South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 09:30 AM   #1  

Question Not losing????

I have been on SB faithfully for 2 weeks following phase 1. Before that I was on Atkins for 2 weeks. I have been walking for 30 min daily, this is week 2 for that.
At the beginning I lost approx. 8lbs. then gained back 5, now nothing is moving.....
I am following the phase 1 foods... drinking more than the required water....
I am getting very down about this, but I am going to keep moving. I cannot understand why this would not be helping especially when I review my lifestyle before program....
HELP!
Old 08-03-2005, 09:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Wow, I can imagine that would be very frustrating for you!

But, it could be several factors affecting your loss. The 2 weeks on Atkins followed
by the 2 weeks SBD could be causing your body to kind of re-group itself.

Or maybe you dont have so much to lose?

Or maybe you are eating too much of the few P1 foods that are limited in amount?

I suggest you post a typical day's eating here and some of the SBD experts here may be able to take a look and advise you.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:38 AM   #3  

Please post your menu and also your height and weight might help.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:45 AM   #4  

Thumbs down menu & stats

brk. 2eggs in Olive Oil
15 almonds- snack
lunch- salad with lf lunchmeat and OO dressing
snack- string cheese 1pc.
presupper sanck- 15 almonds

supper- fish in olive oil suated
black beans 1/2c
chickpeas 1/2c
cottage chees 1/2c
5 sf hard candy
1/2 c. mocha ricotta cream

this was yesterday, I ate more than usually because I was very very hungry.
I am 5'5" currently weigh 205,
goal weight 140 (65lbs. )
Old 08-03-2005, 09:56 AM   #5  
Kyemom

you need more veggies, hon. And the Almonds are limited to 15 per day, not per serving.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:02 AM   #6  

ramcade - I would say that you need more vegetables. Try for a half cup with breakfast and two cups with lunch and two with dinner. Or use some veggies as snacks if you don't want them with your breakfast.

The vegetables that you do have are legumes which is great but you also need to add some variety for added nutrition. Make sure you salad has lots of greens other than iceberg and that it has added vegetables like broccoli.

Also, since you have completed two weeks of phase 1 (and done Atkins) you should move into phase 2. You need the added nutrition on the fruits. Try adding one fruit or grain for a week and see what that does. It is common to stall after two weeks on phase 1 whether you move to phase 2 or stay on phase 1. It is healthier to move on to phase 2. Also since you were on Atkins you would not expect to see much of a loss in phase 1.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #7  

Thank You,
Barbara, your loss is awesome, can you give a few pointers of what you have done!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:16 AM   #8  

Remember that I have been on South Beach for well over a year now. My loss has been gradual. The more dramatic loss at the beginning was right before I started South Beach when my doctor put me on a diuretic.

For one thing, I have added exercise. I wasn't exercising before and now I do it when I can. I started with walking and now take exercise classes which push me to limits I would not push myself on my own. I also love the elliptical, stationary bike and weight machines.

As far as diet is concerned, I eat a lot of vegetables. I used to eat one small portion of vegetable with a large portion of starch and medium portion of meat. Now the meat is small to medium, the starch is small, and I eat large servings of two different vegetables with each dinner. I used to eat out a lot for lunches - either fast food or cafeteria food. Now I rarely eat out and instead I pack leftovers of dinner. Some of my favorite leftover meals are chili, broccoli cheese soup, Spicy Chicken and black bean soup, a pasta dish I make with ham, zucchini, asparagus, and penne pasta in sauce made with low fat evaporated milk or Peking pasta with chicken, mushrooms, asparagus, spinach in a ginger soy sauce.

South Beach has been wonderful for my because I just LOVE the food. While I do cook every night, I have lots of meals that take 30 minutes or less. I also love that my son is eating vegetables and whole wheat pasta that he never would have before.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:12 PM   #9  

I agree more veggies. I have to choke them down but I try and eat as many as I can
Old 08-03-2005, 12:14 PM   #10  

PS after adding more veggies I noticed I lost more weight and didnt feel hungry
Old 08-03-2005, 12:57 PM   #11  

thanks guys for postings. my weight loss is stalling, too. i see by your postings that i have not been eating enough veggies. i love this forum.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:58 PM   #12  

I have an "eat more veggies" question...are you guys eating more cooked veggies or more raw veggies? And which ones?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:53 PM   #13  

Personally, I eat both. I have about a third of a red pepper that I eat raw for my morning snack. In the afternoon, I have 1/3 - 1/4 of a raw cauliflower as my snack.

I eat lots of cooked vegetables:
- steamed asparagus (or green beans) that I stir fry in ginger, soy sauce and crushed red pepper
- steamed broccoli florets
- mushrooms medley with spinach
- summer squash casserole (with onions)
- sweet potato cooked and then topped with Smart Balance and Sugar Twin Lite Brown Sugar
- stir fry mushrooms, onions, and zucchini
- roast an assortment of vegetables in the oven (squash, onion, red peppers, asparagus, mushrooms)
- cook turkey bacon until crisp and add fresh brussel sprouts that have been cut in half and partially cooked. Add garlic and a little chicken broth. I usually pull out the turkey bacon to keep it crisp and so DH and Brian can eat it since I just like a taste of the bacon.
- coarsely slice cabbage and cook just a little in the microwave. Serve dishes with sauce on top. This works great for the Red Snapper Courtbouillon recipe as well as lots of other dishes.

I add chopped raw spinach to soups and pasta dishes. I add steamed asparagus to pasta dishes. I eat lots of soups that have beans in them. The Broccoli Cheese soup is wonderful. I add extra broccoli to it and don't puree it (I'm lazy and I like it chunky for added fiber).

I know I eat other veggies as well but these are the ones I eat most often.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #14  

Gosh, this was just what I was looking for today. I have been very frustrated at how slowly I seem to be loosing weight while it seems that I am doing everything "right". I probably need to be adding veggies in my diet too!
What about has anyone noticed that eating too many fruits is slowing their weight loss down? I was wondering if that was effecting my weight loss (I usually eat at least 2 fruits a day and sometimes more.)
Old 08-03-2005, 02:06 PM   #15  
Kyemom

I really have realized I need to start preparing breakfast with veggies.
Closed Thread