Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #1  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Default hair getting all wet

This is something new for me - whenever I workout, I sweat so much that my hair gets wet - all around my head, up to 2 inches from the scalp. Could this be caused by how much water I'm drinking? I'm at 9 glasses/day right now, more than I ever used to drink. And is there anything I could do to either stop my hair from getting wet, or have it get less wet?

Help!
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:02 AM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

You could wear a headband/sweatband. Put it right at your hairline and it should absorb the sweat from your forehead area. Beyond that, well, the body will sweat where it wants to sweat, and other than anti-perspirant there's not much we can do about it!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:28 AM   #3  

I agree with paperclippy - A headband (terricloth works best) is a great way to catch the wetness. Good for you working out so hard!
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:03 PM   #4  

I sweat buckets from my head as well. I can literally wring out my ponytail by the end of a 1 hour class. Yuck! Unfortunately, other than the advice given above, which will help catch the sweat but not eliminate it, there's nothing you can do. We're going to sweat where and how we sweat, like it or not. It's the way our body regulates its temperature and cools itself.
Teelee6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:22 PM   #5  

I hate to tell you this, Sushi, but once your metabolism turns you into one of the people who sweats from the head, you're stuck. I don't think the water has anything to do with it. If my case is typical, it will only get worse.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:25 PM   #6  

Here's an idea - under my motorcycle helmet I wear a bandana scarf - it covers my entire hair area.....it looks better than helmet hair. But I think it would work for sweat too.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:52 PM   #7  

When I hike or go to spinning class, I also wear a bandanna covering my whole head, with the knot in the nape of my neck. It looks like **** on me, but keeps the sweat out of my eyes and from running down my neck. When I take it off it is drenched and makes an interesting "plop" noise if dropped on the floor.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:21 PM   #8  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Hmm... and I thought it's because I'm drinking so much water and because my hair is now 2.5 times as long as the last time I used to attend the gym somewhat regularly...
Never used to have this problem in the past.

*makes a note to look into headbands*
Old 08-04-2005, 08:28 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

My head sweats around the edges of my scalp a good bit. I use a sweatband. But you might also consider adding a hairdryer to your gym bag. They keep one in the restroom at my old Curves location and it came in handy.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:54 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Congratulations, you are now an athlete! Bring a towel with you when you work out. And think about how healthy and fit you are.

Look into finding a Coolmax or dri-weave type headband. Cool max is the greatest at wicking the moisture away from your skin.

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Hmm yes. My hair gets quite wet when I work out as well. My hair is just long enough to put in a ponytail. In fact my bangs come loose until I am sweaty enough that they just stick to the rest of my hair. After a work out my hair is wet all the way down to the ends (Pleasant huh!) When my hair was longer it would get wet above my ponytail holder Still thats a couple inches. Gross. But nothing that you can do.

I have noticed that I sweat slightly more when I am well hydrated. However, I sweat enough anyway I figure what is a little more. Especially when water is so beneficial for you.
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 05:29 PM   #12  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Umm.
Went to the small store by my gym where they have all kinds of workout accessories. Found headbands on a rack, and at the same moment noticed something else I wanted to check out in the corner of the store. Without looking at the rack, I grabbed a one of the boxes (one color, one size, so it didn't matter which box) and headed towards the corner. Didn't like the item (and can't actually remember what it was...).
So I picked up swimmers' shampoo and walked to the cash. And then I realized what was in the box... jockstrap...
Old 08-05-2005, 07:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

LOL! That is too funny SushiPenguin!
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:26 PM   #14  

First question: did you buy it? Second, and more important question: did you wear it? Third and most important question: did it keep the sweat out of your eyes?
Old 08-06-2005, 09:51 PM   #15  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

No, no and no.
I didn't get the headband either.