Old 08-16-2005, 10:05 PM   #1  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again.. #749

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #2  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Hi ladies. I've been sick, so this won't be an update or anything. Just wanted to get the new thread started. Hope everyone's doing well. I'll be back when I'm feeling better.
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:49 AM   #3  
Determined to Lose!!!

Hi Girls, just wanted to say - we're back online again...can't wait to read up on what you've been up to! Stay Motivated Chickies!

Kisses and Hugs,
Tammara
BIGGIRL27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:09 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

On the diet front, I've got bad news to report. I have been out of control! I have been eating graham crackers like there's no tomorrow. I don't know what my problem is! I know graham crackers really isn't the worst binge in the world, but seriously, I'll eat a whole package at time, which is between 5-600 calories I have eaten 3 packages in the past 2 days--that's a whole additional day's worth of calories! I sit down at home and watch tv or use the computer, and it's like this force, like I know they are there in the cabinet, and I an compelled to eat them! It's quite frustrating, because I know it's bad while I'm doing it, I feel guilty afterwards, and yet I can't just seem to say no. My scale at home has been saying 287 for the past few days. I know I haven't gained 7 pounds of fat this week (even having eaten fast food, pizza, and a milkshake this past weekend, I'm sure I haven't consumed 24,500 calories more than I have burned), but things are all off in me lately. My hormones are somewhat off--I took my pill later than usual a few days this week because I forgot to take it when I got up (which has lead to spotting, which is very unusual for me). I also know I am retaining water (my ankles tell all!), and then there's these mysterious headaches (though yesterday was okay and nothing so far today). I did hit the gym yesterday--I did 40 minutes on the elliptical (burned over 500 calories), then came home and ate a whole package of graham crackers, felt guilty, so I went for a little walk, but it started POURING while I was out, so I only walked about a half mile and came home SOAKED, so I put in my Advanced Tae Bo tape (couldn't find my Basic one) and only did maybe 15-20 minutes of that (I could hear the floor squeaking, and I didn't want my downstairs neighbors to think there was an earthquake ). I just was SO close to getting below 280, and now it seems like that'll be weeks away, so I get frustrated and I eat, then feel guilty and workout...not a healthy cycle What bothers me most of all is that I have to weigh-in at TOPS tomorrow. I have jeans that I fit into that I haven't worn since college, and yet I have to announce my 6 or 7-pound gain to the group for the week. I love their support and everything, but I feel like a failure when I don't lose. Bah, c'est la vie--live and learn. I've survived worse.

Sorry for the downer--congrats to everyone who is seeing success, whether it be in losing weight, trying new exercises, or reinforcing new good habits!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:41 AM   #5  
Determined to Lose!!!

Talking

Hello Gang,

I'm back with my proper update -it's lunch break time at work when I sit at my desk and read up on posts with a serious face on, looking terribly, terribly busy and interested!

It's got to be a full 3 weeks since I've been regularly reading up and posting. During this time I fell off my plan, but I was conscious that it was just a 'break perioed' and I would get back on track as soon as normalcy was restored. The move to the new house seemed never ending, the painting and decorating is still ongoing. Eric had a birthday last week too... so of course it was his 'birthday week' and we were eating all sorts like baked potato, chocolate cake, carrot cake, treating ourselves to the booze, etc. And of course I indulged in the official 'we're moving meal plan' which consists of pizza, garlic bread, soda, etc. Anyway, it was the first time where I was mindful that these were 'temporary treats' and I was actually anxious to get back on plan and start cooking regularly again. For the most part I've been too afraid to step on the scale. I got away with a 1lb loss on the 5th of Aug, but I thought it was payback time. Well, on Friday I got on the scale and it said I was back at 266 though mortified I was aware that all that salt - and my nearly 0 water intake for the past couple weeks must have had me bloated with water. Well, this morning the scale was kind and showed me at 262 (after only 2-3 days of coming back to my senses). Yowza! Jill, I'm sure this is going to be your situation. Don't worry. Just put your foot down, stop the crazy behaviour and move on. I do think it's important though that when we're 'OFF PLAN' we enjoy it. Because, then it's like, what's the point? I find that when I allow myself to get depressed and do the emotional self-harming thing, it only makes me eat more fatty things uncontrollably and less likely to value myself enough to get back on track. If you do it consciously, enjoy it and move on, then you're less likely to feel deprived and more likely to feel good about getting back 'to work'

Other news: Jill, I too screwed up my birth control pills - except I'm actually panicking about being pregnant. Although, I've opened up a little more about being a mother and moving on to being a 'family,' I so don't want to get pregnant while I am this overweight. I was hoping to start thinking about it when I reached my ultimate goal of 140 (also, I'm just about to go permenant at work and they've already lost 2 PAs b/c they were pregnant and decided to quit!), but hey life waits for no one. I will keep you all posted. I'm supposed to see Flo in a week, but normal 'period mood/behaviour change thing' has yet to happen. *sigh*

