Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 11:11 PM   #1  
Alis volat propiis

S/C/G: 270/See Slider/145-140

Default A Get To Know You Quiz

If no one minds, here are a few questions we can answer to get to know each other a little better. Might have some more later.

WHAT ARE YOUR INTERESTS/HOBBIES?
Mainly cooking (for and with friends) and writing (I have short stories, one nonfiction book and some cookbooks in the works). Youth Ministry -- I like working with teenagers, though it's damn frustrating sometimes. And I love to travel.

FAVORITE MUSIC / SONGS?
Eric Clapton, good blues, southern-fried rock and contemporary Christian. Meryl Streep's rendition of "I'm Checkin' Out" from "Postcards from the Edge"; the new, trashy version of "Lady Marmalade"; "Rainbow Connection."

FAVORITE TV SHOWS?
I am addicted to "Law & Order: SVU." Chris Meloni is the (second) hottest thing walking. I'm a sucker for "The Golden Girls" and "Designing Women." Also love "Absolutely Fabulous."

FAVORITE BOOKS?
"One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez; "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" by Milan Kundera and "Rabbit, Run" by John Updike. I also like "If Not Dieting, Then What" and "Succulent Wild Woman." Anything by Anais Nin, D.H. Lawrence, Henry Miller or Kundera.

WHO ARE YOUR HEROES?
On a personal note, my daughter because she's awesome on so many levels and because she "proved them all wrong"; and my love, Joe, for his inner light, the joy he takes in using his God-given talents, and his fearless spirituality and self-awareness. Others: Vaclav Havel for leading a literate, peaceful revolution against oppression; Rosa Parks for having the courage to not give up her seat; Martin Luther for taking on the established church; Martin Luther King Jr., for preaching peace in the face of oppression. And, on most days, me -- just for surviving.

WHO ARE SOME FOLKS -- REAL OR NOT -- YOU'D LIKE TO MEET?
I guess the first person I'd like to meet is the person I would have been if I had never been adopted. Then, Jesus, of course. My birth mother. Vaclav Havel, Nelson Mandela and Rosa Parks. I'd also like to, um, "meet" Chris Meloni (SVU) and Goran Visjnic (ER), though not necessailty for idle chatter.

JUST SOME GENERAL IMPRESSIONS ABOUT YOU?
Let's see... a true Aquarian. A little flighty. Brimming with light and sunshine. But, man, when darkness settles over me, it goes beyond blue to some ungodly depth of purple. I have a delightfully dirty mind. I like most things to be at least a little bit unconventional. I guess I'm complex, but take a little time and I'm not too hard to figure out. Easy to please if your heart is in it.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:48 AM   #2  

I love going to movies and plays.
Writing stories and playing with cats, as well.

FAVORITE MUSIC / SONGS?
Very versatile.

FAVORITE TV SHOWS?
Right now, I am loving Coupling. I like sitcoms like Everybody Loves Raymond and Friends. . .sci-fi shows like Sliders, Quantum Leap, Smallville. . .the CSIs even though I do not want to heh. . .lots of old shows like I Love Lucy, Dick Van Dyke, Alfred Hitchcock, Twilight Zone, et cetera. . .game shows like Amazing Race (holy cow, sistas, what am I going to do without a television?!?!)

WHO ARE YOUR HEROES?
The guy at the grocery store who saved ten boxes for me! :-D

Is it bad that I can only think of tv people? Scott Bakula and Christopher Lloyd. Oh, and of course all of my online friends and sistas!

Terribly moody. Well intended. Dazed and confused. Vibrant sometimes. Daydreamer. Romantic. Terribly naive. Goody-two-shoes. Creative. hmm. Tired. . .very tired *yawn*.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:31 PM   #3  
THICK and tired of it

I'm interested in everything- I have a new hobby every day of the year, it seems, but never really follow through with any of them! I like to paint, sketch, play piano, sing- I like photography and messing with pictures on the computer. I know it sounds nerdy, but I like to study things I'm interested in- I like to research things on the internet. I like to swim, and be outside- camping!- and play games (dominos is a favorite) but most of all I love good conversation.

FAVORITE MUSIC / SONGS?
Holy cats, I can't possibly answer this one. I like soooo much. I like it all- I've even come around on rap, though I don't own any. I LOVE Neil Diamond. And Morrissey/The Smiths. And the Cure. And I love that song from The Sound of Music (though I've never seen the movie) "My favorite things"

FAVORITE TV SHOWS?
Hmm. I like programs about the paranormal, but there are few quality shows out there. That Beyond Belief show is so hokey it makes me want to vomit- but do I watch it? Yes I do. And I like Headline News, though I rarely watch it. I hardly watch tv, actually.

FAVORITE BOOKS?
Oh my god, again there's no way I can answer this. Like you, Maggie, I like Kundera- I also like Salman Rushdie. Kurt Vonnegut is my absolute favorite because I'm so into his satire and criticism of society, also I find him to be hilarious fun to read. I like contemporary world lit, a special fondness for Irish lit... On and on, I like it all. I love to read... Don't get me started on poetry...

