Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-27-2005, 11:59 PM   #1  

Default Is there anything you wish you had known before?

Is there anything like "the best protein powder" or "I wish I had found out about this product..." or "I wish I had had this when I got out of the hospital.." Or anything along those lines that anyone wants to share?
tfarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:22 AM   #2  

Well, since I am a week post-op, I haven't even tried powder...

I wish I had known that it was normal for some leaky stuff to come out the drain tube exit, beside the drain tube. The yuk gravitates to the exit hole, even if it doesn't make it into the tube. It was freaking me out. I changed the gauze frequently, so have plenty of gauze and tape if you are getting a Roux-en-Y.

Make sure to get plenty of sleep before you go to the hospital. During the day, there was construction at my hospital. Day and night, you will have nurses, custodians, respiratory therapists, doctors, visitors, blood pressure checks, temperature checks, IV changes, pressure cuffs going off, and phone calls...all at different times. It adds up to little cat naps, but not much meaningful sleep.

I'll add more when I think of more. I hope this helps.
Stevie Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

for that drainage, i found that sanitary pads worked GREAT. i am extremely allergic to tape, so figuring something that would absorb the ick without blistering my skin was a challenge. the pads stuck to my clothes [well, pretty much] and absorbed lots of fluid.

agree with stevieC's comment about the sleep!

protein supplements are tough to judge. what works before often doesn't work after, and what one person likes another one thinks is gross and disgusting. having said that, i wish i'd known about nectar proteins [by syntrax] a lot sooner!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:05 AM   #4  

Default will I have drainage?

will I have drainage with laproscopic?
tfarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 03:14 AM   #5  

Yes, mine was laparoscopic. Hopefully your doctor uses some kind of drain. Has he/she told you?

Protein: I found a couple of companies that sell samples of protein. I ordered some, but it hasn't arrived yet.

www.bariatriceating.com
www.vitalady.com

There may be others out there that even sponsor this site. (?)

Last edited by Stevie Christine; 07-29-2005 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:14 PM   #6  

Mine was laproscopic, and I had a drain. At first you should expect to see a fair amount of drainage, and when you go home you should be prepared to empty the drain. The big thing that I wasn't prepared for was that I kept hearing from people that laproscopic was so much easier on your body than the open surgery. So, I was expecting it to be much easier. I was in way more pain than I expected. I know someone who had the open surgery on the same day as mine. I saw her at the two week check up, and she seemed to be getting around so much better than me. Maybe it was just my perception because I felt so bad; I don't know. If you are getting the lap band, then it won't be so bad, I had the full bypass. I know someone who had the lap band, and she was back in full swing, in just a couple of weeks.

Something else that I found, and I don't think it's the same for everyone, is that I found it hard to lay in bed. I just felt like I couldn't breath and the pain was worse. I ended up spending a lot of time sitting up in a chair and sleeping there. I really wished that I had a neck pillow, you know the kind that wraps around your neck. My head would flop, and I'd wake up. It would have made sleeping a little more comfortable.
My4Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:55 PM   #7  

Hi tfarah,

Right after I had my Lapband surgery, I found that a recliner was a great place to sleep. As Monica said, the bed was quite uncomfortable and I didn't have drains or anything, so if you have one (or access to one) you might want to get it set up in a really comfy, convenient place.

As for protein, I'm a big fan of Unjury protein powders. I tried some others that were just nasty tasting, but I've never had a problem with Unjury. They have chocolate, vanilla, strawberry sorbet and unflavored. If you want to try some, go to their website (just add www to their name) and order some samples. Of course, I've heard Jif say about a million times that your tastes can change drastically after bypass surgery, so don't order too much of anything in case you hate it later.

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:02 AM   #8  

Wow-where is this drainage site? Thanks for the tips-I will get some pads. How long did it take before you guys were able to return to work (if you are employed outside the home). I have blocked myself out for three weeks, but maybe this is too short? I dont have access to a recliner, but have a huge bolster pillow that I sometimes use if I have a cold and am asthmatic. Will this do or should I find something better. How long 'til you were able to lie flat? I am scared of pain- Going in on August 10th which feels like tomorrow. Thanks to all for the tips. Oh, one last thing, my sister (had the bypass) drank a lot of Ensure. How about you guys. She is down 100 pounds!! Bye for now, Deevs
Deevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:15 AM   #9  

My drainage site is on my right side, about 3 1/2 inches in from my hip bone.

Someone else will need to answer your back-to-work question...I am a teacher. I had my surgery on July 20. I am still light-headed. By the time I go back to work on August 22, I should be good to go. Hopefully?

I was able to sleep without the recliner, but it's not fun. I like to sleep on my right side...drain side. Not good.

Drinks: I have ordered protein samples, but they s-t-i-l-l aren't here yet.

That's great news about your sister! I hope you are successful, too.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:08 AM   #10  

I had a drain (open RnY) but only in the hospital. They took it out before I left.
Juliesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:30 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

the drainage lasts awhile, but it's TEMPORARY!!!! i slept normally - but maybe the recliner would have been better. IT'S TEMPORARY. just don't want you to think that this will be the way you'll live for the rest of your life.

as for the ensure, i've heard of some programs recommending it, but generally [and notice that - it doesn't apply to EVERYONE, but to a lot of people] Ensure has WAAYYY too many carbs for early post-ops. and people get sick. dizzy. exhausted. feel louse. it's dumping syndrome!!!!!

low-carb protein shakes are generally a better choice., but as with everything with this surgery, ya gotta experiment and see what works and what doesn't.

and for the return to work - i know some people were back to their DESK jobs parttime after about 10 days. BUT, people who have physical jobs need more time - like 4-6 weeks. i needed 6 weeks, but that was because i was so desperately sick going into the surgery.l..
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote