Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:08 PM   #1  
Workin' hard!

S/C/G: 228/228/165

Default My Journey So Far...

The Honeymoon Stage

So, my first week was bliss. Counting points is entertaining. The websites are fun to visit. Track my food? Sure! I had a few bumps in the road, but overall, I'm digging this new way to enjoy my food. Please pass more of the zero point soup, and don't get any on my Pointsfinder!

She's fat for a reason

Last week was so fantastic, so, I assumed that I would have an even better one this week. I'm learning the drill, I've got some new recipes, I went grocery shopping, all in all - things are good...

Except...

I'm fat for a reason. I like to eat. ALOT. I like to indulge. That's ok, right? Well, mix that with a complete lack of self-control, and, well - that's a disaster (or at least a size 18).

I have had 3 very bad days. What makes them so very bad is that they started SO great. Tracking my points? Check. Making wise choices? Check. Watching portion sizes? Check. (I'm a measuring fool, I tell ya!)

So, what went wrong?

I dunno. I've tried to figure it out. Later, in the evenings though, I've just...binged. Cookies. CHicken nuggets. Pizza. You name it, I ate it. Not just once, but three times this week.

I thought WHY am I doing this. I've really tried to examine the reasons. I can't come up with any.

Today, I'm doing just fine. I don't WANT to overeat, but even more than that I would like to know WHY I'm making those choices...

It's sorta wierd, isn't it?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I eat at night too. Now, I just eat better. I save calories and use them after supper. It's really important to me to have healthy snacks around the house. If I can't find what I want ... I eat everything else!
Old 08-17-2005, 07:10 PM   #3  
banned

im like that too.....
have u considered core?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:02 PM   #4  
Workin' hard!

Will Core help me change the behavior?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:04 PM   #5  
Workin' hard!

Susan - I think I need to do this, too.

What types of snacks do you suggest?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:12 PM   #6  

Maybe it's boredom, Erin. Its a behavior from the past that you need to break the habit of doing. Core can be great, but the key to it is knowing when to stop. The book says "eat until you feel comfortable." Not necessarily keep on going, even if the food is on core.

So how to stop the evening eating? A first step would be to remove the items from the house. Have the 94% fat free Orville's kettlcorn on hand. It's high in fiber, low on points and it fills that niche for when you want something when you bored. A woman in my meetings makes a big bowl of fruit and has that in her fridge so it's the first thing she sees when she opens it up.

Write the points of stuff in your cabinets on your boxes. Then when you go wandering there, you'll have to say "is it worth those points?"

And most of all, have something on hand to reward yourself for that good behavior when you make the good decision. Come here and talk about it, and you'll get great support as well. Do that enough and it turns into a habit.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:29 PM   #7  
Workin' hard!

Elaine - that is the best advice I could of recieved. I'm in the throws of fighting off temptation right now.

I have used all my points up for today (quite wisely, I might add) and I don't need anything else. I'm not even hungry - yet, I feel the need to eat something.

yes, this is most definitely a habit.

I like the fresh fruit in the fridge idea, that's something I would eat.

I do write the points on the boxes, the problem is when I go into this mode I don't care if it's worth the points.

I AM resisting temptation and it's hard!!! I can't believe I am THIS addicted to EATING so MUCH.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:33 PM   #8  
Workin' hard!

Posting my menus might help, too. Is there a specific thread I should begin that in - or is this one appropriate?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:04 AM   #9  

Hi Erin:
I post on the maintaince forum but wanted to share some idea's with you. I share your problem and will power will not make it go away. You are not alone many of us share this problem.
1. Start your point day with dinner. Gives you some leeway in the evening.
2. Find some point friendly snacks for the evening. I always have a sweet subtitute for the evening.
3. I Avoid trigger foods at all cost. For me once I have even a slight bite of about 5 specific foods it is downhill. So I choice not to have them at all.
4. How about a walk or some light exercise after dinner. It will remind you of how hard you are working and will relax you.
5. Count the points before you eat them, if you choose to have them move on. This step helps cut down the damage, and you can use flex points for the amount without guilt.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:53 PM   #10  
Workin' hard!

Reg - thanks so much for posting.

I really need to figure out my trigger foods - I know for a fact that I have them. In fact, I'm suspecting popcorn is one of them (please say it's not so!)

The walking is a great idea - it will take away some of the boredom, and make the work I'm doing real.

Thanks SO much for taking the time to reply, Reg...your post was well thought out, and very helpful.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:35 AM   #11  
Raawwwwr.

Nights are really hard for me, too (being a student - eating and drinking is like, the the only social thing). Donuts, pizza, and beer really do me in So does going out to eat /drink (both physically, and I really feel it in my wallet..)

I usually set aside five points or so for after dinner. That way, I can have a couple beers if I want (if I go out), 1 slice of pizza, or - my new favourite - 94% fat free popcorn (it's like, 2.5 points FOR THE WHOLE BAG <3 <3 <3 )

If you make a decision about what you'll eat at nighttime (say, some fruit salad, or sugar/fat free ice cream, whatever), and you have a plan, then you'll be best off. If you just kind've go blindly into the night and hope you don't get hungry, you'll be in trouble :-X Get some food that's okay to eat - sugar free popsicles, skinny cows, sugar free jello, light potatoe chips (with that fake-fat in them), whatever.

Also -
Random, but I find when I'm up REALLY late it's when I get hungry (from about 1a - 4a) -- when I go to bed, I usually can sleep okay anyway. So try going to bed earlier.

Hope that helped, and best!
Old 08-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #12  
Workin' hard!

Going to bed earlier would DEFINITELY solve my problems!!!

I need to try these skinny cows, I've never seen them!
Old 08-19-2005, 05:52 PM   #13  
MRSKMS

S/C/G: 205

Height: 5'4"

I find for myself that allowing myself to eat at all after supper quite often sets me up for a binge - not sure why but it does. So I usually plan a good supper and then stay away from any kind of snacking at night.
It is hard and I know this past week I have fallen off the wagon quite a bit.
I have been having a terrible time getting back OP since getting home from holidays last week. To be honest all of July and Aug have been a struggle and I really haven't lost alot over the summer but better that than being up 5-10 lbs so still an achievement!!!!

Self motivation and discipline are perhaps the hardest things to develop.

so just keep trying - We are all here to send our encouragment

Cindy
Old 08-19-2005, 10:10 PM   #14  
Workin' hard!

You are so right - self discipline is hard - and you're also right - this site is SO full of encouragement. Thanks for the tips...

Today, I made a big dinner, didn't finish it, and threw it away. I'm not hungry, and I've decided not to let myself eat anymore this evening.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:35 PM   #15  

Hi Erin,

I tend to be a night time eater as well. I journal from 5pm to 5pm. I usually use close to half my points in the evening. Usually a fulfilling supper and then a 2-5 pt snack later in the evening. Most days I can eat light during the day without any problems as long as I know I get a good size meal at the end of the day. Breakfast is usually 3-5 pts and lunch is often 5-7 pts with a couple of 1 or 2pt snacks spaced through out the day. If I still want something to eat I usually will eat some carrot sticks or cucumber slices.

Best of luck on your journey.
Closed Thread