Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-08-2005, 02:58 AM   #1  

Default 8-14 August

Hello everyone,

I made a horrible discovery which was also an eye-opener last weekend.
Although I kept eating fairly clean these past few months + did my weights and cardio, I have found out that I have actually put on 10 kilo's and am now 82.5 kilo's (=181 pounds).
I am glad I went to see my GP and am going to do all the tests I need to. Although I have blow up almost 20 pounds, I can still wear the same clothes as before (albeit a bit tighter). This is possibly due to extra muscle tissue, but I still feel really bad about it.
Upsides:
I KNOW now and I can work on this and AM training + there are a lot worse things that can happen to people, I will get out of it.
But still: Damn, damn damn!
I feel awful.

Lieke
Greekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:29 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Poor Greekgirl! Throw the scales out! I'm thinking about doing it... Only thinking about it mind

Did some lacrosse practice in the park last night, to say I haven't played in 8 years, I was surprisingly good! Just need to practise my throws a little bit more, but the catching side of things seems to be ok!

Back to the weights again tonight. Hooohah!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:53 AM   #3  
Mel

Actually, I think there's a good arguement for keeping the scales. It's way too easy to not really know what is happening if you only go by one form of measurement (the pants-o-meter, in your case, Lieke). I weigh myself compulsively daily, which is too much, but somewhere between never and daily there should be a happy medium. Just don't let daily fluctuations drive you crazy.

Lieke, sorry to hear about your surprise. Now you know what is happened, and you can change it. Nutrition, cardio....if your size is the same it sounds like the weights part is working

2F- I love lacrosse! I don't play, but used to coach and referee. My dd played all through school and university and played in England in 2001 in the International Women's Lacrosse Cup for Team Canada. We lost to England for the Bronze. It's a great game.

Early clients, have to run. Then chest and cardio for me today.

My calfs are sore from climbing up and down a ladder a thousand times this weekend de-installing and re-installing exterior shutters! I'm always surprised when I get sore from "work".

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:43 AM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I did my whole body workout again last night. Just took it easy, dropped a couple of the "hard" weights down by a few lbs. I have one butt cheek that's stiff, just one! I think it's from riding my motorbike funny rather than from weights!

Kickboxing tonight! YAY! I'm being extra good but not seeing results yet! I want to see my abs! And the scales go down a bit!

Patience my pretty... Patience...
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:12 AM   #5  

Gosh darn, lost the post. Starting over.

This week has been pretty good - clean eats as far as food choices, not so clean as far as quantity. PMS is rampant this month - I have the pimple, the grouchies and the cramps, not to mention the insatiable appetite. Of course, with nothing but "good, whole" foods in the house, not much damage. Maybe 1800 calories yesterday. Could have easily been 2800

Workouts have been good. I am trying to lay of the running and give my body a rest. Did elliptical and weights yesterday (oh, and a much needed massage, too), walking and off to a yoga class today, planning on stationary bike and weights tomorrow and ellipitical and yoga Thurs. My regular (private) yoga insteructor has been on vacation the past couple of weeks, so I went to a local yoga studio and did a "drop in" on Sunday. It is a much gentler session than what I have been doing, and my body really appreciated it. This is not a comment on either instructor. I think it is the difference between vinyasa and hatha yoga. There is a place for both for me, and I think I am going to start doing each at least once a week. It will also give me a fall-bakc plan when my instructor is out of town. LKTS - I am still working on fitting in a NIA class - that instructor is out of town this week.
boy, DC is almost like Paris with people getting out of town.

Just to be onery, Thurs night DH and I are heading downtown for our anniversary - seeing Kings of Leon Thurs night, staying in a hotel, Spy Museum and fancy restaurant Fri night. Hotel offers passes to the DC Y (which is supposed to be pretty rad) as well as a yoga channel in the room (can you tell who picked the hotel?) and a small on-site gym. Of course, I may decide dropping those lovely, fluffy towels on the floor (and NOT picking them up) and lifting the phone to call room service may be enough of a workout for me

Have a great day
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:35 AM   #6  

Sorry about the scales! I just did a 1 week "no peek" at the scale thing to see how I fared trusting my instincts. When I did check, it was dressed, after eating and with TOM in the house so I'd have some reasons if needed. I was surprised. I think it's helped me to be less obsessive about checking but I still need to know a bit.

I'm learning to squat! I had dh set me up on the Smith machine and I'm slowly upping the load. I decided to start fairly light so I could concentrate on form. I'd been using a FreeMotion squat machine but didn't feel like it really did anything even though I was up to 240# on it. So 30# on the Smith seems very light (plus the bar -- right?) but I really feel the work and what's the point if you don't feel it. I'm also working on the pull up assist machine towards doing a pull up (or chin up?) without the assist. Currently I'm doing 3x10-12 reps with a little more than 1/2 my body weight being pulled by ME. It's a good feeling to have some little goals.

Have a great week! Fit, lean & strong!!!
Brenda
mom2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:10 AM   #7  

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the support!

I guess that in my case the pants-o-meter doesn't work, Mel. I'm back to strict eating + I had my blood samples taken this morning after 16 hours fasting (that was hard, no drink and no food!). The results will be there tomorrow night, hope I'll have news by then.
That said, I am not going to get myself down and just get on with it, after work it's out for a coffee and then shovelling in the garden and bi-and triceps.

Ellen, I hope you have lot's of fun!

Feeling slightly better

Lieke

look down, still have to change the damn scale below, can't seem to get to it.
Greekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 12:45 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

Hello LWL, I haven't been posting here so much because I've been bad (but I've still been lurking). I've been eating nachos, chicken fingers & spinach dip. I also missed 3 days at the gym this week, compared to my usual 1 day off.

Been spending FAR too much time with the ex - who, BTW, is still an ex, quote: "we're keeping each other company," end quote - and I have now realized one of the reasons I gained weight in the first place. He makes himself a mint choc chip milkshake and starts eating it, talking about how wonderful it is.
Him: "Do you want some?"
Me: "No"
Him: "It's really good"
Me: "No I really don't want any"
Him: (Holding spoon 1.5" from my mouth) "Are you sure?"
Me: "Yes, I promise I don't want any."
Him: "Come on, just try it"
Me: "Well...OK"
Him: "Have some more"
Me: "YOU ARE THE DEVIL, NO WONDER I GAINED SO MUCH WEIGHT!!!!!!"
Him: "Sorry, I just feel guilty eating as much as I do without you enjoying it with me."
We had the same conversation verbatim about cheese toast (which I actually did want) 2 days later.

Anyhooooo, yesterday was good, about 1500 calories which is about what I am aiming for these days. AND I had a great workout last night including trying some new things on the bosu ball (thanks for the prompting Ilene).

Lieke - sorry about the scale but good for you just going back to plugging along.

I have to agree with Mel on this one. I weigh myself at least once a day. I think another reason I gained weight is because I was in denial about how much I had really gained (I probably didn't weigh myself for about 2 years). I thought it was 10-15#'s. Come to find out it was actually more like 25-30. Perhaps if I had seen the scale creeping upward it wouldn't have motivated me as much as I think because I know the shock of a # I had never seen on a scale before kept me going back to the gym. "Different strokes" but for me, weighing myself daily keeps me on a sort of constant diagnostic so that I can adjust accordingly before things get out of hand and I get overwhelmed. And no, I don't freak out about 1-2#'s as long as they go away (and hopefully take a friend) within a few days. {OK, I'm going to admit that if I see a really happy number on the scale I don't weigh myself for a couple of days because I can tap the scale every time I'm in the kitchen and it shows me my last weight. Funny the things we do to fool ourselves into happiness }

Ellen - sounds like a great weekend, enjoy yourself

Brenda - I'm working on the chin up thing too. I managed to do 4 last night with 50#'s of assist. I can't wait to do one all by myself.

OK, where's Tiki been? I'm calling her out. Pick yourself up girl!
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:20 PM   #9  

Hi,

I've been missing in action - just completed my 100 km mountain bike in two days - did not skip a bit, however, I was last to get to the ferry! Never mind, last year I skipped about 2/3 on the second day and still was last to reach a ferry , so this one was a great accomplishment for me and my husband. We had a lot of laugh, I landed once in the great mud, hubby flew off the brigde (thanks God for helmets and his physical shape) and once I managed NOT to fly off the cliff - I am sure it is only because of my weight training that I could keep my center of gravity at the point so that my bike was not pulling me down... It was a great experience and I am now off to the next one - triathlon this weekend!

I took two days of rest and stepped on the scale Gosh, I gained about 4 kilograms ! That is since last week! How can it possibly be! So i thought - enough, after triathlon I am getting back to "normal" exercise routine as well as "good" eating. Seems like protein shakes and bars and lots of exercise do not cancel each other or what? Anyways, Greek Girl - I am with you here, have a plan in action and promise myself to keep track of what I eat. Hope it works (I never was good about keeping track - so hopefully it will work this time ).

Also, read FIRM book - I was thinking about buying one of their videos but decided to wait and read their book. Does somebody actually enjoy their video and DVD workouts here? Book seemed really stressing out that they were first everywhere, probably they were probably they were not, I did not care who is the first, what I care about is what works? Any suggestions?

Will keep you posted about triathlon - my first one. I wish those 4 kg would stay home so that I am not dragging them thru all the swims, biking and running

Sandy.

Last edited by Sashenka; 08-09-2005 at 01:22 PM.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:36 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Good morning LWL! I am back from vacation/conference and while not "raring to go," I'm at least ready for life back in its rut, er, routine. Since we were on vacation on a 38' boat, I did very little exercise (can I count casting a fishing pole? ) It was a wonderful trip though - fresh seafood every day - and now DH and I talk about whether we should consider it for retirement. Probably not, but it's fun to speculate.

The conference I went to afterwards was good too. Always good to look at the broader world of libraries rather than being so focused on my own little patch. Met some old friends and made some new ones. Also bought two new pairs of shoes - my downfall.

Thanks for the welcome home (on another thread) Ellen!

I went back to the gym last night and did a good upper body workout. My arms are nicely sore today. I notice too that the gym now has 3 sizes of stability balls, so I may look at some of the exercises and see if I can incorporate them. I've only ever done crunches on a ball.

Sandy, I'm betting that those 4kg are just water - they'll be gone in a couple days. Great job on the bike ride, btw, and good luck with your triathalon!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 02:00 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Default "Not on time" rant

I read last week's thread with interest, especially the part about people's non-attention to being on time. I encountered this on our vacation. First time DH and I were at the small boat harbor, with our luggage, needing to go to where I was staying for the conference. We called a cab. 15 minutes they said. After 30 minutes I called again. 5 minutes. At 45 minutes we started walking (not far, but a pain with bags). After about 5 minutes a different cab company stopped. The original guy had finally called this one (a woman) and asked her to get us. We immediately recognized that we needed to book a cab for DH to get to the airport later in the day. We did, and she came on time. So I'm at my conference telling someone about this. They tell me there is an airport shuttle on which I can book a reservation. I immediately call and do this and spend the rest of the conference not worrying about getting to the airport. The time comes and I'm out in front of the conference center where I've arranged to get picked up. Time comes, and passes. No shuttle. I call and get a recording. I figure they're just on the other line and leave a message, with my cell phone number. I wait some more. When I call again and still get the recording, I call a cab (scary thought after our previous experience). While I wait I keeping calling the shuttle - and I see it out on the street - driving right by!! I finally get a person there and tell her this. "What can I do?" she says. "Nothing. I'm really annoyed. My cab is here, thank goodness." And it was. I got to the airport in time. When we arrived there (it's a really small, one gate airport) I was approached by the shuttle driver. He asked if I was the person he didn't get, etc. He paid for my cab, and told me that the gal who took the reservation had not put it on the schedule!!! Not a happy experience! My DH made up for it by being at the gate (not in baggage) to pick me up from the flight that arrived early. He's often been very late in the past and I was so not in the mood for that to happen.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:02 PM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

Another great workout tonight and then circuit training doggy style. For those not familiar with the process: it involves running in circles around the front yard like a crazy fool with the dog followed by periods of waiting to see if that particular circle made said puppy have to pee. Results: decidedly mixed
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #13  

Talking

Hello ladies, I am back (again) after another move and a job change!!!

I have been eating clean and slowly working back into my exercise. I hope to be re-energerized by posting here and rejoining my old group on 3fc!!!

I have been in and out the past few years due to near fatal car accident in 2003, trying to finish law school after the accident (in 2003), taking bar exams after sustaining head injury (I've taken and passed TX in 2003 and NY in 2004), relocations (two) and new jobs (two) and a new grandson!!! (my first!)

....I have always loved this group (I've been here since the beginning) and I wanted to come back and be ACCOUNTABLE!!!! It always works when I post here every day!!!!

I have an "event" the middle of October and right now it is my first goal....

So hello hello!!! I will check in every day!
Susanje
susanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #14  
Mel

I'd probably pee first!

I need a food intervention

TIKI- where are you! It can't be any worse that what we've all done one time or another

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:20 PM   #15  

Just gonna jump in and say hi real quick.... I've been lurking for a few weeks and really like the atmosphere and attitudes that you ladies have. Quick rundown - I've been lifting going on three years. I met my goals about two years ago and have been working at maintaining since then. It's a daily challenge, and I'm glad to have found an understanding and encouraging group to participate.

So, I'll be around. Tomorrow is a lifting day, so I'll be sure to report back! Oh, and thanks, Ilene and Brenda, for such a warm welcome to my intro.
Zinnia is offline   Reply With Quote