Old 12-11-2004, 01:46 AM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default PCOS and Heart Disease

Common hormonal disorder linked to heart disease

Polycystic ovary syndrome affects up to 10 per cent of reproductive-age women

Women with a common infertility-related hormonal disorder called polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) are more likely to develop diseased arteries in the heart, according to a recent study.

Some researchers estimate PCOS affects up to 10 per cent of reproductive-age women. Symptoms include infertility, irregular menstrual cycles, excess body hair, acne, obesity and small cysts on the ovaries. The condition is known to increase the risks for diabetes and heart disease.
Now, Evelyn Talbott and her colleagues at the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health have shown that women with PCOS begin to develop calcium deposits in their arteries before they even show symptoms of heart disease.

Talbott says early treatment is therefore needed to reduce the risk for heart disease-related death and illness.

The study involved 61 women with PCOS and 85 women without the condition who were followed for almost 10 years.

After the researchers accounted for other heart disease risk factors such as age and obesity, women with PCOS were more than twice as likely as their healthy counterparts to have calcium deposits in their heart arteries.

What's more, PCOS-affected women were four times more likely than women in the comparison group to have a cluster of heart disease and diabetes risk factors called the metabolic syndrome.

These risk factors include high blood pressure, increased waist size and problems with the hormone insulin.

Women with PCOS who also had the metabolic syndrome were at an even greater risk for calcium buildup in their arteries.

With files from The Medical Post.

From McLeans.ca
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:21 PM   #2  

Hi jennifer how do you know if you have herat disease ? Iv become very worried about this because i am overweight espeially around the middle area iv even been taking phentimene a slimming tablet that reduces your appetite and aslo i suffer fron anxiety please let me know if you know anymore ,thanks xx
montey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 11:23 AM   #3  
WW Moderator

A doctor would have to tell you for sure. If you have anxiety, try and take a deep breath and relax. I suffer from it also, and chest pains are one of my symptoms. Not very handy! If you are experiencing chest pains, shortness of breath, or any other symptom, see your doctor about getting some tests. You may have to see a cardiologist. I have had a couple of stress tests, nuclear imaging, ekgs and echos. I'm deemed cardiac healthy.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 04:07 PM   #4  

I only found out i had PCOS because of an article i read in a magazine. The first doctor i saw basically told me to go away. I went back two months later for a second opinion and was diagnosed straight away. If anyone thinks they may have PCOS please go and see your doctor it is quite common and not many people know about it.
I lost 20 pounds with my diet and managed with the help of Clomid (sorry about spelling) to have a beautiful little boy. Don't give up trying and i wish all PCOS members the best of luck in the world if they are trying to concieve.
angelbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/278/130

Height: 5'5

Is this forum still up and going?
Skinnyontheinside17 is offline   Reply With Quote