time munchies pretty bad.

I've always enjoyed exercise, so this is easier for me. On days where it's a big struggle, it's usually getting started that's the hardest. I make little deals with myself to do a shortened run, or a walk. Once I'm out there, I usually feel much better and will do the whole route. If I still really feel eww-y, I allow myself the shorter/easier workout for that day, and then get back to it the next day.

Kate's right. The hardest part is the beginning where all you have is the work you've been doing. But, there are a zillion rewards that are less obvious than looser pants and bones and muscles appearing. I haven't been sick at all since I started this. I sleep better. I feel better, every day. I'm just generally a happier person.

Also, keep coming back to this site - it's a great source of support!

Good luck!
paula
cagirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:55 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I WISH I knew how to stay motivated! I have been overweight my entire life, and not just by a few pounds--I've probably been obese since about 4th or 5th grade. I think what makes it really hard for me is that I have never known thinness. I never knew what it was to fit into a size 8 (maybe at 6 years old, I did ). I have never known what it's like to NOT be fat. Sure, I'd like to know, and I'm working on finding out, but having shopped in the plus sizes since the 6th grade, I fell like no matter how hard I work, it just ain't gonna happen.

I've been super-serious about this for months now. I'm down about 30 pounds, which I am very happy about, but I think the frustration/lack of motivation for me comes in how SLOOOOOOWLY the journey is going. I can gain 5 pounds in a week, so why does it take 2-3 weeks to lose those 5 pounds?! I know about water weight and hormones and muscle and all the things that affect the scale other than actual fat, but it's still insanely frustrating. I feel like I have done something horribly wrong in my life and am being punished by having to work SO HARD just to try to look "normal."

On the days when I feel the most down, I usually end up binging. Then the next day, I get up and remember why I have been pushing myself for so many months. I remember that I want to fit into a roller coaster harness again so my BF and I can go to the amusement park. I remember that I DO want to have children and be in great shape when I do to minimize the risks of gestational diabetes and other weight-related issues. I remember that before I have kids, I want to get MARRIED and want to look AMAZING in my wedding dress and photos. I remember that I want to go to a high school reunion in 5 years and be HOT so I can rub it in the faces of all the people who made fun of me growing up. I remember that I want to be able to shop in ANY mall, not just those with a Lane Bryant or Avenue store. I remember that I want to be able to buy a bra at Victoria's Secret, just once! I remember that I don't always want to be the fattest one in the room. And most of all, I remember that I DO want to know what it feels like to be thin--to look good, to feel good, to not feel like everyone is silently making fun of me, to not have to worry about how much space is between the seat and the table in a restaurant booth...There are SO many reasons, I have only exposed the tip of the iceberg.

everyone says that your improved health should be your main motivation. That does not work for me at all. Unless I have a heart attack or diabetes or some other very serious condition, that's never going to sink in with me. good thing I have other reasons to want to lose weight before my health turns south!

Now, if only I could force myself to remember all of those things BEFORE I ended up binging in frustration...
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:08 PM   #7  

Default Jill!

Just wanted to say congrats on losing 30#'s. You sound like me. I can get so frustrated at times. I have been trying to lose 30 pounds for so long. I just joined Jenny Craig and love the program.

Stay focused, you'll get there!!

~~DAWN~~
slimmindown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Jawsmom always has wonderful advice.
In fact there's lots of good advice in this whole thread. I'll just add a bit of my own. For everything you do there is consequence. Like elliptical versus the Coke And while you can't screw up a whole week of being good by having one bad day ... you do realise what you do to yourself both mentally and physically. Mentally is the big one. Give it up, leave the bad stuff behind, forgive yourself and move on. If, for some reason, on Thursday you find you've eaten a donut at 2:30 in the afternoon. Start being good again at 2:35.
I'm not sure what motivation is, really. The will to do what's right right now????
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 03:57 PM   #9  
Philippians 4:13

S/C/G: 239/218/139

Height: 5'2.5"

Jill-I totally hear what your sayin'. I wish I could remember those things before I binge. The 30 pound loss is awesome.

Do most of you follow a specific plan? Count calories, weight watchers, etc., or do you just eat healthier and the weight loss follows?