I'm now walking 2 miles to work and 2 miles home. That leaves me so spent that I come home, wash up, rest, do some tidying up, make dinner, watch some TV and I'm ready for bed around 10 pm. I really want to get back into my 30 minutes of exercise a day, but man after that walk home I can't imagine doing any more exercise. I'm thinking about taking some Manchurian Ginseng. I got it for Eric for his birthday (amongst other things) and he says he feels so energetic it seems like he's on drugs! Might be worth taking one a day around 5 when I leave to walk home...

OK, that was self indulgent enough - I had a look through #749 and I'm wondering where the heck is everyone? Out enjoying summer, eh? The summer weather has been non-existent here. We just recently got the sun back... I've been wearing long pants and jackets for ages it seems...

Right, well I'll check in sooon... Stay strong gals!
BIGGIRL27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:49 AM   #6  

Thumbs up

Greetings Young Chicks!

Haven't posted on this thread for a while, but I've been keeping up. Been going to the Y, trying to walk a bit and stay OP. Can't say I've always been successful. I seem to be at the start of a plateau. I suppose hitting the first after 59 lbs is pretty good, but darn it, couldn't it have hit after I broke 60? Ah well, nothing to do but keep plugging away.

BigGirl: Glad you've got the moving over, but hun, the painting and decorating NEVER END. We've been in our house for just over three years and we aren't done yet! When you have a life with jobs and other responsibilities, the state of your home falls down the list of "musts". I can't believe you walk 2 miles to work and back! It's very impressive. I park and take a shuttle that is only a mile from the office, but the parking is worth it. I've considered walking from there...or to there, I'd never make it to work on time without wheels under me. Good job getting back on track! Regarding your baby worries...((hug)). I was at about 230 or so when I got pregnant with my DS. Only gained 15 lbs and weighed less after his birth than before! It isn't ideal, but planned or unplanned, they really are a blessing.

By the same token, could just be your body acting weird. Maybe it's my age (42 next month) or the weight loss, but mine has been completely out of wack! I'm at 41 days from my last TOM and just now feeling PMS-y. I used to be 24 days like clockwork. This weirdness started with the weight loss. Course, I could be pregnant too! And I probably wouldn't consider it so much of a blessing!

Jilly: Put the crackers down! Don't waste your time beating yourself up over a slip-up, it's unproductive. Just toss that box in the trash if it's something you can't resist and get them out of your house! Then take a deep breath and start again. I'm quite sure that 7 is the result of water retention. Once you are back on track it'll drop off fast.

Brandnewme: Hope you are feeling much better! Here's a virtual cup of chicken soup!

Well Ladies, other places to surf and things to do and at some point I must get to work and dispense justice to the needy and oppressed! Take care and come listen in on the Old Hen's - we might say something brilliant at any moment.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:00 AM   #7  
Oooo Silly Me!

Good Morning Everyone...

Jilly – I dunno whose had a worse day, you and I? I think you win tho! My day hasn’t started yet, I’ll get back to you on that I notice that sometimes I’ll binge on things like you do… and you are right, there could be a lot worse things to binge on. I too forgot to take my pill last night. I got in around 3 a.m. and went straight to bed. I hope all is well or at least looking better!

Biggirl – Hey welcome back! How’s the new place doing?

Man... I must of gotten up on the wrong side of the bed today... WHOO! I tell you, I'm yelling at everything not nailed to the floor. My poor house fan really got a yelling because he stubbed my toe :-p

I just found out last night that in order to keep me from getting lost on my way home, My uncle's daughter will be going with us. This is the chick I do NOT get along with. Like why don't you just shoot me and get it over with. First, I'll be driving this HUGE truck and will already be nervous, now you gotta put me in that type of environment. So...I'm just sorta taking my breathes as they go and seeing if a maintained and orderly environment can be accomplished. Basically I will bite my lip :-p She has a DUI so she's got a suspended license and is unable to drive which doesn't stop her... but still... *biting lip*

How about them Braves?? I've been going to the Angels games, so I sorta been cheating on my braves. But you better believe it when the come out to California and play the Angels, I'll be the only one in the stadium NOT wearing Angel red How's that for a topic change

So... now that I got my whining out of the way... I feel better! Now i have to go get ready for this really fun and exciting trip to LA.

