Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-25-2005, 04:01 PM   #1  

Question I need a new personal trainer...

Okay, so I have lost about 80lbs mostly with cardio workouts, but 4 months ago when I hit a plateau I added strength training. It has made a HUGE difference. I paid for 3 sessions with the personal trainer and she was fine. She didn’t explain a lot, basically just moved me from machine to machine and counted. I really would like to try out some free weights, but I am afraid to start it on my own. I worry that my form will be bad and I will hurt myself if I don’t have someone watching me. I also have *NO* idea what I should be doing with the free weights anyway. I am really bad at looking at an exercise in a magazine or video and then figuring it out myself. I need someone standing next to me saying “Don’t bend your knees” or “Sit up straight”. I would be willing to pay the trainer for more sessions, except her schedule is terrible and I have to take time off work to meet with her. She has four kids and her schedule revolves around their schedule. I would really like a trainer to be with me 2 times a week for at least a month or so until I feel comfortable with the weights.

Okay, so here is what I am currently doing. Splits – Lower body Monday & Thursday and Upper Body Tuesday & Friday. Wednesday is cardio only. Usually the weekends don’t have any exercise, but if I do it would be cardio. Unless carrying around a 3 year old could be considered strength training!

I just do one set of each because I only have an hour or so to workout. The gym opens at 5am and I have to be to work at 7. I usually can fit in about 25/30 minutes strength and the same for cardio. I usually do 12/15 per set. If I can do 15 two workouts in a row I up the weight the next time.

Lat Pull Down, 60#, 1 set each handle
Dual Axis Row / Rear Delt, 45#, 1 set
Modular Tricep Pushdown, 25#, 1 set each w/ Rope, Straight Bar & Circle Bar
Dual Axis Chest Press, 30#, 1 set
Dual Axis Incline Press, 30#, 1 set
Lateral Raise, 30#, 1 set
Shoulder Press, 2.5#, 1 set each bar
Arm Curl, 25#, 1 set
Arm Extension, 30#, 1 set

Hip Adduction, 60#, 1 set each foothold
Hip Abduction, 60#, 1 set each foothold
Seated Leg Curl, 55#, 1 set
Leg Extension, 20#, 1 set each leg
Rotary Calf, 125#, 1 set
Glute, 80#, 1 set
Prone Leg Curl, 40#, 1 set
Seated Leg Press, 120#, 1 set normal, 1 feet “v”, 1 inverted “v” 1 at top

Any suggestions? My gym only has two trainers and neither want to be there at 5am when I am. I really want to move to the next level. Meg / Mel – anyone want to come to Chicago and train me?!
sherpamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:52 PM   #2  
Mel

I don't do 5 am! That's Try Meg...I think she'll be in Chicago next month

Seriously, there are plenty of freeweight exercises you can do without fear of getting hurt. Watch people, look at www.exrex.net, look at Krista's site, buy the Body Scultpting Bible or Body Sculpting Bible for Women.

I'm sure if you ask around, you can also find private training studios or trainers who will come to you with some equipment. It sounds like you need only a few instructional sessions

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:54 AM   #3  

Thanks Mel, I have added the Body Sculpting Bible for Women to my Amazon Wishlist. I will feel like a dork with the book out in front of me at the gym, but I'm used to that. It couldn't be worse than falling off the treadmill.

I am not really in "Chicago", I am about 30/40 minutes outside of Chicago in an area in the suburbs that doesn't have a lot of choices for gyms/training. The gym I go to is really my only choice to fit into my schedule. I used to go to a Bally's but they didn't open until 5:30 so I didn't get as much time in.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:20 AM   #4  
Meg

Heck, I'd happily do 5 am and I'd doubly happily do Chicago (or the 'burbs) since I went to Evanston Township High School and U of I in Champaign - Chicago is my town! But it's kinda a long commute from where I am now ...

You're in a tough spot with your scheduling dilemma -- any chance of getting together with one of the trainers during the weekend? Most of our trainers work at least part days on Saturdays - some on Sundays also - to accomodate clients' schedules.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:45 AM   #5  

I used a smallish book written by a trainer to get me into free weights. What I liked about it was that it told me how many times to lift a week and what to do at each workout, had logs written into the text for me to track those workouts, and had a good section at the back with pictures of how to do each exercise. Dh used it first and really transformed his body. I was amazed at what it did for me.

Brenda
mom2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:21 PM   #6  

Thanks Meg and mom2w.

Saturdays appear to be a no go for me. The trainers hours are very limited and I just can't seem to fit it into our schedule. There is no childcare at the gym and no one can watch my 3 year old during the hours the trainer is available. I will probably buy the book and go from there.

Thanks again!
Old 07-30-2005, 12:29 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Melissa -- In life you do what you can, not what you want ... Go for it, do what works...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote