Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #1  
Alis volat propiis

S/C/G: 270/See Slider/145-140

Default What have you learned?

I saw this on the WW General Forum and shamelessly lifted it for us!

What lessons about eating, "dieting," nutrition, health, etc. have you learned from WW? They can be big, small, specific to foods, more big picture, whatever.

I've learned that guilt and resentment are counter-productive; I've learned that looking at this like a diet that I can "go off of" once I lose weight is just setting myself up for failure. And I've learned that nourishing yourself and feeling good is different then stuffing your face with greasy, fatty foods and sugar-packed treats. Oh, and to steal from AA, I've learned that it does, indeed, work if you work i
Old 08-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #2  
Thin Girl In Hiding

Talking

These are some of the things that I have learned in the last 9 weeks....

1.Drinking water does more than fill me up when I am hungry. It has helped my skin, hair, mood and energy level.I am even sleeping well again, WITHOUT sleeping pills! Up until 2 weeks ago, I was addicted to Ambien (prescribed and also a very BAD drug) and I have not had one in 2 weeks! YAY!

2.Nothing tastes as good as feeling good feels.

This is so true for me, I have been feeding my feelings for too many years.
I have used food to get me thru a miscarriage( almost 4 months along), dealing with infertility, an abusive marriage, battled severe Endometriosis,divorce and most recently, a complete hysterectomy 2 years ago next month.
I do go to therapy, and I have been learning on how to deal with my feelings and emotions with out using food. I had also learned that I am a compulsive overeater(duh, aren't we all?) and I find that the more I make myself aware when I reach for food, the better I do.You would think it's rocket science. Now that I have been changing, it all makes sense!

3.Portion control, portion control and more portion control! Wow, amazing what that alone can do!

4.I have learned that I can do this because I want this. I've wanted to not only lose the weight, but to be a healthy person. Inside AND out. I have kicked my excuses to the curb.( does not mean you will not ever hear me whine! LOL)
This feels great! And I'm not going anywhere, so get used to me world!
Old 08-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #3  
Karen

Thanks for the posts!

This is such a great site! I have learned that. I have learned when I am feeling hungry, I read more posts. I have learned to take one day at a time. I have learned that this process is very hard. I have learned that I am finding great support here, more than anywhere else! Thanks!
Old 08-12-2005, 04:00 PM   #4  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I have learned that making friends online who are working on the same things is VERY helpful. ::::hugs::::

I have learned that cooking "diet" foods can be just as much fun as cooking my high-fat foods. I was afraid I'd be missing out on the fun of trying new recipes and searching online for recipes, but, it's turned out that I can still do both.

I have learned that I CAN do without some of my favorites... bagels, for example.... by replacing them with better alternatives. I'm not giving them up entirely, but, I'm saving them for special treats.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:38 PM   #5  

I agree this site has done so much for me! I love reading the success stories and this time know that I will one day be one of them.

I heard a speaker this week stress own up to what you are. That was tough for me. I always thought oh I don't look this fat or I look ok then would see a picture of me and be angry at the person who took it because they shot a bad angle. How is that for denial. Well I have looked in the mirror and wow what a reality check this has been. I am glad to realize yes it is bad but tomorrow it won't look as bad as today! I am persevering! This time I want the GOAL
Closed Thread