WHO ARE YOUR HEROES?
I'm stumped. I'm writing my thesis on Charlotte Perkins Gilman, so right now I'm so wrapped up in her and her life work that I'm going to have to say it is her. Strong, intelligent, witty, creative, outspoken, action oriented- she was quite a woman.

I'd like to meet some of my ancestors- I don't know much about them, but I've done so much genealogy work that I'd like to know what they were like personally- not just important dates and locations.

I'm an open book. I'm moody, I know, and susceptible to bouts of depression- I have an increasing problem with anxiety, but I try to be positive. I like myself quite a bit (now- I didn't always) I've changed so much since my divorce, i actually feel like myself again, the person I was supposed to be. I probably look like some midlife crisis case, I have visible tattoos and my nose pierced and whatnot, but I've learned to express myself in ways that have meaning and significance to me. My tattoos are not just little pictures that I took a fancy to in a tattoo parlor, either- they're symbolic and meaningful to me. One is an Ohm symbol, one is a symbol of the heart chakra right on my chest, one is my son's actual handprint at the age of 3, another is just symbolic of the period of my life in which I had it done. I think I'm a creative soul, and a good heart- and I can laugh about damn near anything. My fear is that people think I'm a flake because of my interests in the occult and the paranormal- and also my nontraditional religious views. So I keep quiet about those things, usually, which makes me sad because I want to share my interests with others.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:14 PM   #4  
Proud Slimmin' Sista!

Well...I'm a second-year master's student studying English literature (wanting desperately to concentrate in early modern English literature, but finding it very difficult to do so because this program is so imbued by American lit. and 18th-c. lit canon). So basically all my interests and hobbies lie in reading, researching, writing, and teaching composition to freshmen. But man...when I find the right research project, I get really into it and start waxing philosophic, which can be a bit of a bore for my friends.

FAVORITE MUSIC / SONGS?
I like quite a bit of everything, which is why I want an iPod for Christmas! Lol. I adore Green Day's latest album, love Jane Monheit's Honeysuckle Rose album, and couldn't live without my extensive Cirque du Soleil soundtracks. My radio is consistently tuned to the new rock and alternative station, though.

FAVORITE TV SHOWS?
What's TV? Just kidding. I actually watch more than I should. I'm not a huge fan of all these reality shows, but I do like to watch ****'s Kitchen, The Apprentice, and Law Firm when I remember to see them. Otherwise, it's actually cartoons that I do plan my studying around: Family Guy, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Futurama, and Harvey Birdman. I get my news from The Daily Show.

FAVORITE BOOKS?
Anything Shakespeare wrote. I ADORE Shakespeare. Hm, except Romeo and Juliet. Not one of his strongest or most poetic plays. But we all have to start somewhere, don't we? My favorite play of his is Much Ado About Nothing. When I break away from Shakespeare (what?? Break away from Shakespeare??), I am in love with the Harry Potter series, so I'll occasionally go back through the pages of Hogwarts and see what other little mysteries I can theorize on. Currently, however, I am inundated with a comps reading list from ****, so that takes up all my "favorite books" category, lol.

WHO ARE YOUR HEROES?
At the risk of sounding like I should be on Oprah, my mom comes to the top of the list. The reasons are personal, but suffice to say she is the strongest woman I know and I look up to her beyond all else. I suppose I find most general heroes heroic, but it seems repetitive to list them off. And, though I don't want to sound too goody-goody, I do have to say that Pope John Paul II is a great influence in my life. For one, he saved the Catholic church and two, he instated all kinds of youth programs and retreats to remind the Church and the youth both that the youth matters almost more than the older people, lol. I always felt like I had a very strong attachment to him, akin to a grandfather. His death was very hard.

Well, Shakespeare. Absolutely Shakespeare. I'd ask him all kinds of questions about his plays, offer my theories, see if I'm way off the mark with some of them, figure out precisely what happened in his lifetime (because of that damn fire in 1666, we lost pretty much all of Renaissance London...rock on). I'd also like to meet JK Rowling and ask her some general writing questions. I don't have the urge to harrass her about her characters or books...I just want to talk to her about writing in general (like, before she was famous, how'd she fight off a lack of motivation, etc.).

Upon first meeting me, most people think I'm sweeter and more innocent than I actually am. I think it's because of my facial structure, height, and vocal intonation. Most people are shocked when they hear me use a colorful word for the first time...and I use them often. My motto is, "I fear no word." I don't believe words should hold power over people, though, on the paradoxical flipside, I do believe that people can weild words like weapons and cause great pain. With words, I take the stance that "words don't kill people, people do." Lol. Pretty liberal, I suppose. People see right away that I'm honest about my feelings, my thoughts, opinions, beliefs, etc., though I am not fond of just whipping them out and throwing them on the table. If asked, I'll present them. Otherwise, they remain hidden. That's what happens when you grow up Catholic in the South. In more generic terms, I'm friendly, forthright, adore to laugh and to make others laugh, and I like to think I'm intelligent.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:28 AM   #5  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I spend way too much time on the computer-- I have five websites plus a Yahoo group of my own to run. I enjoy crafts, volunteering for ChemoAngels (we adopt cancer patients via snail mail- drop me a line if you'd like more info), and, of course, playing with my two year-old daughter.
I love Primitive Country decorating (or, as my family likes to call it, "old beat up stuff") and enjoy searching flea markets/ antique shops in search of items to decorate my home.
I work part-time as the Activity Director in a nursing home (I do all the paperwork), and stay home the rest of the week with my daughter.

FAVORITE MUSIC / SONGS? Country. Toby Keith, Rascall Flatts, and Kenny Chesney are my favorites. I also like a variety of other music- especially 80's pop and show tunes.

FAVORITE TV SHOWS? Big Brother, West Wing, Desperate Housewives.

FAVORITE BOOKS? Wow, hard to say-- I read a lot! Most recently, I've been into Beverly Lewis' books about the Amish.

WHO ARE YOUR HEROES? Another hard one to answer. I don't know about hero, but, a friend of mine is my role model. She has a disabled husband & four children at home-- yet she's very strong in her faith & rarely complains about anything. Somehow she manages to work, pay the bills, and keep the kids in private religious schools. She's amazing.

WHO ARE SOME FOLKS -- REAL OR NOT -- YOU'D LIKE TO MEET? I always thought I'd like to meet Bette Midler.

JUST SOME GENERAL IMPRESSIONS ABOUT YOU? I'm usually very easy going, and have a positive attitude. I often have stong opinions and enjoy intelligent debates on various issues... but I hate it when people just want to yell or name-call to make their point.

This is an interesting thread!
Old 08-05-2005, 11:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

WHAT ARE YOUR INTERESTS/HOBBIES? I'm trying to incorporate exercise into my hobbies now, but lol its not working. Spending too much time on the computer, though I've really reduced that compared to 6 months ago. I've started cross stitching again. But I never seem to finish anything I read alot.

FAVORITE MUSIC / SONGS?
I like alot of different music. I don't stick to one specific area. I love classical music. I played the violin for almost 7 years, so I had to love it, otherwise I would have hated playing. I'll admit, I love pop music boy bands (NKOTB is the best ) some rap, some country (though on a whole I dislike country music) I LOVE Rob Thomas and Matchbox 20. I could listen to him all day every day

FAVORITE TV SHOWS?
Charmed, Buffy, Angel, Simpsons, Friends, House, and I've been pulled in to this seasons Big Brother.

FAVORITE BOOKS?
I love reading, so I have many favorite books. I love Gone with the Wind. The book is soo much better than the movie. She's Come Undone, by Wally Lamb. The Autobiography of Henry the VIII by Margaret George. I love that book. Its like 900 pages long, and I've read it so many times. Any thing by Mauve Binchy. Those are a few of them anyway. My favorite books from my childhood are the Anne of Green Gables series. I'll still read them from time to time.

WHO ARE YOUR HEROES?
I don't know. I don't really have any.

Henry the VIII We have the same birthday, btw lol. Someone that I lost 5 years ago, that I never met. My great grandparents. Any of the men from my hunks list

I'm a typical cancer - moody, messy, picky eater, pack rat homebody, procrastinator, emotional. I can be sarcastic at times I can also be a little ditzy and forgetfull too... I like making people laugh. Easy going at times. I dont get stressed out anymore.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:01 PM   #7  

When I have time I like to make little things and do dads with polymer clay. My Uncle just recently opened a store and he is sellings ome of my things for me. It was hard to part with them as they are my little "friends". I like anything crafty, sewing, crocheting, painting, quilting, drawing, sculpting etc.

FAVORITE MUSIC / SONGS?
"Rainbow Connection" is one of my all time favorite songs. Along with "November Rain". I like many different type sof music. My favorite bands and artists include Stevie Ray Vaughn, Brighteyes, Bare Naked Ladies (they are my very, very favorite), Sheryl Crow, Ani DiFranco. If I like it I listen to it. We mostly are stuck with country aroudn here b/c that's teh only radio stations we get. I have no problem with country I just don't like that they play the same stuff over and over around here.

FAVORITE TV SHOWS?
I am addicted to "The O.C." and "House" I also watch "CSI" and "CSI:Miami"

FAVORITE BOOKS?
I can't say I really have one. I have recently been enjoying books by Dan Brown and Janet Evonovich. I have read everything by John Grisham. But I pretty much liek anything I can get my hands on. I love to read but don't really have alot of time for it these days. Unless it's kids' books. I bet I've read "Bill's Belly Button" 100 times this week.

WHO ARE YOUR HEROES?
WOW this is hard. I can't say I have any. There are those of course like historical figures who fought for truth and justice even if it menat persecution. But not any I think about daily or us eto inspire myself.

I'd like to meet my birth mother BEFORE drugs and alcohol ruined her life and she left us. But then again looking at her family those things probably messed her up long before she tried them herself. I liked to meet God.

I'm shy, reserved and indecisive. I am probably THE MOST passive agressive person you will meet. I rarley stand up for myself and I am often taken advantage of my friends and family. I sounds really negative, but I guess I am just accomdating, never wanting to hurt anyone's feelings.
Closed Thread