Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-28-2005, 06:52 AM   #1  

Default Is it enough?

I have two little ones so finding the time to exercise can be difficult. The baby is only 3 months old and still likes to eat just about every 2 hours (I am breastfeeding). I have managed to get about 30 - 40 min. of exercise in a day using the treadmill. I work up a good sweat but from what I have been reading here, am not sure if this is long enough to truly burn fat.

I was thinking of maybe getting a mommy and me exercise video that my 3 yr. old can do with us. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Also, I find that if I wait until my husband gets home to exercise, the time somehow slips away from me ... making dinner, eating dinner, cleaning up after dinner. Before you know it bedtime is here again. That is why I try to exercise early in the day so it gets done.
jjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:51 AM   #2  
mmmm.. ice cream

S/C/G: 238/135/125

Height: 5'4"

30-40 minutes should be fine. i read in some fitness articles that if you exercise just 20 minutes at you target heart rate, you continue to burn calories after you are done exercising because it boosts your metabolism. what would also help in continuing to burn fat when you are not exercising is weight-lifting and toning, if you can find time for it (but this can be just 3 times a week, as these articles i read said.) mommy and me sounds like fun
cadwell125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:08 AM   #3  

I think thats just fine. If you're doign 30-40 minutes daily - you're bound to see results that you wouldn't see if you were doing nothing right!!?!? I also read that if you don't use your arms to assisit you in your daily activities (ie:getting up out of chairs, walking up stairs, sitting down, etc) it forces you to use your core muscles and legs and helps to burn calories and tone up. If you just make a conscious effort to do that throughout the day, in addition to chasing the 3 year old around and 30-40 mins of exercise - I think you'll do just fine.
MsDominatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:44 PM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

As the weather permits, pushing 2 children in a stroller is a great additional workout too.
and I'm sure you get to push a loaded grocery cart around....if you add up your regular activities, along with your treadmill, you probably get more time in than you think. maybe you want to add in some abs/lifting....but that is part of Mommie & me, isn't it? ( i never took it with my daughter)
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 04:43 PM   #5  
Registered Loser

THe thing that got me started was dancing with my girls in the living room -- pop in a really good CD or your favorite radio station, especially on the weekends when they have some good specialty type programs. Turn it up LOUD and dance your heart out, it doesnt matter what moves or how -- just keep moving!-- my 2 yr old LOVES to dance with me -- her favorite cd is the Stray Cats; My four year old -- she like's Trace Adkins song called Honky TOnk Ba-donky-donk -- that is a great dance song. (Ever two-stepped with a baby? what a riot!)
famosamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I second the double stroller idea. I walked all the time last spring/summer with my then newborn and 2 year old. If your three year old won't sit in a stroller though, maybe she'll ride her bike while you push the baby in the stroller. My 3 year old is pretty happy to ride her bike while I walk for up to about 30-45 minutes (after that she's too tired).
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote