Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-30-2005, 12:59 PM   #1  

Default pedometers?

Who all here uses Pedometers while running/walking/etc?

I just got a new one (brand: Omron) and it seems to work pretty well. I wonder just how accurate they are. (guess it also depends on the quality of the brand)

What's your take?

God Bless,
Summer Storm
Arizona Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:15 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Summer -- I have a pedometer, a pretty good one too, but I could never set it to my pace. I'm not really sure how accurate they are because mine use to add steps even when I was just moving in my chair at the office since I wore it all the time... But if you start and do your steps and work yourself up and use it for motivation and goals it's a great tool or maybe just use it when you go for walks. Hope this makes sense I sure hope it helps... Hopefully someone with more experience will come along with a better explanation...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:55 AM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I could never get mine set to my pace using the step calculation method they have you use. What I did instead was used a treadmill...got a good workout just setting it. LOL I was able to find both my walk and run speeds, both with pretty good accuracy. I would time 10 to 15 minute sessions on the treadmill and the miles on the pedometer would match the treadmill each time.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:18 AM   #4  

Thanks Everyone,
I am starting to wonder about mine, I was jump rope working-out and thought I'd see what it would say when I got done it I did a 100 rope jumps, stoped, looked at my Pod. and it said I only went 200 steps, 0 aerobic steps, burned 3 calories, and went 0.07 miles

God Bless,
Summer Storm
Arizona Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:30 AM   #5  

I got one not to long ago and it sucked. I was going to return mine but lost it. Please, invest in something more effective and useful.
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 09:08 AM   #6  

Smile

I've been using my Omron for about six months. It has its limitations but it also has its strong points. It takes some doing to get the stride set right. I finally tested mine against a track and finally have it close to accurate. The mechanism that makes it work is very sensitive...that's why it picks up movement when you wear it all day. I only wear mine all day if I'm working on the # of steps. If I'm using it for a walk, I don't put it on until I actually start the walk. It doesn't start counting aerobic steps until after a set number of minutes -- I think ten. That's why it didn't pick up your jump roping.

By the way, I had lost the manual for mine and found it online. So if you forget how to change a setting, just do a search on pedometers.

Dinah
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:37 AM   #7  

I like using a pedometer. I've never managed to set the stride length right, but I'm more interested in the number of steps anyway. My only problem is it's uncomfortable to keep on all day: it digs in when I sit down (I'm apple-shaped) and occasionally falls off when I get up. Mine is a Sportline, and I like the fact that it has a cover over the face so I can't accidentally erase my totalé

Carla
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote