Old 08-22-2005, 11:35 AM   #1  

Talking Southern Comforts

Hey Everyone!
I thought I would start a group for southerners...we have our own special needs! Where else do they have restuarant menus where everything fried! I thought it would be fun to have a group where you could say "that krispy kreme store up yonder (or over town)" or "I reckon I'll pass on the fried okra at the family reunion" or "sweet tea calories don't really count."

Transplanted southerners and wanna be's are welcome too!

I'll go first with an intro:
I'm Beth, 38, and live in Charlotte NC. My family is from Asheville. I lived in Maryland during my formative years (my father worked for IBM) and so occasionally have a fit for steamed blue crab. I am watercolor artist and graphic designer looking for a job. I'm married to a wonderful supportive, if out spoken, man. We have 3 cats and 2 dogs, but no human children.

It feels like I have been trying to lose weight all my life. Sometimes successfully, and more often not. I just keep on keeping on...hoping to find just the right formula of diet and exercise for me.

My weakness is chocolate and eating out! We love to try new restuarants. Yes, I know I could make a healthy choice, but what is the point trying some place new and having steam veggies and grilled chicken? I need a new attitude

Right now I am working with a personal trainer 1 day a week, and doing weights twice a week, and aerobic exercise of some kind 2-3 days a week.

Looking forward to meeting y'all!

Beth
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:53 AM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Hey Beth, I'm Julia from TN -hence the user name. I've lived within 75 miles of Chattanooga all my life except for a year in London. Believe me, I don't miss the food there (blood pudding - what were they thinking?).

I don't have huge cravings for Southern food most of the time - ethnic food is usually my weakness, especially Mexican and sometimes Thai or Indian. However...if forced I could easily live on barbeque stuffed potatoes and fried catfish. I have been making myself steer away from the little trailer on the side of the road that is Choo Choo BBQ. I've been pretty successful in taking the foods that I really love a tweaking them to make them healthier and less calorieful. I still haven't found a good sub for the BBQ though Does anybody have any ideas?
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:03 PM   #3  
Going all the way!!!

S/C/G: 183/183/130

Height: 5'2"

Count me in Beth...I love all things Southern!!

I'm 23, been married for 3 yrs and have a son who's 16 months old. I'm your typical Southern girl whose favorite combination is good food and good company, who likes a big ol' glass of sugar with tea ( ), mud boggin, fishing, good deer jerky, watching the Dawgs, etc.

I got a little chubby in middle school and got teased, so by the end of high school I was an anorexic working out several hours a day. In college I met the three Anti-Christy's: late night Papa John's, Zaxby's chicken, and Liquor. I was cured of anorexia, but not of poor eating habits--I just went from one extreme to the other. When my son turned 1 and I still weighed 205 (up 97 lbs from my lowest adult weight) I realized something HAD to be done.

I had a church experience at the end of May 05 that really opened my eyes to WHY I needed to be healthy and happy on biblical terms, and have been on the down-hill slide (weight-wise that is) ever since. Yes that's right, I'm a good ol Southern CHRISTIAN to boot...who still has a cussing, eating, occasional drinking, good-timing problem that I am working on.

And I definitely agree that being raised in the South has made us all "special needs" dieters...there's no other place in the world with food like ours!!

P.S. Julia~ BBQ actually isn't TERRIBLE for you if you eat only the lean and use a good peppery/vinegary low-cal sauce. That is, as long as it isn't eaten all the time! LOL
TheNewChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #4  

Height: 5'1"

hi Everyone, I'll introduce my self too. My name is Freda. I was born in Kentucky but moved to Michigan when I got married. This is where my son and his family is, so this is where I'll stay. But like the old saying "you can take the girl from the country but you can't take the country from the girl". I have 1 son and 2 adorable grandchildren, a boy and a girl, 5and 2. I'm an RN and work in a local hospital in rehab. I babysit 2 days a week for the grandkids. I love all types of food and have gotten a little away from the southern fried "everything". But I still love it. Some said something about all the vegetables being fried. Well, not all of them, but I like my green beans cooked with a ham hock. Northern people jsut don't understand that, they want them cooked for 5 min. YUCK!

I collect depression glass and antique jewelry. I am an avid reader, especially mysteries. I solve the walking problem (boredom) by always haveing a book tape to listen too.

Looking forward to hearing about every one, Freda
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 223/193/123

Height: 5'0"

Hi ya'll! Thank you Beth for setting this up and moving us over here. A nice place to come in , sit down , and have a spot to sip my iced tea (with splenda now of course ) belong.

I am taking part of my info from the bio I wrote on the south beach board. I hope yall don't mind.

My name is Sara and I am a happily (most of the time happy but at this moment I want to wring his neck and make him walk a day in my shoes) married, 30 yr old SAHM mom of 3 -- ages 6, 2 1/2, and 5 months. Myself and my two best friends/soul sisters (known each other 23 years) have reached a point in our lives where we have got to "do or die" and get our health and bodies back in order. Together we are back on the SB way of life and we are hoping that with our combined efforts and the wonderful support and camaraderie we have witnessed on this awesome board that we will succeed. You all rock!!

I have been back on plan, phase 1, since last Friday and I am down 9 lbs so far. The highest weight I have ever been is 227 which was after I had my first child back in 1999. I suffered from post partum depression and Ben and Jerry were my best friends back then. Oh how I miss them . Once my depression cleared a bit I was able to eventually go down to 150. Kid #2 was then conceived and after his birth I was about 200 to 205 and only leveled back down to 190 after the PPD with him. Last summer we started SB after seeing how great my in-laws were doing. About 3 weeks in I found out about our surprise #3 and once the nausea hit I couldn't even walk near the produce isle without wanting to puke. I think I lived on Sams egg rolls for about 3 months. Just like with the past two pregnancies I developed high blood pressure and eventually preeclampsia. Combined with depression it was hard to focus on my diet but I managed to not gain weight during this pregnancy and I made it to full term. I waited to gain until after the birth . I put on 30 lbs after getting down to 180 in the first few weeks after Logan was born. Emotional eating is my main downfall. Oh and all those vicious kids snacks that call my name out in the middle of the day.

How am I going to stay personally motivated this time? Well, I have a family history of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. My father died at the age of 38 from coronary disease and it could have been prevented. His twin brother died at the age of 53. their brother at the age of 55. I want to see my kids grow up. I don't want anyone saying "Well, she could have prevented it. She could have done better." I have held on to the high blood pressure even after giving birth this 3rd time and I am scared.

On a more positive note -- I am not sure what I should say about me that would let you know more about me. Other than being a SAHM I also own a business that I run from home now. Used to own a retail location but that was just too much of a struggle after 2001. My interests are, time permitting, reading, listening to music, photography, and hanging out with my family and friends.

I love being a southerner and the southern way of life. I just have to turn a blind eye to the few negatives that may exist here. I am originally from OK but mainly grew up in South GA. I've also lived in MI, northern VA, and in Florida. I do love all other areas/countries too but I choose to be a southener.

Fav southern temptations -- sweet tea of course ( we like a little sweet tea with our sugar), fried okra, bbq in sweet sauce, fried chicken, any bread you got. I also love pizza, chinese food, mexican food....yum. I wasn't hugry earlier but now I am! the only things I really don't like are fish of any kind and grits. OK! I know grits are a southern/GA staple but I will forgive the dislike of okra or boiled peanuts If you can forgive my dislike of grits. Sorry!

Sorry about making this so long. Nice to meet you all!!!
Sweet Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:31 PM   #6  

Default Hello ladies!

Woo hoo thank you Beth for hookin us up with this southern support group!

I'm Leanne, age 30, single - go figure! I have a fat cat named Spanky and I'm a Graphic Designer like "ejm". I was born outside of Charlotte, NC in a small town called Shelby. At age 3 my dad got transferred to Valdosta, GA which is where I grew up. I was there until the age of 18, when I moved to Savannah to attend Savannah College of Art Design. Once I graduated I decided to stay in Savannah because I just love it here. It's beautiful and artsy!

I starting growing horizontally and no longer vertically in 5th grade, when Sara (Sweet Tea) had to move to Michigan I think we both got fat bc we got seperated All through middle school, high school and college I was chubby, but athletic, playing softball every step of the way. In college I lost 50 lbs twice without even trying, but gained it back both times. It was all the excercise and not wanting to eat the food at the dorm on the meal plan! Now, I have a career as a graphic designer, which I completely love, but I sit at a desk on my butt 10 hours a day and that makes losing weight harder.

