Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 09:35 PM   #1  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

OK - where is everybody? :confused:

Anyway -- what a quick weekend! I did however remember to bring in my measurements sheet! So far -- I have lost 7 inches! YAY!

I'm looking forward to getting to Curves today. I really miss it on the weekend. I did get some aerobic housecleaning done on Saturday though, which is good...

Have a great day!

------------------
166/162/130
7 Inches Lost So Far!!
Old 02-05-2001, 10:28 PM   #2  

Does it count if I'm not actually going to the /gym/ per se? I don't have a gym membership for a number of reasons, and work out at home instead. I'm planning on going home to my new Firm videos tonight, and would like to check in + add my voice to the group support. I think a daily check-in is a /great/ idea to keep up motivation and keep us all on track.

copperblu
160/160/130
Old 02-06-2001, 09:53 PM   #3  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Sure, Copperblu, as long as you're moving! Welcome!

I had a so-so workout yesterday, and I'm feeling kinda flu-ish today, so I'll see how I feel when it's time to go to Curves. I hope I'm not getting sick!

Have an active day!

------------------
166/162/130
7 Inches Lost So Far!!
Old 02-07-2001, 02:50 AM   #4  

Great!

I went home + did my Firm video like I planned, even though I was hit with this unbelievable desire to simply lie on the couch the second I walked in the the door. So I'm pretty pleased.

I can't workout tonight, since I'm going out with the husband -- grr. I'm excited for the "date", but I'm actually annoyed that I won't get to exercise, which is COMPLETELY out of character.

Good luck going to the gym, and I hope you aren't coming down with anything! Don't push yourself /too/ hard!

-copperblu
160/160/130
Old 02-07-2001, 09:25 PM   #5  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Bleh! I feel horrible... I dragged my butt into work thinking maybe I'd feel better once I was moving, but I was wrong..

I worked out (took it pretty easy) yesterday, and like you, I will be missing my workout today. I don't think I'll make it much longer today.. my bed is calling!

BTW, it's great that you got yourself going last night -- didn't you feel GREAT after you finished?

Anyway... have a good one. Hopefully, I'll be back tomorrow feeling better! And have a great time with your hubby!

------------------
166/162/130
7 Inches Lost So Far!!
Old 02-08-2001, 03:35 AM   #6  

Hi!

The date w/hubby was fun -- although I always manage to forget just how LONG opera can be. No workout, of course, but we /did/ manage to walk 15 blocks from 45th to 60th, which is something. Although I feel bad for him, it helps that my husband has been feeling fat lately too, because it means he always wants to walk with me!

Didn't get home 'til late, and now I'm all tired + grumpy. Still I swear to exercise! My theory is that if I tell myself often enough during the day that I'm exercising when I get home, when I /do/ get home and see the lovely welcoming couch, I'll feel so guilty about all that "build-up" that I'll feel compelled to work out so I won't "disappoint" myself. Strange, but it seems to work!

I bought more FIRM tapes today (I really need to be stopped) + a bunch of Kashi stuff. I've been trying to up the fiber in my diet, with some success, but I /also/ need to up the protein, and I couldn't think of any way to do both without eating something every 5 minutes! The new Kashi GoLean has 10g fiber /and/ 8g protein per serving, so it will hopefully go a long ways towards helping me achieve my healthy eating goal.

I've always /mostly/ eaten well -- I tend to eat terrible things when I go out, but healthy things on my own -- but I'm trying to improve the balance of my diet. I currently drink at least 64oz water a day, and now I drink 3 cups of green tea (antioxidants!) throughout the day rather than coffee in the morning. My new "balance" goals are to get around 30g fiber a day + 40g protein.

After all -- if I'm going to be building all this muscle, I'll need the protein to do it.

I hope you're feeling better, and I'm proud for you that you've managed to stay on track even when you're not feeling well. That's dedication!

And hey! Where are the rest of the Chicks? We can't be the only ones who want to check in on exercising daily!

----------
160/160/130
Old 02-08-2001, 09:12 PM   #7  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

That's great that you still got a little walking in yesterday, Copperblu! Every little bit helps!

I'm feeling much better today. I went home yesterday morning and slept most of the daylight hours away. That made all the difference!

