Old 08-10-2005, 11:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens - 40+ And Ready To Lose - Vol. 7

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:09 PM   #2  

Hey ladies,

Not much exciting going on tonight. We had to take Tanyah over to the vets (saves $40 in trip charge) as she has a sarcoid (tumor) on her belly. I already have the meds but needed to confirm that it was what I thought before applying meds. Then I worked each of the boys. Man, the sweat was annoying. And the dust awful.

Lilion - Ouch Ouch Ouch. $6000 is awful. I too hate those decisions. Its hard to know who to trust.

Leanne - Good deal with restarting the 2x2's. I had asked for someone else to help over on the other thread but no one even acknowledged my post. I'm happy to see it come back. Thanks!

I'm caught up from my last post already!

Time for bed. OMG, I just heard the words "strong August cold front coming" on the news. Woohoo!!! Its time of year that I start looking forward to wearing jeans and regular shoes again. I'm tired of sandals.

Goodnight!
Old 08-11-2005, 09:59 AM   #3  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Hope all is well and you are having a happy, healthy day!

Did pretty good yesterday, although we ate really, really late! Got home at 5:00 and was so tired! Dozed until DH got home and then started working on dinner. So, even though it was a quick meal, it wasn't done until nearly 7 and we needed to go to the Y. Went and left dinner sitting on the stove. I was SO HUNGRY. And I get really crabby when I'm hungry, not a good thing. Then our workout was interrupted when the lifeguard at the Y wouldn't let my son swim because he was under 12 and didn't have a 18+ with him. For heavens's sake, his friend/sitter was with him and she's 15, but that wasn't good enough even though they've never said anything before! So, I was hungry, tired and crabby and pissed...that lifeguard has no idea how much self-control I exerted not to climb the fence! Anyway, by the time we got home dinner was at 8:30 p.m. But it was low-cal goulash, think I'll post it on the recipe board.

We got our second bid on the heating and cooling from a local HVAC company - $1000 LESS than Sears! I'm hoping for yet another $1000 less from the third contractor but time will tell. Then to decide how to finance it, because we sure don't have 5 grand laying around!

Hope to get a lot of work done today, so I best get moving along!

Terri: Cold Front!?! Really? You aren't just teasing me, are you? I'm like you, I SO want to be in jeans again! I even have a pair that fits!!! My size 20's fit like a glove now and I REALLY want to wear them. It's kind of funny, because although they aren't tight at all, they seem so SMALL - I guess that's what happens when you get too used to stretchy clothes.

Leanne: I'm looking forward to the 2x2. We're doing it from Wednesday to Wednesday?

And I'm all caught up! Where is everyone??? Summertime kills computer chatting, don't it? I best get to work...Onward and Downward Ladies!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:24 PM   #4  
Leanne

About the 2x2 - yes wednesday to wednesday. I thought about waiting until Monday to start it then thought "no way - that's just putting it off AGAIN!" so wednesday it is. Most people have a weighin within 2 days of that (either way) so it might work out well anyway!

Well while you are all sweltering - we are FREEZING. Yesterday it snowed in parts of Australia it hasn't snowed in for multiple years. It's about 5C here at the moment and I'm not looking forward to heading out to work in a few minutes.

Hope everyone is doing well - onward and downward!! hehe

Leanne
hippygoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:05 AM   #5  

Wink Are you there?

Wake up everybody! My it is quiet on here. How is everybody doing? I think I am doing ok. I am still trying to adjust my points to see if I am gettng too many or not enough. I am not seeing a lot of movement on the scales, but that is not unusual for me. I will hold at a certain weight and then drop several lbs all at once One can hope.

Yes, Leanne it is HOT here, I could stand some of that cool weather. I don't mind cold weather, but freezing is not something I look forward to. Stay warm!

Lilion, hungry, pissed and crabby doesn't sound as if you were having a good day. I would be faint from hunger if I waited until 8:30 to eat, and crabby wouldn't describe my mood. LOL! Maybe you should have met the AC guy without the undies after all ... He might have given you a real deal! That is a lot of mooola!

Terri, Poor horse! There is medicine that takes care of a tumor? I learn something new all of the time. I thought they had to be cut out. Ouch. You must have a lot of energy! I am sure that is good exercise for you and the horse, (working them out) but I am like you, I don't like to sweat and the dust would drive me away fast.

I think that is it for this thread. Come out where ever you are Hens. Iwillbe....Ruth
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:30 PM   #6  

Smile

Good Morning Ladies!

Well, WI was a bit disapointing today, lost not an ounce! But I'm not too upset or surprized. Although food has been pretty good this week, exercise was down a tad from the week before and water has been bad as well. And, after 37 days I'm finally feeling a bit PMS-ish and can tell I've got some water retention going on. I suspect I'll show a loss next week.

On the up side, I'm wearing my size 20, non-stretch jeans today! They feel SOOO tight sitting down! But they aren't really, I know. They fit just fine standing up and the two people I've asked have said they don't look tight at all, standing up. I guess I've gotten so used to wearing baggy 24's with lycra that normal jeans just feel weird!

Glad I wore them though, because we've just gotten word that, Our Beloved Governor has declared a new dress code for state employees. Yes, as of last year the average state workers pay ranked 49th in the nation, but apparently we have to at least look like we're well-paid. No more casual Fridays for us and even if casual Fridays are allowed, no jeans, ever. Now, as an attorney, I've always had to wear skirts so it's not that big of a deal for me, but I know Social Services workers who literally don't own anything else and will have to buy new clothes! Yeah, I know I'm ranting ...but please, "It costs the state NOTHING and improves morale, so let's get rid of it!" What kind of thinking is that?

Okay, deep breath I can do nothing at all about it...like most of what I put up with here, but the private sector is looking better all the time.

Leanne: You box up some of that snow and send it here! Every little bit of cool helps!

Ruth: Yes, I hate eating that late. I'm usually pretty hungry by 5. By 7 the growling has stopped and by 8 I'm almost out of the mood to eat...but BOY do I get crabby! I never knew I did until I was working for a law firm in the early 90's and went on a trip with the Sr. partner. When we got back he made a remark to someone at lunch time that we needed to get lunch because I'd get mean if he didn't feed me! Embarassing, but I never had to worry about him letting me take lunch breaks!

Terri: I just love horses, and know nearly nothing about them. Hope yours is doing better.

Well, I'm looking forward to LOTS of updates from EVERYONE! Lets hear it!

Onward and Downward Ladies!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:07 PM   #7  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

I haven't been posting enough lately because I've still got "man on the brain" disease. There is one advantage to long distance courting, you actually have to talk to each other. I'm not exactly sure of his intentions, but he is dragging me 3500 miles, across the continent and 2 time zones so that his family can all meet me. I'm not a rocket scientist, but I think he is getting serious. He wants me to have a long lay over in Chicago so that his sister who lives there can come out and meet me. This is a woman with 3 children in diapers, and he wants to drag her out to O'hare in the middle of summer. So I have been putting some serious research and thought into how I feel about it. I want to know my answer in case I hear the question. I also want to make or buy some new clothes in the next 6 weeks before my trip. I'm only going to get one chance to make a good first impression with his folks, and I understand that his mother is "prickly." My mother makes Joan Crawford look like Betty Crocker, so prickly I think I can handle. Afterall, I am a formidable woman myself.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:37 AM   #8  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Another Restart!

As of this morning I'm officially trying again. I've had a healthy breakfast and made that "gotta buy good stuff" trip to the grocery store. I'm psyched!

I wasn't happy to see I've gained 15 lbs since mid April but, to be honest, I'm surprised it wasn't a lot worse.

LILION: I hate dress codes! Suck it in and wear those 20's proudly. What I wouldn't give to get comfortably into 28's. 30's are my friend right now. I need to be stretched. 5'2" is just too short for a fat person!
j-ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:04 PM   #9  
BELIEVE!

Happy Saturday Friends!
Just popping in for a quick Hello! I'm waiting for DH to get ready to run some errands with me. We have a wedding to go to next Friday and I am hoping to find something to wear. Then we are going to pick up some movies to watch on our new TV. We splurged and bought a plasma last weekend!

We've been moving the house around lately to get ready for when our baby comes home from Guatemala. We turned the living room into an office/media room. Last weekend we moved our desks and computer equipment. Dang - that was a workout and a half. Now I have lots of painting and decorating to do! It's all fun stuff.

Food and exercise continue to be so-so. No ones fault but my own. I have a few really good days, then a few poor days. I am up and down the same couple pounds...but I WILL NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Well, DH is ready....I better run. Have a WONDERFUL weekend!

Hugs!
Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:45 PM   #10  
Hang In There

Good intentions never get us very far do they? I think I'd better go sign up for the 2x2 for motivation.

Work remained crappy all week. I tried to sit in my corner and keep my mouth shut, but I still hear most of it. But as Terri said, I just keep focused on the reason I'm there. I got a paycheck Thursday.

I did take my mom to get her wig today. She woke up yesterday with her hair comming out in streams. We got a really pretty one, and it wasn't too expensive either. She is still feeling good (so she says) but I think it's finally sinking in that this is serious. She told me today that she hopes she makes it until October because she has a CD that comes due and that will pay her burial expenses so we don't have to.

I put more "stuff" up on ebay today. I hope I have half as good luck with this as I did with the last sales I had.

Yes, I know, I don't do well with replies, but know that I'm reading and thinking of everyone.

ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:16 PM   #11  

Hey chicks!

Wow, we started off with such a bang and have gotten so quiet. We can't use the excuse that its too hard to keep up anymore!

Its been a blah weekend with all the rain. I have tackled a few projects at home that I have been procrastinating. Getting caught up on bills and ironing being two big ones.

This morning, I did 45 minutes of pilates and other conditioning work with hand weights. I'll walk the dog before going to bed now that the drizzle has stopped. I've got to get the exercise program going again if I'm going to get the darn scale moving again. I hate paying weekly WW fees and then being stalled out when I'm just beginning.

I need to go get clothes out of the laundry.

Hope everyone had a good weekend and a good excuse for staying away! (I didn't have a good excuse so I'm chastising myself too!)
Old 08-14-2005, 08:27 PM   #12  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Evening Ladies,

It's damp but not raining and cool, Good thing too. My box fan, that cools my bedroom, bit the dust this afternoon. I went out at about 5 to get a new one. No luck so far. Home Depot and a couple local places are sold out. Shoot they have displays of lawn rakes & draft stops. They'll probably have the snow blowers and shovels out next week. It's as bad as trying to find seasonal clothes 3 weeks after said season begins, Grrrr!

I've been puttering around the house all weekend and staying OP.

ttyl,
j-ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:27 PM   #13  
Leanne

Great to hear you are staying OP, Judy It's finally warming up a little here, but my youngest has gone on his first trip without me (with his school) to visit the snow down south, and visit Canberra as well. He will be away 6 days and I miss him already!

Terri, I think you are amazing with all the exercise you do! I know that scale will start moving downwards for you soon.

Barb I feel for you with what's happening with your mother. It must be so difficult. It's good that she's got a good attitude about it, but it must be taking its toll on you, and the work situation isn't easy either. Be kind to yourself {{{hugs}}}

BarbPA - you must be just bursting out of your socks with excitement over this new addition = how exciting! and as for being OP ... you know what they say about perserverance - winners are people who get up one more time than they fall down (or something like that!) So don't give up!

Catherine, your post took me right back to those "man-on-the-brain" days. Your head must be in a whirl. I hope you can find/make some clothes that fit you well and make you feel like a million dollars when you meet this man's family.

Lilion, I am so jealous. I would KILL to be in size 20 jeans. I know the sizing there isn't the same as here, but I am a classic "Aussie pear" - big bum and hips and smaller waist/top. I can't wait until I can get into jeans again fullstop!

Ruth, I just know that you are going to see a drop soon. Hang in there, you are doing great

As for me - I shocked myself by doing 34 minutes on the exercise bike this morning, in one session. My knee is a bit swollen and sore but not terrible. I still have another 3.5 lbs to go to get back down to where I was 2 1/2 weeks ago, but at least its moving in the right direction.

Leanne
hippygoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:56 PM   #14  

I'm back.

Had dinner, watched Six Feet Under, and just walked the dog. SFU has gone really intense this season. Too bad its the last.

I'm pleased to report that I made the dog walk more of a workout. With the break in temps, it was quite pleasant to walk. So we jogged just a bit and otherwise tried to powerwalk.

DH is now watching a remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre from a couple of years ago. Seriously, did that movie really need to be remade? Again? There is a version with Mathew MacConoughey and Rene Zellweger that was particularly bad.

Leanne - Snow! I'm not ready for that yet but I am ready for the dog days of August to be over. Good job on the exercise!

Judy - Hope it stays cool! You are so right about the stores. I wouldn''t be surprised to see Halloween candy soon.

Barb.G - That is too bad about the job situation turning bad so soon. But hey, its a paycheck! I've had to tell my peers that I just didn't want to hear any negative crap because I have to sleep at night and don't want to be worried about work. {{{{hugs}}}}} for your mom. Its good that she has you there for her.

BarbPA - Good to see you too. How fun to be redecorating that room!

Catherine - You definitely do have "man on the brain". Wow, that's a lot to take in.

Lilion - Good job on the size 20's. I have a couple of pairs of size 18's and am ready to make them all 18's. Got to get the scale moving. Great accomplishment!

Okay, this movie is too intense so I'm going to bed. Hope I don't have nightmares!

Goodnight again!
Old 08-14-2005, 11:23 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 332.4/228.4/175

Height: 5'11"

Hey ladies! Just popping in to say hi. I did get to go on my vacation and had a great time. I'll try to post more tomorrow, but I did want to say to Judy, I work at Home Depot and our store has had snow blowers since the end of July. The sad part is that people are actually buying them. Hope you find a fan, this heat is brutal. Goodnight to everyone.
Steph
bobsgal is offline   Reply With Quote