I find that when I count cals. or points I start to obsess over how much I have left. I noticed I eat when I'm not hungry because I have this many cals. or points or whatever left and I want to use them, then I start the downward spiral.

I experimented with eating only when hungry and stopping when I was satisfied (which I haven't done before, weird huh?) I liked it but felt like I did not lose any weight. This was over about a month or so. I do eat what I think are healthy foods like veggies, fruit, lean proteins, whole grains no bad fats. So I guess I just have to tweek things a bit. I am hypothyroid which makes me feel as though it's harder to lose weight, but I know it can be done.

Do you guys let yourself stay a little hungry before bed, are you pretty much satisfied most of the time? Just curious about how other people's body let them know they are on the right track(if you aren't a strict counter).
rdhdgrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:10 PM   #10  

Well, I count calories and watch my protein/carb % too. I plan my whole week's menus ahead of time and enter it into the computer on Sundays. That way I know what I am going to eat. This makes it much easier for me. I do usually leave myself a 100/200 calorie buffer for snacks. I do not go to bed hungry and I eat about 1200/1300 calories per day, 1500 on Friday/Saturday. I eat every 2 hours, it seems to make it easier for me. So, if I am obsessing that I am hungry I never really have to wait long for more food.

In the beginning, I stayed motivated with little gifts to myself like manicures or pedicures, flowers, little things for around $10. If I went to the gym and stayed on plan all week I got my prize. If I didn't, I didn't get anything. Now I just have to look in the mirror for motivation. I am so much happier now, I still have a ways to go though.
sherpamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

That's good Melissa, real good. No wonder you're doing wonderfully!
All I'm going to add is that I eat as much real food as possible. Food in it's natural state, no preservatives, additives ...
Oh and I put my food in the computer sometimes even before I eat it but always just as I go along. If I wait until tomorrow, I'll forget.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:11 PM   #12  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhdgrl1
Do most of you follow a specific plan? Count calories, weight watchers, etc., or do you just eat healthier and the weight loss follows?

Do you guys let yourself stay a little hungry before bed, are you pretty much satisfied most of the time? Just curious about how other people's body let them know they are on the right track(if you aren't a strict counter).
I made up my own plan (with a lot of help from my personal trainer). The only thing I count is grams of protein. Other than that, I simply try to limit carbs and fat. I'd go bananas if I had to count points or anything like that. It just wouldn't fit into my life. I try to eat SOMETHING every 2 - 3 hours even if I'm not hungry to keep my metabolism revved up, and I also do cardio and weight training 3 days a week.

And I almost always eat something right before I go to bed. I know this is considered "bad" by some people, but it works well for me because I've had a tendency all my life to wake up in the middle of the night and raid the fridge -- and when I'm half asleep, I don't usually make the best food decisions . So I usually have a protein shake or some baby carrots right before climbing into bed to get my stomach through the night .
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:19 PM   #13  
resident weirdo

The biggest motivations for me are getting back into clothes I used to could wear, and other peoples reactions to my weight.
kittie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #14  

My motivation comes from my mother. We constantly call each other and go over our activites and daily intake. We also walk together on the phone saving expenses of a gym. She has her own battles and I have my own and we just talk very positive to each other.
We both have our bad days.. Like this week is my biggest challenge.. Most of us girls know what this is. lol You just need a center piece to focus on. Another thing is keep a pair of jeans you once wore and when you get depressed put them on and feel how baggy they are. I did this just yesterday. It really makes you appreciate yourself for what hard work youve done.
This makes me want to be my old size.
Jewelz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

My motivation is health - my grandparents all died very young. Two had cancer, one died of complications of diabetes and one died of complications of Alzheimers. Not one grandparent made it past 70.

I lost 50 lbs and my stats were amazingly impressive last physical, the doctor couldn't stop commenting how wonderful my cholesterol level was.

I lost weight by completely revamping my eating habits - I just don't eat junk anymore. I don't crave it, I don't want it. All the healthy eating patterns are habit now!

Besides health, looking great in size 10 pants is a huge motivator. I have done a TON of "retail therapy" this summer to stay motivated
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote