Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-24-2005, 11:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Question Anybody with an Ostomy

Hello All,

I have an ileostomy thanks to my bowel perforating because of a very bad Ulcerative Colitis attack. It's a permanent ostomy and I had the surgery in August 2003. I contracted MRSA after that operation, and again in 2004 when I had my rectum removed, and again in January this year when I had to have a fistula repaired that developed after my second surgery. Healing takes an eternity, and I still have an open wound now.

I was just wondering if there is anybody here who has an ostomy, or even had any abdominal surgery for other problems who could advise on any exercises I could do that would help burn off the calories, but not have me ending up with a hernia, or damaging the ostomy itself?

If not, well hi to all anyway, it's great to be here,

Hugs,

Ammi

AmmiUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:07 PM   #2  
Struggling Loser

Default Just wanted to say

I just wanted to say hi and good luck with your weight loss! I don't have any experience when it comes to those kinds of things, but do wish you a speedy recovery and lots of luck finding what will help you lose some weight.

I think it would be best to consult with a doctor to see what he/she recommends for weight loss exercise when in your condition. Have you ever tried a handbike? I know many people who are bedridden, or incapable of using their lower body use handbikes to burn calories and lose weight. They are like bike pedals that you turn with your hands. And also some light free weights might work too! Building muscle is going to help you lose weight quicker and easier.

Good luck!

Sarah
sareel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Thank you for your reply Sarah. I haven't heard of those hand bikes, but I will definitely look into them. I have asked my doctor about exercises, but he has no idea what I should or shouldn't do. He said ask my stoma care nurse, well she doesn't have a stoma, so she doesn't know either. She said just do what I feel comfortable with. Well that's just common sense isn't it. I think it is an individual thing, so I will just do more as and when I feel up to it.

It was kind of you to reply, I was getting a bit upset at having so many views but no replies lol. Can't believe I am the only ostomist active on this board at the moment. Anyway thank you.

Hugs,

Ammi
AmmiUK is offline   Reply With Quote