Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #1  

Default Resistance bands for legs

Hi LWL,

Well, I am in my fourth week now and have been sticking to plan and doing well. I started weights this week, which was my original plan (3 weeks of eating right and cardio an then onto weights again). The only problem is that I fractured my foot in 2 places, leaving me to ride my bike and do upper body weights. I am not in a cast, but a removeable boot and would like to get some lower body stuff in with the resistance bands we have. The problem is that I have misplaced the guidebook for the bands. Do any of you have a web site where I can find a workout with bands? I have googled but they all seem to be selling bands, not offering workout ideas. Or do any of you know a few good band exercises for the lower body?

ETA: I am hoping for something that I can do while sitting or lying down, as I can't really stand on the broken foot.

Thanks.

Last edited by irishgreengables; 08-03-2005 at 03:28 PM.
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:09 PM   #2  
Meg

Paula - kudos to you for sticking to your exercise plans!

The only two RB exercises that I know that don't involve standing (like squats and lunges) are leg press and leg lifts.

For leg press, you lie down, loop the band around your hands a few times until it's short enough, place under the center of your foot, and press up at a 45 degree angle (kind of like a lying 45 degree leg press).

For leg lifts, you put the band under the center of your foot and do straight leg lifts. It's harder to do both feet at once, so do one at a time if both are too tough.

How about sitting down abductor and adductors (inner and outer thighs)? I've only done these standing but what if you tried in a chair? (heck, may as well try, right?!) Make a loop in the RB and put it around your ankle. Stick the other RB handle around a sturdy piece of furniture, like your dining room table or the leg to a sofa. Sit in a chair and press away for outer thighs and turn the other way and press across your body for inners. Here's a little video with the general idea.

Do you have ankle weights? (the kind that velcro around your ankles) You can do leg lifts, side leg lifts, and butt kicks with them - just start on your back, do leg lifts, roll to one side and do side lifts, on your stomach for butt kicks, and other side for side lifts. Then do the other leg.

Good luck! I'll bet you'll get some other good ideas.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:11 PM   #3  

oh these are great ideas. Thanks.

I just pulled out the bands again. I haven't used them since before I started using free weights -- which was before I got pg with my now 13 m. old. I discovered I have one that is just a big (like 10' diameter) rubber band and I think I can do the exercises you suggested with that. I am going to do just that. Thanks so much.
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote