Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-07-2005, 12:39 AM   #1  

Default Running and belly ache??

HI ladies,

This has probably been answered before but I can't find it. I've been trying to start jogging short intervals. I've been exercising for around 6 months continually now and can go an hour and a half doing aerobics or riding the bike with no problems. So now I'm trying to start to jog by running about 1/8 a mile then walk 1/8 and so on. After just one or two running parts my stomach gets all upset and cramps up. I sometimes feel like I'm going to be sick. It has happened both times I've tried. Any thoughts?? Is that just normal because I'm not used to it? I'm jogging pretty slowly in my opinion. It's not as hot out right now and it was in the evenings. I ate dinner at least an hour if not 2 before. It's making me mad because my legs aren't tired and I'm not too awfully out of breath but I have to stop.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Amber
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Well I dunno, never heard of that, until recently. If I try to run, my belly cramps too. Babies don't like being bounced around on a bladder. LOL

I'd suggest you try fast walking and build your speed up to a run and see if you still experience it. If a fast walk doesn't hurt, try to go even faster. Eventually, work up to just a bare trot/jog. If those aren't hurting, it may be that you just needed to get into it more gradually. If they do start to hurt, I'd suggest seeing your doctor.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:29 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Depending on what you are eating prior to running, 2 hrs may not be enough time to digest. For whatever reasons, running can make many people's digestive systems very sensitive, although some lucky people don't seem to have any issues. I always try to limit my protein and fat intake before running since they take longer to digest and can make me sick, cramping, nausea, gas, even diarrhea. Of course I liked to run first thing in the morning so that usually wasn't a problem for me, I'd just eat afterward. Some foods make me sicker than others, so you might want to experiment with that.

The other thing you might try is to shorten your run intervals or do fewer of them, until you build up a little more. Aerobics serves as a good base, but won't necessarily translate directly to running fitness. When I started running I could easily do 60 minutes of step aerobics followed by some stength training, but when I got out to run, I could barely do 30 seconds at a time before I had to walk. I did run/walk intervals for about 30 minutes, increasing my running time until I could eventually run the whole session. My running built up pretty quickly--did my first 5K less than 3 months after I started and a half marathon within 6 months, but it did take some work to get started.

Good luck.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 11:17 AM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne
For whatever reasons, running can make many people's digestive systems very sensitive, although some lucky people don't seem to have any issues.
You mean, if I can eat jalopenos and chicken drenched in hot sauce just before or after running that it only means I'm lucky and not that I have cast iron for a stomach?
Old 08-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Heaven -- It would mean you girl!! or pregnant
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #6  

Mmmm. Jalepenos and chicken in hot sauce. Drooling...
Old 08-07-2005, 02:24 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

No excuse Ilene. I ate that way before I was pregnant. LOL I'm a hot and spicey kinda gal. Course I can also eat while watching the bloodiest, most gruesome, horror flick imaginable. I always said I should've been a coroner.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

OMG you girls do have IRON stomachs !!
Old 08-07-2005, 02:55 PM   #9  

Not me! I sometimes have trouble eating even a banana before running, will usually go for Gatorade or Ensure before if I need something for energy. It just does bad, bad things to me as it gets shaken around. Liquids go better.

Now afterwards, a different story althogether.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #10  

I don't remember where I read this, but I thought I remember something about if you are getting cramps while runniing, you are not drinking enough water before your workout.

wndranne - I'm with you on after the workout, it's a different story. I keep thinking that there's got to be something wrong with this theory. I mean I bust my butt for an hour only to stand in front of the refrigerator in "attack mode" afterwards!! Not fair!!!
hollybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks for the reminder Holly, I had thought of dehydration too when I posted the first time but forgot to mention it.... Keep well hydrated before during and after a workout...But not too much water that it swishes around in your tummy...