I'll go for a light workout this afternoon, depending on how I feel, and then we're off to the city for supper at Red Lobster. Now, I'm not a seafood eater, but both Mom and DH are, and she's buying him supper for installing her remote car starter, so.... I get to go too. I'm not sure what I'm gonna have, but I'll probably splurge a little!

Speaking of strange ways to motivate yourself, Curves is having a promotion that if you workout a minimum of 3 days per week all thru Jan & Feb, you get a free water bottle. So...I find myself wanting that cheap thing sooooo bad that I feel awful for not making it !5! times a week! Oh well, my Mom says I'm crazy, but at least it gets me there!

Anyway, I don't know what happened to the other two that were posting... but I hope they're doing alright.

TTFN!

------------------
166/162/130
7 Inches Lost So Far!!
Old 02-08-2001, 10:41 PM   #8  

Hysterical! The things we'll do for trinkets! Maybe I'll ask the hubby to set aside some silly toys for me -- I can imagine I'd squeeze in an extra workout for a Hello Kitty pencil case!

I'm glad you got some rest -- I'm always amazed by how important sleep turns out to be in fighting off illness. It's like our bodies just need a little downtime when we're not bother it with our silly demands so that they can get down to business + start healing themselves.

I DID exercise last night like I promised! I wanted to do it even LESS than usual -- but the self-guilt thing really does work, and I got up off my a** and worked out. Working out at home, I find that that old chestnut of changing into your workout clothes and setting everything up for your workout really /does/ get me moving. Once the tape is in, I would feel SOOO silly just sitting there w/my sneakers on and my weights out once the introduction ends + the workout begins!

Dinner out sounds fun! I'm a big believer in not denying yourself all pleasure simply because you're trying to lose weight. Go ahead, get something yummy! I'll bet that there are lots of delicious things to eat that aren't /too/ bad for you anyway. I just say "stay away from batter!" and remember that the portions they serve at restaurants are GIGANTIC. I often have to remind myself to stop eating -- I'm not even hungry anymore, but it's in front of me + tastes good, so I keep eating as long as there's food left. I can eat a whole pound of pasta at a restaurant without even realizing it!

Anyway, my point wasn't to frighten you away from the yummy food , but to encourage you to enjoy yourself + find something both delicious /and/ moderately healthy.

Have fun at dinner + let's keep moving! One more "coat of paint" as they say!

Old 02-08-2001, 11:14 PM   #9  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Thanks for the encouragement! I have the same problem with portion sizes at restaurants...but I find myself more and more able to eat half and save the rest for later. I totally hate the idea of ruining the extra (like with overloads of salt) What a waste of food! (Inner miser speaking!) Hee,hee!

It's funny how willing I am to "go the distance" if there is a freebie involved! I am learning to become more frugal out of necessity. About my only splurges right now are Curves ($42/month!) and my pets (I have 12 barncats, 3 housecats, 2 dogs, 2 budgies and 2 fishtanks!) The rest I'm learning to budget on, as DH and I want (need) to build a house in a couple of years.. We live in the old farmhouse on his family's land, and our heating bills are outrageous as the house is insulation-free! Brr..... I guess that would be another good reason to plug in one of my exercise videos... to warm up!!!

Well...I certainly have blabbed on and on... I should go do some real work!

------------------
166/162/130
7 Inches Lost So Far!!

[This message has been edited by MarvintheMartian (edited 02-08-2001).]
Old 02-09-2001, 12:38 AM   #10  
Losing it!

Hi,

Do you two mind if I join in your group? A daily exercise check-in is exactly what I need.

------------------
Mony
179/165/135
valentines day goal - 164

Progress not Perfection
Old 02-09-2001, 08:56 PM   #11  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Welcome, Mini Mony, The more the merrier!

Red Lobster last night was AWESOME! I actually didn't do too bad eating, had a chicken and pasta dish with iced tea, so that was good. But then we had dessert! I won't tempt you with the details but... oh, heaven! Thankfully, I don't have stuff like that very often, so I'm not going to worry about splurging! I'll just work extra hard at Curves today!

The worst part is that we were out a little later than usual (ok a lot later!) so I'm really tired today....

See ya later!

------------------
166/162/130
7 Inches Lost So Far!!
Old 02-09-2001, 10:16 PM   #12  
Losing it!

Morning copperblu and Marvin!