Take care everyone...
Sue...
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:02 AM   #8  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Jill, first off, take a deep breath. Secondly, don't buy any more graham crackers. Lastly, forgive yourself. Try writing an emotions journal about what you had happen that day, how you felt about it, what you were thinking about while bingeing. I had a friend who was an alcoholic, and hated hangovers. Her counselor told her that she could go her entire life without another hangover by simply never taking another drink. If you hate feeling the way you are feeling, if you hate being mad at yourself for bingeing, you can avoid that hurtful feeling for the rest of your life by never bingeing again. I realize that sounds simplistic, but real maturity means telling ourselves no. Treat your inner child like you would your own child. If you wouldn't let a son or daughter sit and eat an entire box of crackers, then tell yourself no. I didn't learn how to do that until I was in my '40's, so I know how hard it is, but there is such a sense of calm that comes from being able to and giving yourself permission to tell yourself no.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:50 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I honestly don't know what my problem was (note the word was, not is ). Even if the crackers weren't there, I think I would have "binged" on strawberries or low-fat cheese or skinless grilled chicken instead of the low-fat graham crackers--anything I could have just grabbed and eaten without having to work for it (which, thanks to my lifestyle, almost everything I have is quick grab-and-go stuff prepared ahead of time). Possibly hormonal, possibly some issues I dont even know exist. In any case, I'm eating only fruits and veggies today to try to get all this garbage out of my system. That with my 9+ servings of water a day should at least help to get me back to a real new starting point. Tomorrow is TOPS day, so whether I want to or not (and I'd really rather not, for sanity's sake), I have to weigh-in.

Thanks for the words everyone--the encouragement, support, and advice I think something that I may not even realize I'm stressing about is moving in October. It seems so far away when I say October--after all, it's sweltering hot and humid here, so Halloween seems years away! However, when I look at a calendar, I see that I have about 2 months to find a new home, and that doesn't sound like much time, especially considering I need to take Jeff's needs into consideration as well (we are moving in together). Of course, I may also be stressing about work, since my boss has been gone for a week and a half now (a woman whom I ADORED and LOVED working with--she moved to NC for grad school), and I have a feeling the s*!* is gonna hit the fan soon and I'll be drowning in work. Then again, I may be stressing about my second job and how much I want to quit, yet the manager keeps plading with me to stay at least until they hire 6 new servers and 2 new hostesses (we're insanely shorthanded). I don't feel particularly stressed because it all just seems normal to me, but maybe my subconscious has other ideas. Nah, the weight gain and seemingly-uncontrollable urges couldn't possibly be emotional or stress-related
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Hi Everyone,

It was just reading all of the posts. It has been a very long time since I posted. My husband got fired from his job about two weeks ago. So, we were kind of scrambling to send resumes etc. We sent some to Northern Idaho, which is so beautiful there and wouldn't you know it the ones we sent here in the Boise area, no one called but al of the ones in Northern Idah phoned and wanted him to come for interviews so off we went. It is an 8 hour drive. It was pretty nice to travel with him in the car but I have been sooooooo nervous. We put our house up for sale. He has another place in Northern ID that wants him to come for an interview and I told him he has to go himself. I need to get back on track with my weight loss before it is all gained back. I won't weigh myself now because I was off program so much. I will wait until next week and see what damage I have done. Any way, congrats to all the loosers and a big hello to everyone.

Blessings,
Dogpal
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:56 PM   #11  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

Well I'll try posting again after my yesterday's post vanished into cyberspace.

I have been going to the gym swimming and this morning I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes. That was a test of will. As much as I dread being in public with my bathing suit on, that big room full of treadmills and bikes and ellipticals is just as daunting with mirrors on everywall everyone seeming so fit and trim...except me. I feel like I want to go up to all those people and say, "I don't really look like this. Not that long ago I looked just like you. This isn't me!!!" I have noticed over the past several weeks I have stopped looking at myself in the mirror except to do my makeup. My face I can look at, my body...no way Jose!!! When I walk into my bathroom I make a concerted effort to put my head down so I won't see myself, particulary if i am in some skimpy jammies or just out of the shower. It makes me sad that I loathe my appearance that much and yet am having such a struggle to change my ways. I try to be content with small changes, like I have been working out for a little over a week now. I wasn't doing that before. But the eating is still fairly uncontrolled. I see a counselor to help me with this because I have struggled at different points in my life, mostly with binge eating, but also with bulimia and even anorexia in my early 20's. I've been every weight in the book, I swear. She has suggested several time that I see a registered dietician. And I have really poo-pooed that idea. I mean, come on, I have read every book known to man about diets and nutrition. I know it all, don't I? Well, last week, I agreed to make an appointment with the nutritionist. The one she referred me to works at an eating disorder clinic and specializes in treating people with "food issues". I am trying to be open-minded. I vascillate between feeling hopeful that maybe she will tell me something profound that will really help me and feeling like "What' the point...I don't need someone to tell me to eat lean meats, 7 servings of fruits and vegetables everyday, cut back refined cards, watch the bad fat, eat more good fat, eat whole grains." I mean, I know that. Don't we all know that? But, I am sticking with my promise I would go. And I promise I will try to listen with an open mind. Also, I am going to get my first full physical (not an gyno physical) since I was in 8th grade. Yeah, that was only, like, 20 years ago. I went to the lab on Monday to get my blood drawn because the doc wanted to have my blood results for my appt. on Friday. I dread to find out what I have done to my health with this most recent weight gain. Oh well, enough. I guess I just needed to vent a few things. I will just go on with trying to get better no matter how slow the progress seems.

