Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #1  

Default Whipped Evaporated milk??

Hi all,

Last night I was watching Rachel Ray on food network. She made whipped cream using fat free evaporated milk. She just chilled 1/4 cup in the freezer for 15 minutes and then whipped with honey and vanilla (I was thinking of using splenda). Has anyone ever tried this??? It looked like the real stuff but I've never heard of anyone doing it this way. One tablespoon of evaporated milk is around 13 calories according to dietpower so it would be great if it works.

Any thoughts anyone??

Amber
Old 08-11-2005, 03:43 PM   #2  

My mother used to do this all the time. She always had it on hand because that's what she and my father used to put in their coffee. So if she wanted some "whipped cream" and didn't want to go buy heavy cream ... voila.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:20 PM   #3  

I had no idea you could whip milk. I gotta try this!
Old 08-11-2005, 04:30 PM   #4  

Keep in mind it's EVAPORATED milk, the kind that comes in cans. I've never tried whipping regular milk.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #5  

Default I've made this before..

Yes it does look neat, but the whipped part didn't seem to last very long. It deflated quicker than regular whipped cream did and the taste? Just like fluffy milk.. not the dense taste of whipping cream. I personally didn't find it to my liking, but maybe you'll like it. it is worth a try.. that's for sure.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:03 PM   #6  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

I have had this given to me with no warning - GROSS!!! Honey and Evap = a horribly sweet cream, more like condensed milk!

These days I use low fat creme fraiche/soured cream for all my cream needs, sweet or savoury. Add in something to flavour it (e.g. lemon/lime juice, paprika or ground black pepper) and it tastes different every time!
Old 08-14-2005, 01:56 AM   #7  
jenny2781

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef
I have had this given to me with no warning - GROSS!!! Honey and Evap = a horribly sweet cream, more like condensed milk!

These days I use low fat creme fraiche/soured cream for all my cream needs, sweet or savoury. Add in something to flavour it (e.g. lemon/lime juice, paprika or ground black pepper) and it tastes different every time!
I like organic fat free milk.air-rate it .put organic vanilla and stevia for sweetner. It's like a milk shake .low cal.GOOOOOD...............
Closed Thread