Well, like copper I don't work out at the gym. I've been doing The Firm Basics tapes mixed with other cardio and strength training to keep things interesting. I also have a Total Gym which I haven't used in quite a while. I hate to think I wasted my money on another exercise gizmo so I'm determined to start using that Total Gym at least twice a week.

To be honest my weakness is the cardio. I hate to sweat. So keep after me to get my cardio times up, guys!

But I love the strength training. I love that feeling that your muscles get after consistently working them for a while. Feels like they are "humming". I like to think that feeling is muscles growning and eating fat.

My rotation for the rest of the week looks like:
  • FRI - a.m. Firm Basics: Abs, Hips, Thighs Workout
    p.m. Firm More 5 Day Abs; P.M. Yoga
  • SAT - a.m. walk
    p.m. Total Gym (abs, chest, back)
  • SUN - a.m. rest
    p.m. Total Gym (abs, arms, shoulders)

Basically I've finally realized that exercise is the key to my weightloss. It seems to regulate my appetite and my moods. And if either of those gets out of whack I'm a goner.

I'll report in each morning to keep myself accountable and find out how you both are doing! We can do this!

------------------
Mony
179/165/135

Progress not Perfection

[This message has been edited by Mini Mony (edited 02-09-2001).]
Old 02-10-2001, 08:01 PM   #13  
Losing it!

Yesterday was a tough day. It's funny how you can slip into a zone were everything seems to be working and then the next day everything is a struggle.

Anyway, I skipped my Firm tape in the morning and just did Abs and Yoga in the afternoon. I felt like a rest might get me back on track...but maybe that was just a copout.

------------------
Mony
179/165/135

Progress not Perfection
Old 02-12-2001, 09:26 PM   #14  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Well, another Monday... didn't do too badly on the weekend eating, but didn't get any real exercise done. Oh well, all I can do now is either feel guilty or start over again today. I suppose I did get a little in yesterday cleaning up the house and doing laundry, but nothing that would cause a sweat!

I totally agree about one day being a breeze and the next is torture! That's one reason why I can't just do videos/workouts at hoe, Mony. I just won't do them for any length of time. Curves is great for me, as I feel an obligation to go because I have to pay for it, and I go with coworkers that I don't want to "let down". This way works best for me.

But don't spend too much time feeling guilty about skipping -- you did do something, and that's a great success on it's own!

Talk to you later!

------------------
166/162/130
7 Inches Lost So Far!!
Old 02-12-2001, 10:07 PM   #15  

Hi MinyMony! Welcome! I laughed when I read your post -- like you, I hate to get hot + sweaty! That's part of why I gravitated towards the Firm -- because I'd liked weight-work in the past. No jumping around!
The Basics are less "sweaty", so I'm using them to acclimate myself.
I know what you mean about exercise really regulating your appetite + moods. I exercise at night, and it really stops my just-got-home hunger pangs in their tracks until about 8pm. I also feel that it's much more positive than simply dieting -- you're doing something for your body, rather than simply denying yourself. I always feel so great when I'm done, and so proud of myself!

Hey MarvinTM! Great job on the healthy eating! I'm with you -- I think it's ridiculous to ruin good food (basically for vanity's sake) when there are millions of people starving in this world. Doggie bag it all the way! And like you said, it does get a lot easier to stop eating on your own, without having to forcibly ruin the meal so you can't eat it. And it should get easier! We control food, it doesn't control us! I just remind myself that it's not the last time on this Earth I'm going to get to eat out -- it's not my one chance to eat something yummy in my entire life, so I don't need to stuff every last bite in for fear of missing something.

I exercised on Thursday, but, as I suspected, Friday is going to be no good for exercise. And we ate what had to be a half TON of takeout Chinese!

Buuut...I lost 2 lbs! It was still gone on Sunday, so I ruled it a "non-fluke" loss. Yay! Unfortunately, when I try to think encouragingly, i.e., "soon you'll be at 150", I remember that 150 was when I had gained back 10 lbs of the 20 I'd lost and was feeling fat! Argh! Still, it's better than where I am, and that much closer to my goal. I just have to remember that, and not think I'll still be disappointed even when I lose 10 lbs. My pants will fit comfortably again! That's enough of a bonus to look forward to.

-copperblu
160/158/130
Closed Thread