Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-06-2005, 08:07 PM   #1  

Smile Dieting with Diabetes #5

hi everyone. i have been gone a long time. hope everyone is doing well.
i fell off the wagon but i have resolved to climb back on and i amgoing to need some support. how are you rosey and rosetta? nice to meet everyone else. i am having trouble with my cholesterol? cannot tolerate statins? any help out there? pat
paperdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:21 PM   #2  
No more tears!

Hello everybody,

I'm doing good, but having trouble with my sodium. im trying to get and keep it low but its hard. wat can i do?
BBWonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 12:19 AM   #3  

Default Well Can't sleep

I have had a real hard time sleeping latley. My sugar has been high and I am having a hard time keeping it down. Lots of stress latley. Maybe things will settle down. I hope. Any suggestions?
nosugarmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:54 AM   #4  

nosugar stress is a big factor in not sleeping also for you bs. try to block out stress at bedtime, don't go to bed hungry try some milk at bedtime a slice of toast also helps. sometimes a white noise helps.

bb i love salt. guess you have to read labels and throw the salt shaker.but we need a certain amount of sodium for our health.

so far today i have been good, salad planned for lunch.but the kids are coming for supper and don't know what to make.?
pat
paperdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:32 PM   #5  

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I will try it tonight. I am going to my moms for supper tonight we are having hamburgers and grilled zuccini. It is really good and I can eat as much as I want. My husbands birthday is tommorow. I have to back a cake for him. Maybe I will make a sugar free one he will never know. LOL. I feel pretty good today and my sugar was 108 this morning. Better than yesterday. See ya'all later.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:38 PM   #6  

Cool

Hi Pat - welcome back. Sorry you can't tolerate the statins. I take Zocor and that's doing a good job for me. I guess you'll have to do it with diet and exercise. (which is what we all should be doing anywy.)
BB - the best thing is to read the labels, cook as much from scratch as you can. Use spices (like lemon pepper) to season your food. I've noticed I've been eating more sodium than I should lately.
Well, that will soon stop. I'm going on a medical fast, starting Wednesday. I've been so sedentary the last few years because of orthopedic problems and now that they are somewhat resolved, I've gotten too fat to walk. So I need to lose at least 40 lbs as quickly possible so I can start exercising. I just signed up last week so have only had a few days to get in my last meals. lol. Actually haven't done too badly.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:32 PM   #7  

Post Answers

What is a medical fast? I have heard of this twice now and I do not know what ya'all are talking about. Could ya let me know. Thanks. i have been at home now for a week I kinda like it. But I do get bored sometimes. I have been reading the new Harry Potter book. I am up to chapter 15. My sugar is still wacky it bottomed out yeaterday and boy it makes me really tired when it does that. I just want to sleep. I am going to bed now at a decent time so I am getting some sleep at night. Gotta go have to fix supper for the masses. LOL catch ya'all later. Me
Old 08-10-2005, 01:47 PM   #8  

Hi everyone.. well things have settled down around here finally..im trying to get back to my lowcarb lofat diet..after eating whatever i wanted for several months now its time to get real and quit denying im a diebetic..do any of you ever do that??after a particulary high fat content foods yesterday i spent a good share of middle of the nite in the bathroom not fun ..but a good wake up for me.. my dd is coming over and we are cooking dinner for our neighbors.. they are in poor health and have a house full of company so im helping out.. i dont plan to eat what im fixing tho..its pretty and sunny here today but nippy out.. i can feel fall not far off..hope you are doing something you love for yourselves today (((((((((hugs))))))))) rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:25 PM   #9  

Cool

Hi, all. Rosey, glad to see you back on track.
Nosugar, a medical fast is a very lo-cal diet made up solely of food supplements (like powdered Slim Fast) and supervised by a doctor. It involves weekly weighins and medical checkups plus behavioral classes. It's expensive but I reached a point where I needed desparate measures. I start it today. The doctor took me off two of my diabetes medications and I'm a little nervous about that since I've been in good control. Have you discussed your fluctuating blood sugars with your doctor? Maybe you need more medication.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:15 PM   #10  
Miss "Ifelloffthewagon"

Location: Wisconsin, land o' da cheese....sigh... and I love cheese...but its off the menu for now...

Default Where do I start??

I have been gone for about 2 years..... I am back again and I need help!
Holy Cow!
I have gained a few more pounds while gone and I think I am finally out of denial that I have Diabetes.....
Its time to deal with it I guess.
I've had a "vision" if you will, of what I may become in the next 4 years or so if I don't do something! I'll be 50 then, probably even heavier...not able to walk, and it scares me! I have a 5 year old and I want to see her grow up.
I quit smoking,a really major thing to do, I know, so whats wrong with me! Why can't I lose weight? I thought quitting smoking would be the hardest thing I would ever do, but its not. I have gained and lost the same 10 lbs for the last 2 years, I am getting no where fast. Anyone have any ideas on how to get myself going again?
I am so ready to try again.
LinInWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:29 PM   #11  

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosettastone
Hi, all. Rosey, glad to see you back on track.
Nosugar, a medical fast is a very lo-cal diet made up solely of food supplements (like powdered Slim Fast) and supervised by a doctor. It involves weekly weighins and medical checkups plus behavioral classes. It's expensive but I reached a point where I needed desparate measures. I start it today. The doctor took me off two of my diabetes medications and I'm a little nervous about that since I've been in good control. Have you discussed your fluctuating blood sugars with your doctor? Maybe you need more medication.

Thank you for letting me know what it is. I go back to the doctor on friday. Will discuss it then. Will let ya'all know what happens. k.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:33 AM   #12  

Default Today

Well today, I did some thing bad, I ate toaster strudell and boy did it hike my sugar. All the way to 181. I won't do that again. I have been so depressed latley. I feel like I can not do anything right. Maybe this depression will get better soon. I sure hope so cause I gotta quit eating like this Well I better go now catch ya'all later k.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:43 AM   #13  
Pending Email Confirmation

I will find out one way or another in just over 3 weeks if I am a diabetic or not! On a routine blood test it came back after fasting for 12 hours my blood sugar was on the high side, and I had to take a test again, the second came back high also so I now have to have a GTT to confirm it. I have been waiting 3 months now and the appointment is booked in for end of August at the hospital for the GTT.

I have changed my eating habits a lot in the hope it might help but have been testing my own BS in the morning and they are still higher than they should be.... so I fear the worse!

My mum is a type 1 diabetic so I pretty loaded with information about it.... but am still worried for myself....
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:28 PM   #14  

Default doctor today

well i went to the doctor today He put me on Avandamet hope it works
Old 08-15-2005, 04:36 PM   #15  

Hi everyone..i too had a fasting blood sugar early this am.. i was told i was suposed to have this 6 weeks after my chkup which was in may.. and didnt know about it till i tried to get refills on rx,s..and as usual they had trouble with getting blood so im all poked and black and blue ouch by the time i was done i was weak and shaky so dd brought me home so i could eat something..still dont feel up to par yet..i am making better choices lately..and things have calmed alot and have more time to focus on myself..so how are all of you doing.. rosetta i think about you and hope that the medifast is going ok for you..nosugar hope your new meds are working.. do you have any hobbies tha would help with being depressed..my problem is i have to many and the housework well theres always tomorrow mazarin good luck on your tests too..welc0ome back everypne else.. well im rambling so will sign off for today..the lab people told me to drink water till i sloshed so drink up everyone (((((((hugs)))))))) rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote