South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 11:42 PM   #1  

Default How do you cook zucchini?

Or is it zuchinni?

I am trying to up my veggie intake...I'm not that much of a veggie gal so it's hard. But I DO like zucchini! Tonight I sauteed it in the skillet w/ a dash of olive oil and some diced tomatos...seasoned just w/ a dash of salt and pepper and it was very good!

But I want more ideas!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/140

Height: 5'4

theres a recipe under Phase 1 Snacks for Zucchini Puffs, i havent tried it yet (planned on making them tomorrow) but it sounds really good.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:09 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I love zucchini !! I even eat it raw with a dip, it's good in italian tomato recipes too...You can make a zucchini lazagna by layering it with the noodles and the sauce...
Old 08-09-2005, 12:27 AM   #4  
it's always something

Zucchini has such a mild flavor that it works well in other foods. You can dice it small and mix it in with salsa (preferable a fresh, homemade recipe) and it will absorb the flavors. Serve it over grilled fish, or in a Mexican salad.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:36 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

I just googled ''zucchini recipes'' and got lots of sites... they all look yummy!!

http://www.basic-recipes.com/veget/zucchini.htm
http://www.ljcfyi.com/ljcsProjects/c...i_recipes.html
http://www.dianaskitchen.com/page/veggies/zuccass.htm
http://www.thatsmyhome.com/farmers/zucchini-recipes.htm

And there were a LOT more!!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:59 AM   #6  

I like to make it similar to you but add diced onion and at the end I sometimes put a little low fat cheese on top if I have the calories left, or if I am a little short on my protein!!
Old 08-09-2005, 02:13 AM   #7  
Who needs sleep?

I don't like summer squash (zukes, crooknecks, pattypan, etc), but DH and DS love it. This is how I usually cook zukes (or other summer squash):

4-8 little zucchini (3-5" long), sliced into thick slices (about 1/2-3/4")
olive oil
1/2 tsp granulated garlic or 1-2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
salt & pepper to taste

In a small skillet, heat about 1/4" water to boiling over high heat. Add sliced zucchini and steam, covered, until crisp-tender (about 4-5 minutes). Drain. Add enough olive oil to pan to just cover bottom. Add garlic, salt, and pepper and saute over medium-high heat until golden and tender. Serve right away.

Serves 2 generously.

I often use a combination of butter and olive oil, but just olive oil tastes fine and is better for Phase 1. Hope you enjoy!
Old 08-09-2005, 06:29 AM   #8  

Zucchini is delicious grilled on the bbq (or a George Foreman). I just put a little pepper on it. It has almost a nutty taste. Some people hollow out the middle and stuff it before grilling. It's also good lightly steamed. I used to dislike it until I tried it grilled, now I like it cooked any way.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:04 AM   #9  
I vant to draw your blood

Adding to the grilled zucchini recipe here:

Cut your zukes on the diagonal, fairly thick, about 3/8", lay flat on a cookie sheet and spray with a little olive oil, then season with some fresh cracked pepper and some sea salt. Let it sit for a minute or two, then turn over and sprayjust a wee bit more olive oil on it.

Grill til it's as done as you like ( I prefer al dente) and serve with ranch dressing as a dip. YUM-O!! as Rachel Ray would say!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:10 AM   #10  

There is a Summer Squash casserole posted in the recipe forum that is wonderful. I usually mix zucchini with yellow summer squash when I make it.

I also like to stir fry zucchini (chopped large) with mushrooms and onions. Sometimes I add Rotel (tomatoes with chilis) and I like to add Italian seasoning (or basil, oregano, marjaram etc).

Sometimes I cut them up smaller and then cook them to where they are almost done and then add Eggbeaters and have them for breakfast. In phase 2 you can roll it up in a WW tortilla.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:00 AM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I'm in love with the Zucchini Patties I posted in the Phase 2 Side Dishes. I think I originally got the recipe off www.allrecipes.com and modified it to SBD. I make sure that I spread them really thin in the pan so they get really crispy. I serve them with sour cream. Zucchini is also great on skewers with meat and other veggies or in a tomato sauce with onions and garlic. Yum!

AllRecipes.com has a ton of zucchini recipes right now, but I went through them yesterday and I can say that about 90-95% are not SBD friendly or would be difficult to make SBD friendly. I did pull a ton that would be okay and I'd be glad to e-mail them to you if you PM me with your e-mail. Don't post it in the thread or it could be picked up by spambots, okay?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:15 AM   #12  

Default My Favorite

I make it 2 ways:

1) Saute with a bit of olive oil, italian seasoning with onions. You could add other veggies as well.

2) Roasted. Bake on 450 for about 30 minutes. I toss with a bit of olive oil, italian seasoning and add mushrooms, onion, green bell pepper and okra. You could put any veggies you wanted in.

YUMMY YUMMY.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:42 AM   #13  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

OK, if I am absolutely craving potato chips, I cut up a zucchini into thin round pieces (not paper thin but not thicker than 1/4 inch) and use a serving or two of olive oil and "fry" them.

I wait until they get brown and semi-crispy (they have too much water in them so they won't get totally potato-chippy) then drain on a paper towel and add salt and pepper and eat as a snack.

I also do this to sweet potatoes!
Old 08-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #14  

Thanks ladies for all the tips. I'm hungry now.

I think I'm going to have to buy some more zucchini!!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:17 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 251/251/150

Height: 5'5"

Mmmmmm they all sound yummy!!! My fav is grilled tho..along with red onions and bellpeppers.....it really does bring out a different flavor
Closed Thread