Old 08-09-2005, 03:43 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default I just smoked some tomatoes

I read that you can smoke tomatoes, so I just used my Cameron stovetop smoker and used hickory chips to smoke tomatoes and red peppers. The flavor was really very good, not overpowering. I diced them up and added them to some grilled onions and the smoked peppers, and a little fresh fajita seasoning, then rolled them up in a tortilla. It was so much better than I expected it to be. I might smoke more to put in some chili.

Has anyone else ever used smoked tomatoes in a dish? How about any other vegetables? This would be an interesting way to enjoy more vegetables, and hopefully eat more of them
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:25 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Sorry, I just had to say that my first reaction to the thread title was "What kind of high do you get smoking vegetables?"

Sounds interesting though. I really like smoked turkey/chicken/pork so why not?
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:39 PM   #3  

Talking Snort

Um.. that was my first impression too.. "What in the world is Suzanne trying now?"

How much is a stovetop smoker and what else can you smoke with it? Is it difficult? I bet smoked eggplant and zucchini would be gooooood!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:42 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

Wow, I never heard of smoked tomatoes! I like them every other way, so I suspect I'd like these too. Did you use fresh ones or dried? And if fresh, did they dry out? Inquiring minds, you know.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:52 AM   #5  
it's always something

I wonder if they are hallucinogenic!

I've had a stovetop smoker for a few years and have used it mainly to smoke chicken breasts. They really take on the deep, smoke flavor and are fully cooked in 20 to 25 minutes. I rarely eat chicken anymore, though, and had packed away my smoker until this weekend. I stumbled across a cookbook I'd thought I'd lost, which was written just for the stovetop smoker. It discussed smoking various vegetables, including the tomatoes, so that's why I decided to give it a try. They even suggest smoking portabello mushrooms for sandwiches!

The tomatoes were smoked quickly and did not dry out. I used the cluster type tomatoes and cut them in half, then put them in the smoker cut side up. The flavor was rather mild and just the right depth for my fajitas. I also smoked a red pepper while I was at it. It didn't get soft, so I still sliced it and cooked it with the onions before serving.

The smoker usually costs around $40, depending on where you get it. Amazon carries it. The website for the company is http://www.cameronssmoker.com/smokers.html and they have a little video that shows how to use it. You can smoke chicken, salmon, ribs, or just about anything. I tried smoking some tilapia once, but didn't like it. I used alder wood chips, which may or may not have been the best choice. I love fish grilled on a charcoal grill, then served with fresh salsa, but didn't get the same flavor with this.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:57 AM   #6  
Snowberry: Junior Member

S/C/G: 193/188/140

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Can the smokers be used on electric stoves?
fdevine is offline   Reply With Quote