Excercise you say? I plan to but for the moment I am only allowed a few excercises because I have a herniated disk in my lower back. I have been dealing with it for about 10 months now. I am getting closer to the solution as I have tried almost all conservatove treatments required but one...and that one is soon to come. Once that is taken care of I will be SO happy to walk, and walk, and do anything I can excercise wise since I think I have now learned to appreciate the gift of not having to limp like an old lady all the time!!

I have dieted till I am blue in the face, but not anymore. Last Monday, along with Sara and my sister Christa, I started Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet. I haven't weighed in yet but I haven't cheated at all and we have all been doing great. I feel great too. Everyday when I talk to Sara I say "Hey fellow lifestyle changer!" and she always laughs She found this forum for us and I am so happy! You ladies are great to be around and encouraging too!!

Ok I rambled some, sorry! I can talk sometimes So that's me in a nutshell!
No, I'm Sweet Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:36 PM   #7  

Quote:
I know grits are a southern/GA staple but I will forgive the dislike of okra or boiled peanuts If you can forgive my dislike of grits
I don't like grits, fried okra OR iced tea (sweet or otherwise). One of these days I'm gonna get myself thrown out of the Cracker Barrel for saying that.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:38 PM   #8  

ROFLMFAO @ Julia!!!!!
Old 08-22-2005, 10:07 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaTN
I don't like grits, fried okra OR iced tea (sweet or otherwise). One of these days I'm gonna get myself thrown out of the Cracker Barrel for saying that.
LOL Julia -- naw, a true southerner is more than what they put down their gullet .

How about those boiled peanuts? Or is that maybe a Georgia thing?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:11 PM   #10  

Hmmm boiled peanuts, one of those things that I don't have any strong feelings about. Sit me down in front of a bucket with nothing to do and watch 'em disappear but I wouldn't ever actually go out & buy any.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:33 PM   #11  

I hope it isn't too late for me to jump in here!

I was born in Arkansas but have lived in Mississippi most of my life. For all of the jokes made about us I love it here.

I am nearing my goal weight and have gotten this far by counting calories and exercising. I always get a kick out of people who see me for the first time since I've lost this much weight. They always want to know how I did it and I can see the disappointment on their faces when I tell them!

Although my diet has gotten progressively cleaner since I began losing weight I haven't given up any of my favorites. Interestingly enough, the things I used to love aren't really all that appealing to me anymore. So, if I want them I have them but I rarely want them anymore.

I am a SAHM of three kids. Our oldest son is 6 and just started the 1st grade. Our youngest two are 4 year old twins (boy/girl). They will start kindergarten next year. I am certain that my heart will break when I drop them off the first day but it will surely mend quickly when I return to a quiet house and take a shower without an audience. Please tell me, why is it that their world only falls apart when they hear the bathroom door shut?

I am glad to see a couple of familiar names and look forward to getting to know everyone better!

Tricia
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:38 PM   #12  

Hey Tricia! Your weight loss is an inspiration for sure!

As for the kids screaming when the bathroom door shuts, I can't help you there, but I bet Sara can!! LOL
Old 08-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #13  

Hello ladies, as you can see I live in Memphis, TN. I have to admit I am a transplanted YANKEE though ! I grew up in Northwest Indiana (Notre Dame country actually) but we have lived here for 4 years now. My spouse is retired Navy so we lived in Memphis a total of 3 times. When my grandson was born and dh had a lousy job, we picked up and moved down here. Here is something about me:

I am just a shade under 52 yrs old, been married 33 years to a scrumptious adorable man who thinks this fat old body is sexy! I have two grown children, a married son, 32 and lives in Indiana and a dd who is 28 and lives here in Memphis with her dh and my 5 year old gorgeous grandson. I don't work, my husband works for the City of Memphis as an electronics engineer, retired after 20 years from the Navy in 1989 and we have lived one coast to the other in those years. Right now we are anxiously waiting for the next 48 hours to hurry by so we can go to Vegas. We planned this trip the first of the year and the last 2 weeks have been agony. It is so very hot here and my dh sure does need those 10 days we are spending in sin city! Of course, it is like 100 in Vegas but we rented a car so we can just hop in and out of it! It is our absolutely favorite place to vacation and we go every year and never get tired of it.

As for food, I am not a big lover of southern food except maybe good ole Memphis BBQ, which you can't beat anywhere. I hate okra, greens, sweet tea, and grits! I am a real fan of fried chicken, though unfortunately! I am not a "sweet tater" lover nor a fan of pecan pie. I know I should be ashamed for living here huh????? I have relatives that live near Fort Smith, AR and we used to come down here during the summer in my high school years and I laugh at how horrified I was at some of the things they ate and how they acted and went everywhere barefoot! I had this proper mother who would have killed me for walking into a store barefoot! I hadn't been away from my own little world and didn't realize there was actually something different out there from what I was used to. So what do I do? I marry a man who grew up in Southeast NEW MEXICO for heaven's sake. You want a laugh, you should have seen my face when my new in-laws took me to a Mexican restaurant. I had never had that kind of food before (back then there were no taco bells etc around either) and didn't know what to order as I didn't know what anything was, even a taco! Again, unfortunately, I learned FAST and it is one of my favorite foods to cook or eat! I am German and sure miss that cooking. My dh doesn't like German food at all so I rarely get it unless we go to Indiana and I can hunt some sauerbraten up or some schnitzel and noodles! I also love Hungarian and Polish food as the part of the country I grew up in had a lot of middle European communities.

I have a thread that I run on the support forum and post on one other thread so I don't know if I will get in here everyday, but it is nice to see a place for all the southern belles here! It was fun talking with you and seeing about your lives here in the south!

Tricia: My grandson would come over and insist on standing in the bathroom while I peed! It is just a quirk of toddlers I guess. I truly miss my kids occasionally in the house though they have been gone for like 10 years, but I made up for it by getting myself a dog and cat. My dd laughs at us and says she knows we are old because we have a big a** car and a little dog (Grand Marquis and Yorkie ) Cherish the moments with them as in an instant they are grown and out of your house!

Leanne: I am sure you are a gorgeous young woman! I am a huge advocate of loving yourself fat so you can love yourself thin! Look at your body and love the beauty it is now and when you get smaller you won't have to worry about if someone only loves or likes you because of your size!

Sara: Take it from a very old and very married lady, all husbands are pains in the you know what from time to time. It is second nature to them. They seem to think that when they walk out the door, time stops and only picks up when they come back in the door so you shouldn't have any whiny kid, broken dishwasher, poopy pants problems. My dh was gone so very much that he had little or not contact with my kids and it caught up with them all when they became adults. My son and dh get along great but I think there is still alot of resentment from my dd for putting her through the military life. I not only raised them practically alone, I had to deal with a car that was broken and no money to fix it, being hundreds of miles from any family and not having close friends because we were never in one place long enough Just give him a big kiss when he comes through the door and appreciate him faults and all. I almost lost the love of my live 2 years ago to a massive heart attack so I don't look at his faults the same way anymore

TTFN girls! Have a great week and maybe I can post a pic or two of Vegas when I get back!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #14  

Welcome Faye!! Thank you for joining us the more the merrier. Have an awesome time in Vegas ! I am so jealous, I wanna go too!! That would be great if you were able to share some pics when you get back.

Leanne -- where's Christa???

Tricia --You get to shut your bathroom door?????? It's getting to where I can't go UNLESS I have an audience!!

Beth -- thank you so much for setting us up in here . What types of things do you do with your personal trainer? Sounds like you have a great exercise plan

Julia -- what took you to London for a year? how did you like it?

Christy-- So, do you really go bogging? Was there something specific said that turned things around for you? A reading, a passage, or something like that? Anything you can share about your experience?

Freda -- Hey there! What are you currently listening to while you walk? Is Milk glass a depression era glass? If so then Leanne may have some questions for you.

I hope everyone is having a great day! I am still doing pretty well but I have got to get some exercise into my plan asap. The last two days have been taken up with comforting my little fellow who is teething. Wish it weren't so painful and frustrating for the little ones. All this cuddling and soothing has made it hard to actually find time to eat which I know is bad. I did get breakfast and lunch today though . Hopefully tomorrow will be even better.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:36 PM   #15  

Evening ladies! Whew long day at work. I never get time to post at work *sigh*

Sara - Hopefully sis will get to pop in this group tonight and intro herself! I sent her a linky last night!

Freda - oh yes - is milk glass from that era? I have a box full of it that was my grandparents and I need to find out about it. Any help is much appreciated!!

I was good today but pretty tired and thirsty. I made it through it fine tho! I hope eveyone else had a great day!