Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2001, 08:42 AM   #1  

HI everyone. U all seem really supportive. I weigh 170lbs and I HATE my body. I'm 5'6" by the way. I will do anything to lose the weight and keep it off. I want to get down to 130lbs. I don't care what I gotta do to get there, but I am ready to do it. So please, anyone give me any type of tips that would help me, please I beg of u!
*Depressed*
170/170/130

------------------
Old 02-17-2001, 10:56 AM   #2  
REC

You have the about same measurements/weight as me when I started. 5'6 1/2", 176 pounds and felt so FAT. I complained about it all the time. Finally dawned on my that complaining wouldn't help anything, so I joined WW. I kept to the program and started walking for exercise EVERY day. I WANTED it more than I wanted to stay fat!

The neat thing is once you start eating healthy and exercise, you feel better and it's EASIER to stay on the program.

So, take some action! You will see a marvelous change in your body with just a 10% weight loss. I lost a dress size. You'll feel better with just 17 pounds less. I had more energy. Exercise helped me sleep more efficiently, so now I actually sleep less and feel better.

For exercise, find something you ENJOY--biking, roller blading, walking, swimming, dancing. It won't feel like exercise. Do it every day if you can for as long as you can, working up to minimum 20 minutes, but I'll recommend longer 40-60 minutes. Take a break from it once per week.

If you WANT to do it, you CAN.

REC
176/152/153WW/135-140P goal
Old 02-17-2001, 11:12 AM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey Princess --

Pretty much what REC states I would definitely agree with. The trick is finding a form of exercise you enjoy doing and stick with it! I wouldn't have been able to keep off 100+ pounds without making exercise a daily, essential part of my life.

I happen to enjoy going to the gym every morning, but I understand a lot of people out there aren't gym rats -- find something fun and motivating -- I also love cycling which just about anyone can do and it's fun!

If you join a gym or decide to take up walking or jogging, I would suggest investing in a Discman - I bought mine three years ago. Having great tunes to listen to just makes my workout more intense - I just burn my own CDs to listen to. Another good investment is a heart rate monitor - I got a fantastic deal on eBay...

A terrific book to read if you want to know where to begin with exercise and diet is "Make the Connection" by Bob Greene and Oprah Winfrey (try and find the accompanying video if you can -- I still find it motivating!). Bob lays all the steps down into a sensible, easy to follow program. The only problem I have with the book is the lack of resistance (weight training). A great weight training book is "Bottoms Up" by Joyce Verdal - heck, any of her books are great!

And...keep posting on this website. I also post my daily eating and workout journal on fitday.com - it is so important to keep a food diary! - and to keep myself REALLY honest I have a link to my fitday journal on my website...

MrsJim
265/159/145
Old 02-18-2001, 12:14 AM   #4  

HI Princess! I have found that I really enjoy Susan Powter's videos. She gives you a lot of different ways to modify while you are doing aerobics. She also goes very slow to use muscles. Her stuff is not complicated, either. I got my videos on e-Bay. I agree with the Walkman-get something you really like to listen to and DON'T listen unless you are walking. I have heaard of some folks getting books on tape and only listening when walking. You really do need to find something that you enjoy. I think there is a test on Prevention magazine website that lets you see what kind of exercise you might enjoy. Have fun with your new healthy lifestyle!
Old 02-18-2001, 01:12 AM   #5  

Thanks everyone for your replies I will definately go out and get a video & start my ecercizing. I am going to do this, and with your help itll be easier, thanks!
Old 02-18-2001, 02:27 AM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

www.half.com is also a GREAT place to buy videos, books, cds - I always look there first -- you wouldn't believe the prices and (although I love eBay) no bidding is involved - you just buy! Two enthusiastic thumbs up!!

MrsJim
265/159/145

P.S. A great large-size exercise video (if you can find it -- it's been awhile) is "Idrea says "Yes You Can!"' (also called "Idrea - the Larger Woman's Workout). I used this video five days a week for six months in 1990 and never got tired of it...
Closed Thread