jillybean - I really empathize with your feeling "compelled" to eat the graham crackers. I'd feel like a hypocrit giving you advice on how to stop yourself because I certainly haven't mastered it myself. But I do know what that compulsion feels like and know that it is very difficult. All I can say is you have done so well so far and I know you will get your feet back under you and back on track. I love reading your posts and am glad you are here.

BIGGIRL - sounds like you are having fun decorating your new place. I plan on doing a little painting myself this weekend. Am going for red....I'm feeling adventurous.

hippivanlady - you always find a way to say something that really strikes me. The story about what the counselor told your alcoholic friend. I'm really going to have to think about that next time I feel the compulsion. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom.

dogpal - A friend of mine and her hubby just found out they are moving to Boise very soon. Her daughter and son-in-law already live there so they wanted to be closer. I've never been to Idaho and I am looking forward to visiting once they find a place and get settled.

Well, let post this baby and see if it makes it to the board or mysteriously vanishes into the 5th dimension!!!
Xena2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:34 PM   #12  

Default Its Me

HELLO EVERYONE. I HAVE BEEN HAVING A GREAT WEEK. I HAVE BEEN EXERCISING AND EATING RIGHT AND I FEEL GREAT.

deboraheischen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:36 PM   #13  
Inch by Inch, Its a Cinch

Howdy everyone!

Today has just been one BIG ARGH!!!!

At work, my boss was on my behind all day about getting stuff done that she just gave me yesterday and then she left for the day? What the heck?!?!?!

Then, hubby and I came home for lunch and when we got back in the car to leave, it wouldn't start. Ok, I am thinking the battery is dead (we jumped our other car over the weekend) but the radio and the dome lights were coming on. We called the dealership and apparently our keys have a chip in them and the car is not recognizing our keys!

The car was towed out of our garage ($45), we had to rent a car ($38/day for at least four days; they have to order a part that won't be here until Monday $184) and when the dealership called back-we are looking at $500 to fix it. The car is a 2000 Ford Windstar with less than 60,000 miles! We have had to replace the transmission and the fuel injectors and now this... ARGH!

So, as you can image, I am irritated but I stayed OP!!!

I hope everyone else's day has been better than mine!!!!!

Take care everyone!
netekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:00 AM   #14  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Hi Ladies,

I am glad I have found you. I was inspired to post by DOGPAL's recent post. It is nice to know I am not alone in going through major changes. I am interviewing for jobs after having been off work for almost a year due to surgery for uterine cancer. I seem to be fine (no chemo or radiation) but it has taken a long time for my energy and joy de vivre to return. It is definitely one day at a time.

I lost 50 pound in early 2004 and maintained it until 3-4 months after my surgery when I regained about 15 pounds. Then this summer I gained back another ten pounds and have been losing again this month. Still, I am pleased that I have maintained a 25 pound loss for about a year and a half. It feels really good.

I am just getting back to working, dating (I'm single) and genrally having a life. It is great to be able to share it with you all! I lost 5 pounds last week. Whoopee!!!!!
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:25 AM   #15  
Oooo Silly Me!

Dogpal – It’s so good to see you back! I know it’s under stressed times, but we’re here for you and I am sure we’re all sending our best for you. You certainly have my thoughts and prayers. *great big hugz*

Netekay – uuggh! When it rains it pours! I spent $40 at the dealership for them to tell me my gas cap was loose… My parents also had the same problem as you with the chip in the key, and those prices sound about right unfortunately…

Xena – Bravo for you for getting out in public with a swimsuit. I’m the same way! How do you like the swimming?? My body is thanking me for it, less stress on my knees and other parts.

Activeadventurer – WELCOME! The ladies here are wonderful! Make yourself at home and jump right on in! I lost about 30lbs back in 2004 as well, then I got sick… and I got sick… and I got sick… one right after the other. I gained back about 12lbs (give or take) but I’ve currectly cut that loss back down to about 3lbs left before I get back to where I had lost the original 30lbs. The hard part is the motivation, but I think it’s coming back… Glad to see you here!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Sue…
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote