Old 08-25-2005, 11:41 AM   #1  

Default Swallowing my pride and saying hi

I used to post here as a member of the Turtles, but I haven't been around in long time.

About 9 years ago I started a quest to lose weight. I had been overweight since childhood, and never really tried to take weight off. I started just by increasing my activity level in August 96, and by December 98 I had lost 83 pounds through exercise, a car accident, and Weight Watchers. With a loss of 83 pounds I was 180, and wore a size 10/12. I'm 5'9" and large framed, so my body looked right. I maintained that loss (more or less) until 2001, when life went to **** in a handbasket (pardon my language).

In the years since then I have regained that loss, along with 31 friends (OUCH). Now I find myself at 289.0 pounds (I've lost 5 pounds so far). I am keeping up my activity level but trying to temper it for a heavier, more cumbersome body. The ironic thing is that I have a Bachelor's of Science in Kinesiology (the science of human movement) and I'm halfway through a certification for Physical Therapy Assisting. Activity has never been hard. Food is and always was, and probably always will be, my challenge.

Right now I'm following Weight Watchers Flex Points, and experimenting with Points and how many my body needs. I've been doing this for nearly 4 weeks (tomorrow is weigh-in) and I'm not being frustrated or downhearted about it. Instead I'm looking at it scientifically, and tracking numbers and trends and seeing what happens when I change a variable. Sounds cumbersome, but it works for me.

Anyway, after a year or so of therapy I've got a handle (of sorts) on my emotional factors, and I'm ready to get this done. I've read back through the posts to about...mmm...April or May of this year. You seem like a talkative, friendly bunch, and I hope you'll have me.
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:26 PM   #2  

Hi mousie --

Glad you dropped in. No need to be proud around us! We understand, and we're a pretty open group!
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:50 PM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

WELOME!!!

We are so glad that you have decided to join us!! This is a really great bunch!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:51 PM   #4  
One pound at a time...

Welcome to the forum! It is a great place to be!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:41 PM   #5  

Welcome! You have indeed found a friendly bunch here. I am just back after a hiatus, as well.....so I know what a BIG effort it is to get back to it, and how frustrating it can be to loose ground. Fortunately, you & I are not the first to experience this, so there is lots of support from people who understand on the message board.
looosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:46 PM   #6  
Downsizing Dee!

Welcome - great to have you aboard!

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:47 PM   #7  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Yes, people here are a friendly bunch...even welcoming back people like me who spazzed and left for over a year.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #8  

Hi Mousie! Welcome back to 3fc. You really have found a terrific group here and I hope you'll feel comfortable enough to become a permanent part of this ultra-supportive family. So, pick a thread and jump right in, the more the merrier!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:02 PM   #9  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Welcome back, Mousie! I applaud your success in losing the 98 pounds -- you did it before, and you can do it again. I'm very glad that you introduced yourself, and I look forward to your contributions here. Stay present, and you'll surely benefit from the unconditional, incredibly kind support we all share here.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Welcome! I think you've found a great "home."
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:07 PM   #11  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Welcome back. I look forward to seeing you around.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:04 PM   #12  
Green Tea Goddess

Welcome welcome! This is a great group. I'm looking forward to getting to know you.
Venus In Mourning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:40 AM   #13  
Crazy Canuck

Another big welcome here! Post often so we can get re-acquainted with you! You took a few steps back but seem ready, willing and able to start taking some big strides forward ~we'll be with you all the way!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:15 AM   #14  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

I also want to send you a big welcome and to echo what everyone has said already.
You can do this, you know you can...you've done it before.

xoxo
Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:14 AM   #15  

Welcome back. I am pretty new around here and look forward to learning more about you.
jmacway is offline   Reply With Quote