Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 04:19 PM   #1  
Alis volat propiis

S/C/G: 270/See Slider/145-140

Default OT - but I'm so excited and scared!

My daughter is leaving Thursday for a six-week internship at Habitat for Humanity in Americus, Georgia. She's 19 and hardly ever home anymore, but I'm going to miss her so much. She's taking a bus by herself and will be en route from Thursday afternoon until Friday morning. I took a bus to California when I was 22. It was a three-day trip. I felt so old and in control, but I wasn't that much older than my "baby" is now.

I'm so proud of her; she loves community service and social-service work. And she is crazy about construction, so the Habitat gig will be good for her. Her goal is to join the Peace Corps, so she might meet people who have been in it while at Habitat. I know she's going to change the world. (Actually, I fully expect her to lead a revolution against the tyrant dictator in some Third World country one of these days!) She's my hero. One time, when I took her and a bunch of other kids on a mission trip to North Carolina, there were a bunch of men there who didn't want to let the "girls" do any heavy lifting or serious construction work. But my daughter and her friends insisted, and by the end of the day, the guys were standing back with their tails between their legs. My daughter said to me, "Mom, I love to be underestimated." I thought that was so cool.

But I am a little nervous about her being away and traveling alone, so if you ladies would keep her in your prayers and good thoughts, I would really appreciate it!
Old 07-19-2005, 05:21 PM   #2  

Your daughter sounds wonderful,and talented. I pray she has a safe trip, and learns alot while away. Sounds like you've done a great job, Maggie
Old 07-19-2005, 06:20 PM   #3  
Alis volat propiis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistySeptember
Your daughter sounds wonderful,and talented. I pray she has a safe trip, and learns alot while away. Sounds like you've done a great job, Maggie
Thank you so much, Misty. I give all glory to God for the way she turned out. I just got so lucky that I was the one she was "given to!" Thank you again.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:11 PM   #4  

It sounds like she has a wonderful spirit--I bet she got that from her mom
Old 07-19-2005, 08:28 PM   #5  
Alis volat propiis

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowasteph2
It sounds like she has a wonderful spirit--I bet she got that from her mom
Thank you, Steph. Now I'm crying again! I'm such a dorkus!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:50 PM   #6  

Ooh, what motivation for you though, Maggie! Six weeks is plenty of time to earn a, "Wow, Mom, you look great!" difference in weight. :-D (Not that she should not say it regardless of weight loss!)
Old 07-20-2005, 11:35 AM   #7  
Proud Slimmin' Sista!

I love that she loves to be underestimated! What an amazingly cool thing to say! I agree with her, too. It's always so much fun to show people that you can do what they say you can't. I hope she has fun on her mission trip. Don't worry about her too much in Americus. It's a pretty decent little town.

And I totally agree with Hippo, there! How much fun will it be to show her what a difference six weeks will make on your own little mission?

~Amanda
Old 07-20-2005, 06:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Your daughter sounds like a wonderful woman!!!

~Liz
Closed Thread