Old 07-25-2005, 03:16 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #25

Happy Monday from Iowa!
I'm waiting for the dryer to finish so will chat with you. It's humid again today although not as hot -- "only" 87 but "feels" like 95. That just tickles me when the weatherman adds that piece of information. Hot is hot!

"Gma" -- I'll bet the lady who lost the rings had too much to drink! I'm surprised at the number of people who will wear their rings when they swim; I guess mine are loose enough that I would be afraid of losing them in the water. I think you need a new association president who has some back bone and is willing to set some rules for everyone to abide by. You shouldn't have to put up with the riff/raffy neighbors or anyone else for that matter! It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for someone to inquire about the rings. You could play dumb like you have no idea what they are talking about. I hope you are keeping cool!

I have a box ready for the Good Will but think I'll send it with DH tomorrow. I hate leaving the house mid-day and then never can seem to get myself in gear when I get home.

Hope you all are having a nice day! I need to keep moving!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:16 AM   #2  

Morning gals! Already hot and humid today. We are supposed to have a low move in tomorrow and cool us off about 10 degrees, which means 90 instead of 100. It was 102 yesterday!

Jean: We have so many investment companies snatching up condos that come up for sale and then they rent them, that it is hard to even get people to come to the meetings let alone run. You can't vote nor can you hold office unless you are an owner and the current guy is an old cronie that has lived here 25 years at least and I don't think anyone wants to make waves. The job is a BIG headache and to be frank I am just glad we have Ernie willing to do it. We just need to spend money to get the pool thing solved. One of my neighbors said there used to be a kiddie pool but they filled it in because it kept getting clogged up. You can guess why! EUWWWWW! People are so gross. As for the ring, I doubt anyone will come looking for it because the people that jump the fence to get in, don't even know who has keys to it anyway. It is an older style ring, but has 5 diamonds on the band and 2 small and one larger on the engagement ring so it probably wasn't cheap. It doesn't look fake either as the ring itself is gold and not like sterling or something. Oh well, that's what she gets for tresspassing and drinking on the premises. One of these days I expect to go over there some morning and find somebody at the bottom of the pool dead from doing stupid stuff like drinking and swimming in the middle of the night.

I am going to make a couple of those Omaha steaks and their stuffed baked potatoes for dinner tonight. So far, the stuff I have bought was pretty darned good. We shall see about the steak.

My dil called yesterday to tell me thank you for the cookie bouquet and the e-card I sent her. Jay gave her a surprise bday party last weekend. Her Chinese season plates were being delivered last night. I have this wonderful friend who lives in Indiana and sells Home Interior on the side (she works a full time job in a law office and her dh drives a UPS truck and has for like 20 years) Anyway, I ordered them from her and she not only gave me a discount, she wrapped the gift up to give to Alicia! She is such a sweety. I promised her when we went up there for Thanksgiving I would buy a bunch of candles from her (she gives me those at cost most of time). Looks like we still have a lot of traveling until the end of the year. We are supposed to go to Houston to see the Cubs play the end of Sept then to Indiana for Thanksgiving, but we are staying home for Christmas. Once Jay and Alicia have kids then we will alternate years here and up there for Christmas.

Well, I need to get some things done and funny how they don't do themselves!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:45 AM   #3  

Good Morning, Flowers!
I've been to turn in a prescription EOB at the administration building, then a quick in and out at the grocery store, and went for my walk as soon as I got back home. It has dropped 30+ degrees since yesterday and is terribly windy. Walking was grreeeaaaattttt!

"Gma" -- I was just thinking the same thing about a dead body on the bottom of your pool. Our condo was also a rental so I remember the owners' meetings and the fact that we couldn't go and participate. I'd love to go back to Ohio and see where we lived . . . it's probably been turned into a ghetto although it was really nice when we lived there in the '70s. That's what happened to the apt. complex we lived in while we were in Mpls. Let us know how your dinner turns out; it sounds good!

DH is playing in a golf tournament on Friday, with his brothers, and I'm thinking maybe one sister-in-law may come along to spend the time with me. We're going to have Maddy for the weekend and I have to pick her up in the afternoon so I need to coordinate schedules.

I need to get busy so have a terrific Tuesday today! The choice is yours.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-27-2005, 05:44 AM   #4  

Good morning ladies! Hope all is well with you. We are expecting rain today so I hope it cools us off some. We could sure use a break in the temps for awhile.

Jean: Dinner was very good. The strip steaks, which can be tough were very tender and I loved the potatoes though Jack didn't like them. I told him I would eat them and make him a regular baked potato from now on. I guess he doesn't like stuff in his potatoes and these had sour cream, bacon and cheese in them. I thought they were yummy.

Thomas starts school in two weeks and is really excited though mad about having to wear his shirt tucked in and a belt (dress code) I guess he has been helping his Nana cook dinner and insisting they stay and eat every night instead of going home to eat. Kelly says she just pays her mil for the food since they are now on a fixed income (they are much older than we are) He starts fall soccer in a few weeks so we will be going to that again. Hope the weather breaks so the heat is not so oppressive for the little ones as well as the watchers! She and I had lunch together yesterday and that was nice, though it is so hot I didn't eat much and it was Mexican so that is surprising. Usually I scarf the chips and salsa!

Jack is still snoozing, but I got up around 3 AM with a headache (from the fan blowing on my I think) so I will probably nap sometime today. That's ok, leaves me time to fix him a nice breakfast.

Not much else going on in my part of the world. I did wear a pair of my new capris yesterday and they are more loose than a couple weeks ago so I am still losing inches being out in the pool everyday and working so hard at it. I am not eating proper but am trying not to binge or anything like that either.

Everyone have a great day today

Faye
Old 07-27-2005, 04:49 PM   #5  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's another "cool" day in my neighborhood -- sunny, bright blue sky, and big puffy white clouds. I could take this weather when school starts with no problem! I got my back-to-school perm this morning; it's shorter and curlier than I wanted but will grow. Also got a call from the hospital and my colonoscopy appt. is set for 8:30 next Wed. The nurse made it sound like "no big deal and very routine." I told her that was easy for her to say!

"Gma" -- Glad to hear your meal from Omaha was a good one! I like all the "stuff" on my potatoes too. Will Thomas be going to a private school that he has to adhere to a dress code? I wish we had uniforms as they don't pay any attention to the dress code and very few teachers are willing to challenge the students and go through the hassle. Did he ever go through the testing that was recommended? If you've said, I've forgotten. Working out in the pool has got to be a big plus for you! Keep up the good work.

I gained a pound at WW last night. I guess my munching caught up with me. I will miss next week because I will probably be sitting in the bathroom. *sigh* I knew you all would appreciate that piece of information!

Since I've been gone most of the day, I do need to get busy! Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-28-2005, 06:04 AM   #6  

Morning gals. It is cooler this morning. Not cool, just cooler and the rain completely bypassed us! It is 72 right now so at least 10 degrees cooler than it has been overnight.

Jean: Thomas did get testing and he has some kind of odd learning disability. He has to go to public school until they can work with him and get him over the hump so to speak. Kelly is not happy about it especially since the redistricted the schools and all his little friends from preschool and soccer are going to the other school but the private schools won't take him until he is over this problem. They think it might only take him a year. Gang symbols and killing for clothes became such a problem that the city schools went to uniforms and the county schools (T's school system) has a dress code. I doubt it is adhered to very strictly for kindergarteners, but she has to dress him that way anyway. Don't you hate those perky little, "no worries" nurses who aren't having a wand shoved up their..... Ahh, it will be fine and then it will over and done with and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

We are down to 4 weeks today for vacation. I can see Jack chomping at the bit and who could blame him? I mean, working in a blower building with no ventilation where the heat gets up to 140 on those hot days we have or working out in the middle of the lagoon (basically sewage lake) on what they call the pit hog in the sun and the stink! I can see why he wants vacation to get here too! He is going to have 12 days off! We talk about it every night now, what we want to do, what places we want to eat, what we are going to do with dsis and bil, etc. Though I haven't stuck to a food plan, the hard exercising every day is paying off big time. I have lost a lot of inches and all my clothes now fit fine and some of them in June I couldn't get over my behind. I know, I know, think about where I would be if I had been sticking to the diet.....

My cat is talking to me and I heard puppy pads rustling, which usually means he is "cleaning" up for me and I need to go and get them. Have a good day!

Jean: when does you first day back start? County is the 8th here and city the 15th.

Faye
Old 07-28-2005, 09:36 AM   #7  
Web Nana

Good Moring Ladies. The weather has finally changed and we can breathe again. Overnight the cold front came through and I had to get up and close the bedroom windows as it was blowing directly over us. It feels so good today.

FAYE: Only 1 month to go, wonderful. DH & I do the same thing, planning where we are going to eat and what we will do each day. It makes it more real, I think. I am sure that this year will pass quickly for T and next year he will be in the school that both you and DD want for him. We don't have uniforms here but there is a dress code. I am not that close to anyone in the high school so I don't know how well it is followed.

JEAN: Good luck with the colonoscopy!!!! I have had 5 over the years, history of colon cancer in the family. I have never had a problem with the test. As a matter of fact, I have had to tell the nurse to not administer too much sedative as I will sleep for the full day! I am very susceptible to medication and a little goes a long way. The sedative lets you doze thru the test and when you wake it is all over. I hope it goes as easily for you.
The last two tests were at a new center that was our old post office building at the bottom of our street.....feels funny walking in and knowing I used to post letters there.

Gloria in MA....since it is cooler today I should take advantage and do some housework.
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:14 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
This is a quick post because I should be working on my "to do" list! It's another beautiful day in my neighborhood. I walked early this morning and have been putzing ever since. . .we will have Maddy for the weekend so I need to go to the grocery store before I pick her up.

"Gma" -- Can your daughter open enroll Thomas to the school where his friends will be? We have alot of families do that -- mostly because of where the parents work and/ or sitter location. I hate to tell you this but (in Iowa, at least) once a student is labeled as having a learning disability, they very rarely get out of the program. I hope that Thomas will get a good teacher and extra help if he needs it. I don't think I would like Jack's job much. We have a meat packing plant here and I always said I would have to scrub floors before I could work there. I can tell how much you are both looking forward to your vacation! I go back the 16th and students start on the 22nd; I just got my schedule of workshop days and meetings. It'd be nice if they would schedule a block of time to work in the rooms so they are ready when the students arrive.

Gloria -- Glad to hear you are enjoying cooler weather! Our change was a bit too much too quickly, but I love it! It's supposed to warm back up over the weekend. I'm sure it will be hot when school starts; it always is. I asked the nurse if I was the first patient of the day -- they start at 6:30 and do the diabetics first. I guess I'm in the middle of the pack. She said I'd be back home by 10-10:30. I didn't remember the doctor talking to me after my toe surgery so I assume that it will be the same this time. I don't care, I just want it over and done with.

I'm off to work on my list! Have a great rest of the day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-29-2005, 01:31 PM   #9  

Afternoon ladies! It is heating back up here today! It was beautifully cool here this morning but it is hot and sticky right now. I had to go to the dreaded commissary today. I have complained enough about it to you all but the truth is, it is a pain in the neck to go there. If I didn't save so much money I wouldn't go. For example, I bought a can of the new Febreeze air freshner at Krogers and paid $3.49 plus 10% tax so around $3.83. I got the same stuff at the Commissary for $2.20 and their ser charge is 3% ( we don't pay sales tax) so about $2.26. You know me, and I am about the most compassionate and a big supporter of obese people in the world, but there was a woman at the commissary today who probably weighed over 400 lbs and she and her dd who was no shrinking violet either had themselves and two carts parked in front of the egg section. NO ONE COULD GET EGGS and she must have bought 10 cartons of the 18 count and stood there and checked every darn egg while we who wanted eggs started piling up. I got fed up and pushed my fat behind in and said excuse me, we need to get eggs too, and pushed her cart out of the way. I got looks of gratitude, but not from her! Why are people so darn rude? I then got stuck in a traffic jam on the interstate because of a 2 semi truck accident and kept thinking I was going to have ice cream soup when I got home!

I came home and unloaded and put everything away and though my IC was soft it wasn't ruined thank goodness because it was for Jack not me. I am now pooped as I awoke at 12:45 AM and couldn't get back to sleep. I talked to the dr about it, but looks like it is menopause induced insomnia. He wanted to give me a strong sleeping pill but I said no, I would just continue to take what I have. Did you know that diphenhydromine (Benadryl) is a great sleeping pill and has NO SIDE EFFECTS? You can take it every day and not become addicted or it harm you in anyway! A doctor told me that several years ago and my dd (who is a pharmacist) confirmed it. So, I just take two of them about an hour before I want to go to sleep. They help with my allergies too!

I guess I better go and check the mail. I hear the little indians next door outside and I am expecting some more Netflix movies today.

Have a great weekend

Faye
Old 07-30-2005, 12:34 AM   #10  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I am REALLY late getting here tonight and not because I didn't want to. I made a flying trip to the grocery store early this morning, then did a quick pick up around the house because DH's two brothers were coming to pick him up for the golf tournament and a SIL came along to spend the time with me. We went out for lunch and toured the local Hallmark store which is moving into our abandoned Penneys store this fall. We had a nice visit and then met Beth halfway to pick up Maddy. The rest of my time has been spent fixing supper, playing, and giving Maddy a bath. She finally gave up and fell asleep during the news. I am tired and heading to bed shortly!

"Gma" -- Can you take Benadryl if you take high blood pressure meds? I woke up at 2 AM this morning then tossed and turned for an hour. I finally got up and went downstairs to the relciner. That makes me so mad! I finally fell asleep -- the last time I looked at the clock it was 4:15 and I wanted to get up at 6 . . . short night. I've taken Tylenol PM; sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. 10% tax!? Ours is 6% and soon going to 7%. I hate it when people block an area of a store and then ignore anyone who is waiting their turn or wants to get by.

Have a great weekend! I am going to bed!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-30-2005, 08:01 AM   #11  

Good morning girls! Hope you are doing well this morning. That includes you, Maddy!

Jean: Yes, you can take it with BP meds because dyphenhydrymine is different than the other stuff in cold meds and such. You do have to be careful. Actually, that is what is in your Tylenol PM and more than likely what is in those old sleep meds like Sleepeze and stuff over the counter. The dr said, if sleep is the only problem, it is not wise to be taking Tylenol because overuse harms the liver. So he said, to take Benadryl, same ingredient and only sleep. I take two and it will put me to sleep. Hope you and Maddy have a fun day today. I miss Thomas and don't get to see him much with his mom working days and his other grandma taking care of him all the time. Guess I am going to have to lobby the other kid to get on the stick and give me some more grandbabies!

I am going out to my pool ritual in just a few. Jack is up early this AM poor thing. Went to the bathroom and couldn't get back to sleep. I know it was past midnight when he came to bed because I woke up around that time and he was still in his office goofing around. Guess he will just have to take a nap today some time. Me, I am cleaning house today and tomorrow as it is that time again! Let's see I have 3 more weekly cleanings before vacation! WooHoo! I got an e-mail special from the hotel we stay at last night and passed it on to my sister so they got a special deal for their weekend they are coming over, plus 2 free breakfast and 2 free lunch or dinner buffets. The buffet at the hotel we stay at is really pretty good. On top of that, we are taking them out for their anniversary on Sat night so they have Friday night, Sat breakfast and Sat night meals covered with no charge. Pretty good, huh? We got 2 mailers from the hotel awhile back and changed our reservation with them and saved like $200 that way on top of getting coupons for meals and things.

Well, the pool awaits. have a good weekend ladies and Maddy, don't poop out grandma too much!

Faye
Old 07-31-2005, 12:17 AM   #12  

Late again tonight . . . and I'm tired! Miss Maddy has been in bed for an hour and I've been picking up the disaster area and doing some laundry. I forget that she is "grandma's girl" and attaches herself to me every minute she can.

Tomorrow is heading to MIL's and visit with the out-of-state relatives. Maddy will go home sometime before dark.

"Gma" -- Sounds like you chose the right hotel! It's nice of them to give you the extras after you made the initial reservation. I did know that about Tylenol but thought it was if you take alot of it on a regular basis. My MIL lived on Excedrin until she got an ulcer. After all of her surgeries the doctors told her she could take as much extra strength Tylenol as she needed to because she doesn't like to take prescription pain killers. She's 85 and I think her liver is working fine.

Have a relaxing Sunday! I am going to bed!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-31-2005, 01:05 PM   #13  

Morning ladies! I have been busy this morning and didn't get a chance to get in here earlier. I got out in the pool and only did half an hour as my heart and my legs weren't in it today. Since Jack wanted me to "relax" yesterday I did nothing so I did the housecleaning downstairs this morning, 2 loads of laundry including the sheets and a load of dishes in the dishwasher. I am now sitting down for a few then will get up and fix a bite to eat for lunch. Jack had a headache so is sleeping right now on the couch. Must be those stupid Sodoku puzzles he is addicted to! The darn things would give ME a headache for sure. I am putting a chicken in the rotisserie for dinner tonight and will probably fix a b potato for Jack and I think I will have one of these twiced baked ones I bought from Omaha and maybe some frozen corn and biscuits. I think after I get my second wind I will stick a cake in the oven. We haven't had cake in a long long time.

Jean: Sounds like Maddy had a grand time even though grandma is POOPED! I wish God would have figured out a way for us to have grandchildren when we were young so we would have the energy to chase after them! I am not nearly as old as some grandparents, but I feel it when Thomas is here anyway. They just wear you out. Oh and to answer your ? about Thomas and school. No, our school system does not allow for going outside your boundaries unless you are applying for special schooling like gifted program, special musical programs etc. So he has to stay where he is. His learning disability all has to do with his writing and how he holds his pencils and crayons. They think it will only take a year to get him to do it correctly. They call it a learning disability because they don't know where else to put it I guess. The kid can read and write but just has trouble with HOW he writes so there is not a LEARNING disability per se. He also has fantastic hand eye coordination, which I think is funny. He can bebop a video game like nobody's business.

Well, I am hungry so think I will get a tuna sandwich. Have a good day ladies

Faye
Old 07-31-2005, 08:48 PM   #14  

Good Evening, Flowers!
We just got home from MIL's and meeting Beth to return Maddy enroute which was about an hour out of our way. It was nice to spend time with the relatives and we got to see Ian and Zowie again. It's been a strange day for weather: rain, clouds, sun, humid, cool down, wind, clouds, and now more sunshine.

I need to get busy on the laundry and return all my "pretties" to their resting places.

Speaking of resting places, DH clobbered a possum last night who was eating cat food. We disposed of the body on our way out of town!

"Gma" -- You have been busy today! If "they" think T holds his pencils and crayons wrong, "they" should make a trip up here and see what we have to deal with! Very few hold their pencils correctly much less write so anyone can read it. Teaching penmanship is a thing of the past because "everyone uses a computer." I hate to tell 'em but writing is going to be around for a long time yet. I hate to think that everyone will be toting a computer around to type, rather than write. Are Jack's puzzles on the interent?

Have a marvelous Monday tomorrow! I start my "light" meals and the countdown until I start back to school for the workshop days.

Jean -- from Iowa!