Old 07-30-2005, 07:42 AM   #1  

Default Time For Serious Fun #110

TIME FOR SERIOUS FUN

We are a thread dedicated to making losing weight a pleasant experience. We laugh, cry and talk together. We have challenges, points for staying on program, drinking our water, and exercising. We have a daily topic to join in. Our only focus is to help us realize that dieting and all that goes with it need not be unpleasant, but can be fun. Come join the fun here at Time for Serious Fun! Everyone is Welcome!

TOPICS:

Monday: Mission Monday New mission each week
Tuesday: Target Tuesday We target something to work on
Wednesday: Wednesday's Woes Our day to complain about anything and everything
Thursday: Time for Us Thursday The day set aside to pamper us!
Friday: Fabulous Lbs Down Friday. Report our losses!
Saturday: Sunny Thoughts Saturday We share stories and jokes to help us smile
Sunday: Silly Poll Sunday A new poll to give your thoughts to every week

POINTS VALUES:

STAYING ON PROGRAM IS 2 POINTS
DRINKING YOUR WATER IS 1 POINT
EXERCISING IS 1 POINT

POSTING A WTG: A WTG IS WHEN SOMETHING NON WEIGHT LOSS HAPPENS TO YOU LIKE A NEW DRESS IN A SMALLER SIZE. TO POST A WTG, USE ALL CAPS AND POST IT IN PINK. FOR EXAMPLE: WTG: I rode my bike 2 miles instead of one today
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:46 AM   #2  

SATURDAY: Today is Sunny Thoughts Saturday. A day to post good feelings and funny stuff!

Ok, because it is sunny Saturday I think this week we should each post something good about us diet wise from this week. Can be anything from exercising more than you did, stayed OP, fit into smaller clothes, whatever.

I guess mine would be discovering how much exercise really does effect the body all by itself.

Everyone have a good weekend. I will try and peek in later

Faye
Old 07-30-2005, 10:00 AM   #3  
*Believe in your dreams*

Hey Nice to know I am not the only Tn girl.

This past week I have started drinking 6 20 oz. bottles of water daily. In the past, I couldn't stand drinking water but now I have gotten over the hump. I crave it!! lol

The other good thing is finding this group. I joined last night and loving everything about it!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
~ntn4utide~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 03:32 PM   #4  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hey all,

I got 4 points yesterday - the funny thing was that yesterday was my high calorie day, where I allow myself 1800 cals so I can have a little treat - but I eneded up having under 1600! Some days are like that aren't they?

I had a great workout at the gym - I am loving the 'cross trainer' and can really feel it working all over!

My Sunny thought - This week I increased the intensity of my gym programme and am loving it! I love how fit I am becoming and how my shape is changing! Also, don't faint guys but the other day, Nigel couldn't be bothered to cook so suggested pizza - I nearly gave in, but then said 'no' and got up and cooked myself!

FAYE - Keep up the exercise - you are doing great! Those women are called Trinny and Susannah from 'What Not To Wear' - I quite like that programme, but I know what you mean about them grabbing peoples boobs all the time - they are obsessed! I have only two tops that fit me at the moment and I am happy to say that one is red and one is green! A year or so ago I would wear nothing but black and navy, but now I am loving colour and it stops me looking so dreary!

SCUZIN - No I didn't know that you suffered from depression also - hope that you are managing it okay, I know how hard it is. The good thing is that your gym workouts will REALLY help - if you can get into a routine and go at least 4 or 5 times a week then it will really help to lift your mood and get those endorphins firing!

NTN4UTIDE - Hello! I'm glad you love 3fc it's great isn't it? You are most welcome here - hope you can stick around. Good for you for persevering with the water - read Fayes earlier post about the benefits of water Vs coke - it's quite an eye opener!

Have a lovely weekend

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:52 AM   #5  

SUNDAY: Today is Silly Poll Sunday and our poll this week is, what spice(s) are your favorite to cook with?

Amanda
Faye

Good morning gals. Wanted to snuggle with Jack, but just as we got all spooned back in came the two spoiled animals and literally walked on us to get us apart! Fortune isn't too bad, as he only weighs about 8 lbs but Butterscotch is a tubby and weighs about 20! Like having concrete thown on you! So, I got up and came downstairs and decided to post before I go out to the pool. As for the poll, I like to cook with garlic and found I like the taste of thyme in stews and some soups, but I probably use garlic more than anything else. I have this great little "bag" of spices I put together to make rotisserie chicken. Makes the chicken taste just like the stuff you buy in the stores. The recipe calls for baking a long time in the oven, but I sometimes use my Showtime rotisserie with it too and it works great that way also. If anyone wants the spice combo and or recipe, let me know and I will post it.

ntn: Welcome and tell us all about yourself. We have a great group of ladies of all ages and all sizes. I think it is one of the best groups for support going. As far as who I am, I am going to be 52 in Sept, UGH! have two grown and married children, one lives here in Memphis (my dd) and one in Northwest Indiana (my son) and one grandson, Thomas, who is 5 and a real firecracker. I have been married nearly 33 years to a man who absolutely adores me and is the best support around. I am a transplanted TNer as my dh was in the Navy for 20 years and we moved around. I grew up in Notre Dame country (actually my son lives a mile from Notre Dame) and we moved here 4 years ago to have a better job and be near my grandson. I am a huge Opry Mills fan and we go a couple times a year at least so I am sure sooner or later we can get to meet!

Amanda: I bought this way out pair of capris for vacation and thought maybe they were a little over the top for my fat butt. The are white with bright yellow and aqua vertical stripes. Those were the pants I had on the day the guy flirted in the commissary with me so that surely convinced me I could wear whatever I wanted. I think there is a line not to cross as far as taste and I do think you should remain age appropriate to some extent, but I think we should please ourselves with beautiful colors. Besides, what depresses more, black and navy or yellow and green, right?

I am going to kill one of my animals. He just peed next to my couch. I will be so glad when we can rip up all these nasty carpets and put down hardwood and tile all over the house. The current carpets are very old very worn and very peed on by the last owner's dog but we ran out of money when we bought the condo to do the flooring so we have had to live with it. Next year we are going to be able to redo the floors and some of the plumbing and I can't wait. It is embarrassing for me to have people even step inside this house and see these floors.

Well, it is time to get ready to go to the pool and I would really like to get something done in the house today as I sat and read yesterday (Jack thinks I do too much and I get the "eyebrows" when I don't plant myself and "relax" once in awhile) You know me, that is almost impossible to do. You would think I would be a size 2 from all the up and down I do, but alas, all those Twinkies work against me!

Have a great day gals

Faye
Old 07-31-2005, 11:23 AM   #6  

Happy Sunday to all!
Faye - I am kind of a boring cook I think. Mostly garlic salt and seasoned salt on meat. It's quick and tastes pretty good! I am desperately needing new floors, too, but just putting kids through college has wiped me out!

Welcome to our newest member - stick around - you will like it here! I'm Marsha, 50, and live in southern MN. Two kids - DS, 26, and DD 23. Married for 31 years.
Amanda - good job on the healthy food choices, but I sure do like pizza! May have enough flex points left on WW to have some tonight.

Went to the zoo yesterday with kids - glad they still like to do things like that even when they are "grown up". Got in a lot of walking, so that is good.
Hello to the Susans, Carri, Julie, and anyone I missed. Hope you all have something fun planned for today.
Marsha
mejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:31 PM   #7  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi all,

I got another 4 points yesterday - this week has been a good week for me foodwise for a change. Well it's the end of July and I'm going to weigh and measure myself tomorrow so I'll let you know - it will be a good report I hope!

SILLY POLL - Garlic and black pepper and LOTS of them! I also love fresh basil and have a pot of it on my windowsill - I just love the smell of it!

FAYE - Good for you on the bright capri pants - you were obviously not the only person who liked them! I agree - I wear black bottoms and dark indigo jeans, but I want a bit of colour elsewhere!

MARSHA - That is so sweet - taking your 'grown up' kids to the zoo!

Love Amanda x
Old 08-01-2005, 07:30 AM   #8  

MONDAY: Today is Mission Monday and our mission this week is clothing. We have been talking about clothing and I think it is a good mission topic. Let's get rid of that all black and drab wardrobe and bring color into our clothes. Color is NOT the enemy for larger women. Yes, black is more slimming, but it is also depressing and if you wear dark bottomed pants, pair it with a nice colorful t-shirt or blouse. I am older so I like scarves to accent too sometimes. Anything that provides color will provide color to your skin and your overall good looks!

Amanda
Faye

Marsha: My husband hates the zoo. He says you've seen one animal at one zoo, the same animal is at another. We sometimes do go to zoo boo with Thomas at Halloween, but haven't done that in several years actually. I like the zoo, but not all the time.

Amanda: You know, I have to applaud your country for jumping on this terrorist thing. They really seem to have it on the ball. We have so much crap here with the ACLU and such that many times all of what we need to do is undermined. I am so proud of you for working so hard. Please remember though that losing weight is not your self worth. It comes from the inside and you have to believe in your inside beauty and not just your outside beauty. I know you are going to be at goal in no time!

I can tell it is heating back up here. I woke up with me adenoids all swollen up into my ears and throat and my eyes all swollen. Sheesh! Makes it hard to sleep when you feel you are choking all the time! Ahh, well, this to shall pass. As Jack says, we are now into August and it seems closer to vacation being in the same month that we are going. To think that it is finally only 3 weeks from Thurs. I could care less whether we have money to do anything or not though I have saved like Silas Marner for this trip and plan on having a good time with the money! Just getting away and having someone else pamper you sounds like heaven. The animals taken care of so you don't have to worry about them and getting to visit with my sister whom I haven't seen in nearly 2 years. I have to say, where a couple years ago thinking about the food we can eat out there would have been very important, I don't even think about it other than how can we eat cheap and eat on coupons! I haven't made many strides, but that one I have couquered.

Well, girls gotta go. have a good day today

Faye
Old 08-01-2005, 07:50 AM   #9  

Just popping in to say HI everyone!

To my great dismay, I realized today that if I had stuck to my plan back in January...I'd be one month from my goal. Instead, I'm exactly the same as I was 8 months ago.

Something's gotta give. Just don't know what or when or where it's going to happen.

I'll be back when I figure this all out. Hopefully soon.

Julie
Mirabelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:02 AM   #10  

Morning to all. WE are heating up again, too, but hopefully not quite as bad as last time.Supposed to break by Thursday .

Faye - Tried on the small capris and I could wear them - they zip quite comfortably, but I still don't like the more pronounced roll at the top! Hopefully by the time we leave for vacation in 2 weeks I can wear them. I agree on the color thing - I always get more compliments when I wear something bright - I have darker skin and eyes with lighter hair, so peach and salmon are good colors for me. I love living your trip vicariously - it is really good to see that people can still get excited about things. We go to northern MN in two weeks - our annual vacation with my family and my cousins from Iowa. It will be different this year because for the first time DM will not be going. She is going to the nursing home for the week we are gone. Hope it all works out because DF needs a break too. He lives for this week of fishing and being around the grandkids for a week - this year will include great-granddaughter. There will be about 27 of us in four cabins for the week.

Julie - good to hear from you. When the time is right, you will know it. You are right though - sometimes we think getting there is so far away that it is discouraging. On the other hand, where will you be 6 months from now if you don't try?

Amanda - keep us posted with the new stats.

Have to take car in for service this am, then physical therapy this afternoon. Then off the other way to help sis start baking cookies to freeze for vacation. Planning double batches of 4 different kinds, so there will be a lot of dishes to do anyway! Have a great day.
Marsha
Old 08-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #11  
It is what it is...

Morning All, well I had a great weekend, I got on the scales on Sunday morning and was down another 2 pounds !! That makes my total down for the month of July as 10 pounds!! So I made my goal and then some ... the way I had been so up and down lately it seems I never change my signature weight at the bottom of my posts, but now that I am back on track I will be updating every week .... I am going to set my goal for August at 8 pounds ... so we will see what happens ... it is so exciting to actually see my clothes start falling off me again ... well and I guess staying OP and exercising has been the key, you really cannot do one or the other, you have to do both to achieve optimal results ...

I know I have missed alot over the past couple of days, there has been alot of posts... so I will read through those and try to catch up with everyone later ... "hi" to everyone!!!!
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:28 PM   #12  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hey all,

I got 2 points yesterday - went slightly above my calories, but no worries. I am pleased to report a 9lb loss for July!! I am REALLY pleased as it is the most weight I have EVER lost in a month and it shows that my metabolism is now high and I am really in weight loss mode. I also lost 10 inches, fairly evenly from all over - the largest losses being from my boobs (at last!) and hips. I was still only OP with my eating for 45% of the month, but I exercised for 77%. I intend to really work on my eating for August and stay totally within my cals for at least 75% of the time - this is going to take some real effort on my part to make healthy choices EVERY DAY, but I'm determined to do it and I'm going to aim for another 9lb loss!

CARRI - I can't believe you trumped me with your 10lb loss! Just kidding - that is EXCELLENT and you are well on your way now - keep it up! (I'll try to beat you next month! )

FAYE - I understand what you are saying about my self worth - it is something I am continually working on! I'm getting alot of positive comments at the gym and I'm always terrible at knowing how to respond - instead of just saying 'thanks', I always just say ' well I've got a long way to go'. But I am working on it and it's still nice to get compliments!

MARSHA - I'm sure your holiday will be good for you and don't feel guilty about leaving your DM - the rest will do you so much good that she will really benefit aswell.

JULIE - As soon as you decide to give your weight loss the priority it deserves then you will lose the weight in no time. It's hard what with you running a home, looking after your kids and trying to establish a new career - but your health and well being are just as important. We are here for you when you are ready - and even when you aren't.

Hello to Nikki, and both Susans!

Love Amanda x
Old 08-02-2005, 06:07 AM   #13  

TUESDAY: Today is Target Tuesday and our target this week is that good ole H2O. For those of us not used to drinking water, it is sometimes difficult to cut down or out other things but it IS important to start increasing your water consumption. Don't pay any attention to those who go on about water and weight loss, but DO pay attention to the fact that your body needs water to feed your cells, run your kidneys, and a myriad of other things. If you are not a water drinker, try cutting out 2 of whatever else you drink per day and substitute 16 oz of water. Increase your water after a week or so and you will soon learn to prefer it.

Amanda

BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR LOSERS:

Amanda
Carri

Amanda: One of the things you have improved is your goal setting. This is one BIG way in which you are being successful.

Carri: You are very right, you must combine the two to really get good results and you have. Keep up the good work and that goal will be yours in no time.

Julie: I know right now you are overwhelmed with things other than weight loss. It can only be your decision as to what you want to do about that. It is not such a great decision to stay away from here because you aren't losing or even trying. Look at it this way, if you aren't working at it, those of us who are will encourage you to get back to it, if you are working at it, then you are the encourager! We need you here!

Marsha: I have to tell you a short story about something similar to what you are doing but drastically different. My son and his girlfriend (now his wife) went on a camping trip with her mother's family, brothers and sisters, in laws and such all adults. I guess they do it every year so they can see each other. First off, you have to know that my dil is half Mexican. Anyway, they were all sitting around the campfire and my son said her uncles are raving bigots calling Mexicans, the sp** word and blacks you know. Anyway, they started in with garbage and my son, always the peacemaker tried to be reasonable when talking to them. They continued and my son had enough. He stood up, royally told off one of the brothers that was particularly offensive and the guy stood up and threatened my son! (now you have to understand they were engaged to be married so I am sure my son didn't want to upset his future mil who adores him btw) Well, Jay is 6'6" and about 240 and has a black belt in combat jujitsu. He looked at his future mil, said, "I think you better explain to your brother what I could do to him if he doesn't apologize to everyone and then go to bed." I guess she looked at her brother and said, "___whatever his name was, Jay could kill you with his bear hands and he is giving you the opportunity to regret what you said and I suggest you do." The guy stood up said something like to H with all of you and went to bed. Jay and his girlfriend, her sisters and her mom went to their cabin and he told her in the morning he was leaving that he was sorry but their racism sickened him. Well, she said, "No, we are ALL leaving. I put up with that growing up and when I married Alicia's father but I don't have to now." They did leave as soon as it got light and didn't even say goodbye. So with that being said, I am glad you have a great family you can have fun with and enjoy! Hope you df has a grand time with the little ones. He deserves it and so do you!

Everybody have a great day!

Faye
Old 08-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #14  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hello all,

I got 4 points yesterday.

Today I went shopping with my friend and she bought me some glasses as a belated birthday present. You may remember that I had my eyes tested back in January and was told I needed glasses - well I've been trying to save up ever since, but other stuff has always ended up getting in the way, like the cat needing the vet or the computer breaking down. My friend is so sweet to me and offered to buy me some - I'm not a big fan of glasses, but I must say these ones are coooooooool! They are designer 'Quicksilver' and have brown frames and tinted lenses - I can't wait to collect them on Friday, not least because it will put an end to all the headaches and eye strain I've been suffering with!

Have a nice evening

Love Amanda x
Old 08-02-2005, 03:24 PM   #15  

Happy, hot Tuesday. Just got home from town. Went with a friend and her two boys to do some errands - took longer than I expected. In the mid 90's and very humid here today, so I am having a large ice tea. Somehow it quenches my thirst better than water, but will try to get in some water later. Wow, Carri and Amanda - WTG on the fantastic losses. I am only down 1 this week, but my initial week on WW last week I lost 10 - I know it was fluid before, but at least it stayed off plus one, so I shouldn't be disappointed, but don't we always want more?

Faye - you should be very proud of DS - sounds like he has a good relationship with mil, and great that he has strong convictions. We do all have a great time, but by the end of the week, we are ready for a break from each other!

DD just got a call for an interview for a job that would take her a little north of Minneapolis. She would like the job, but would rather not relocate. Several people have told her there will be an opening about 30 miles from here at the end of August. Makes it difficult to know what to do! I told her to go to the interview - the experience is good anyway, but not sure about accepting a position and then applying for a different one in a month? Also, of course, she knows there are no guarantees she would get either one.

Take care people - will talk tomorrow.
marsha