Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-09-2005, 09:08 PM   #1  

Wink Joining Curves

Jioning Curves want to know anybody else is doing or have tried and if any luck gonna try it till new years and see so thats 5 months
Ice Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:39 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I joined May 4 and have been doing it all through my pregnancy. I needed something that would keep me exercising but not be too taxing. The 30 minute workout is just right, and I can make it as easy or intense as I choose. Knowing that I'm paying, and that I have to leave the house to do it, rather than sit at home planning to take a walk or do a video, gets me going. It gives you time to talk with the other gals...a more relaxing exercise atmosphere. But you'll get out of it what you put into it. If you don't work the machines fast enough, you won't fatique your muscles as much and it won't do as much good.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/196/139

Height: 5'7"

Default 2 years of Curves...

And its BORING, BORING, BORING!!!!

But if you want a less intense workout and plan on mixing it up with other exercise, it will probably work for you short term.
Yael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:18 PM   #4  

I don't do it, I joined the YMCA....but I've heard nothing but great things about it from the people that I know that have signed up!!
AngelKisssezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:45 AM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael
2 years of Curves...
And its BORING, BORING, BORING!!!!
I can see I'm gonna have to have a talk with you woman. You finding your way around this place yet?

If you lived close enough, I'd get ya to go to Curves with me and show you how to get the intensity out of it. Heck, they have to jump onto me because while my heart rate is supposed to be 18 - 21, I don't tell them that I'm usually running around 22 - 24 beats.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:52 AM   #6  

I have been going to curves since April 22. I also do cardio on the days I don't go to curves and I have lost 43 pounds. I have muscles that are all due to curves. I say give it a chance but like almostheaven says really work the machines and please rest on the boards. I see so many ladies working really hard on the boards when they are there only to keep your heart rate up. If you use curves the way it is supposed to be used you will see results if you don't then you won't.

Good Luck with whatever you do.
momX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:07 PM   #7  

I'm moving next week down to North Carolina, and noticed that there is a Curves about 10 minutes away from my house.. I've heard great things about Curves and after reading.. I think I'll give it a shot.. But why is it boring...? Do they offer anything else besides the 30 minute workout, like aerobics ? Is it the same workout everytime? Can you pay monthly or do you have to pay for a year "membership"... I checked out the curves site, but they don't give you much information there... Thanks for any info!

Momx3 - Wow, your loss is inspiring!

P.S. What are "the boards"?
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #8  
Melanie

I don't think it's boring, I mean, a workout is a workout! Exercise in general isn't the funnest, but when I went to Curves it was nice because you change stations every 30 seconds and it only takes 30 minutes to do. It's convenient and you do get results. Whatever works!
Meldiggety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:05 PM   #9  

I hated Curves. Thought it was boring boring boring...but I know other people who love it..so its good to find out how you feel about it.
slimcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:30 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

I too thought it was boring. No, Schatzi, they offer only the 30 minute circuit of machines. You do 30 seconds on a machine, then 30 seconds on a board doing low-impact stuff, enough to keep your heart rate up, then move to the next machine. They play music with a beep to clue you to move and every so many 30 seconds they cue a heart rate check. Here's what I didn't like about it:

1. No variety. Same machines, same routine every time.
2. To increase the intensity of the machines you have to move them faster (they're hydrualic). It gets harder to go fast enough and keep good form. If you're not working your muscles to fatigue then you stop building muscle. I saw lots of sloppy form which can lead at worst to injury and certainly to not targeting the muscle you're supposed to be working. On the reverse side, some women never even attempt to work harder, and basically they're wasting their time and money. If they're just there for the socialization, fine, but they're kidding themselves if they think they're exercising.
3. The Curves in my town is run by teen-agers! They get so busy talking to their friends (there and on the phone) that they don't pay attention to the women working out. They play the same music over and over (though they have a number of CDs to choose from) and they act irritated if someone has a question or asks to have the music changed. Plus when I was going it wasn't clean. They've moved to a new building and that part may have changed.

Didn't mean to write a book here. Obviously I didn't enjoy my Curves experience even more than I thought I didn't! I now belong to a "regular" gym and enjoy working out with free weights and doing a variety of exercises and a choice of cardio.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:36 PM   #11  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by momX3
I see so many ladies working really hard on the boards when they are there only to keep your heart rate up.
Don't talk about me like that. I'm so used to cardio, I do work the machines extra hard, but I feel if my heart rate isn't above their suggested range, I'm not doing enough, so I jog on the recovery stations. I get my rate up 2 or 3 beats past where it's supposed to be...I just don't tell em. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzi
Do they offer anything else besides the 30 minute workout, like aerobics ? Is it the same workout everytime? Can you pay monthly or do you have to pay for a year "membership"...
You always do the same machines, with a recovery station between each, where you can either dance, relax, jog, walk, whatever. What keeps it fun for many is just the camaraderie you get being in the circle with all the other ladies.

Membership is $150 to join, but they usually have that going for half price, especially if you see an ad on it locally. Then it's $29 every month. You can put your membership on hold and not incur any charges if something comes up that you can't utilize it for a short period...ie: medical reasons, out of town, whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat
On the reverse side, some women never even attempt to work harder, and basically they're wasting their time and money. If they're just there for the socialization, fine, but they're kidding themselves if they think they're exercising.
This is what I was talking about somewhere in another thread about those not sweating. So many just get to talking and don't pay attention to the fact that they're just not working hard. Or, they just never bother working hard. They seem sleepy and bored and don't put anything into it. And if you don't put anything in, you're not likely to get anything out of it.

Quote:
The Curves in my town is run by teen-agers! They get so busy talking to their friends (there and on the phone) that they don't pay attention to the women working out. They play the same music over and over (though they have a number of CDs to choose from) and they act irritated if someone has a question or asks to have the music changed. Plus when I was going it wasn't clean.
I would suggest that anyone facing such problems transfer their membership to another location. They're all over the place, so it's likely you have more than 1 location near you. I had a problem with the one I did attend and so transferred my membership. The ladies there are very attentive to be sure you're doing the workouts correctly. The owner doesn't like the equipment being used incorrectly and keeps on them about it. Remember they're are individual franchises and each owner may have different rules or some may be lax. Of the 3 I've been to, all of them also use CD changers, so the music cycles between many CDs. They've been very attentive to the members and requests, like turning up the air, changing CDs, etc. It's even been so extremely hot here that air doesn't always cut it, so they've taken to turning off one bank of lights, keeping it a bit dimmer inside but cutting down on the heat given off.

Personally, I like it. However, it wouldn't be my first choice. Being pregnant right now however, it's the better choice. I wanted something that would motivate me to go exercise. I prefer a more intense and longer workout, but I'm simply not capable of doing more intense and longer at this point. So it's perfect for the moment. When I'm back to my regular exercise, I'd likely prefer a gym setting. My problem with gyms however is that I focus too much on cardio and not much on strength, so I may even need a combination. LOL Now if only my wallet would handle it.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #12  

Thankyou Ladies! I now have a better feel for what Curves has to offer. We will have a community gym that costs 10 a month, I understand that they are going to add some aerobic classes ..so maybe I will combine the two..
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:31 PM   #13  
Working My Way Back Down

Almostheaven, I live in Alaska, so the next 2 nearest Curves are 11 and 30 miles away! But I know in other places there are more closer together. I agree with what you say and it can be good exercise, especially for those just starting out (or needing something while pg ). Like I said I had problems with the one in my town, which didn't improve much even after I talked to the owner, and so when my membership year was up, I moved on. We're all different, and I applaud everyone who's out there doing something, anything, for exercise.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:26 PM   #14  

I loved Curves - if you find it boring, make a friend (or friends) and laugh the time/exercises away. That made it SOOOO Much fun!

Louella
nhwahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:25 PM   #15  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Almostheaven, I live in Alaska
Why on earth would anyone wanna live there? And I thought NH was bad enough.