Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 01:51 AM   #1  
Determined to Lose!!!

Talking 300+ And Ready To Try Again... #741

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:59 AM   #2  
Determined to Lose!!!

Talking

HELLO LADIES!!!

MUST GET GOING FOR WORK, BUT I HAVE TO SHARE:

I LOST WEIGHT!!! I'M -1.5 LBS!!!!
I'M A LOSER! I'M A LOSER!!!

Other good news: Our new landlord is so kind he's giving us the keys two weeks early so we can start painting and decorating before we move in (and move in early too - Yay!!!!) This has been a week of blessings!!! I'm soooo happy!

I hope today treats you well: Happy Friday!!! Have a great weekend!!!
Old 07-15-2005, 06:15 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Biggirl--I'm so glad things are going well! Doesn't it just make life so much easier when things fall nicely into place

hippievanlady--unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, since it's not diabetes-related), I am not just fatigued after exercise but rather am tired all day long. I have just always heard that exercising is supposed to give you more energy, and I have been consistently exercising for weeks now and still feel like just taking a nap (whether it be before, after, or during my workout ). I might check out some ginseng, but I really hate taking pills. I just bought a liquid multivitamin and some calcium supplements (there's no calcium in the multivitamin, but there is vitamin D and magnesium to assist in the absorption of the calcium) because I am not really drinking much milk anymore (or eating many calcium-rich foods, as I log my menu into fitday, and I am waaaaay low on calcium, vitamin D, folate, and vitamin K). Maybe once I get all the nutrients my body needs regularly, I'll feel a little better

Speaking of calcium, we had a programabout it at our TOPS meting last night. The calcium supplements I bought have 600mg per tablet, and other bottles said that a "serving" of the supplement was actually 2 tablets (1200mg). Now last night, they told us that your body can actually only absorb up to 500mg at one time, so even if you take the 2 tablets for 1200mg, you're only going to take in 500mg (or less, depending on how water-soluble the pills are). This kind of upset me that the supplement companies tell you to take 2 at a time, and yet your body can't even take in all of what is in 1 tablet! My plan is to try and take 1 in the morning and 1 later in the day so I can get as close to 1000mg as possible with just those, plus what little calcium I do have in my diet added to that.

Also at TOPS last night, I had a 2.5-pound loss! YAY! My team is in the lead for our summer competition (lasts till the Thursday after Labor Day), but it's only been one week, so we'll see

I think I'm going to change my ticker to reflect my TOPS scale weight. I have been using my home scale weight, but lately, it has been reeeeeeally inconsistent. The TOPS scale is about 4-5 pounds lower, so I know it's not really a loss that huge, but at least it'll be more accurate as to how much I have lost/gained each week.

Well, hope everyone else is doing well...it was pretty quiet here yesterday. Keep on movin', ladies, and have a happy Friday!
Old 07-15-2005, 06:16 AM   #4  
Oooo Silly Me!

Hippievanlady – That must have been a hard decision I bet! I don’t think I could do that to my mom. Altho moving away might be easier heheh. I’m a big momma’s girl. I call my mom everyday, and she even calls to ground me. Yes… I’m 29 years old and my mom still tries to ground me She means well… I just had to learn that. She doesn’t know how to choose her words carefully. Shes a tough woman, but I’ve learned not to let things from her bother me. My youngest sister, still lets her get to her. I just learn to let things roll off. It was hard, and sometimes things still get to me, but not as bad as they have been. I used to suffer from sever depression and would often cry myself to sleep at night. I did a lot of soul searching. But I figured if I’m going to keep sane, that I need to understand my mom and just not take her words to heart. I would say for the past 2 years, I’ve been doing really well and haven’t had a major spell of depression. I still get depressed and stressed out… but mostly about school work and not having enough time to get what I need to get done. But, I can say that I don’t visit her as often as I have. So I have put some distance between us. I appreciate you for sharing your story with me. I understand what you are saying.

Today…Thursday… YAY! Hehehe I say this only because today is my last day of class for the week. I’ve got so much to do I just dunno where to start. I did some laundry today and got some cleaning done. OOOhh, last night Brit and I cut up some bananas in half and stuck them on a kabob stick and dipped them in Fat Free Chocolate Pudding. Today we got to try our creation. Not bad… the pudding melted quicker than would have liked, but it came out great. I used to buy those fruit bars dipped in chocolate, can’t think of the name of the brand, but they have like coconut, strawberry and banana flavors dipped in chocolate. I figured I would try to create my own hehehe.

We’re also going to try a smoothie recipe tonight. A friend gave me this recipe… I’ll share it with all of you…

1 Cup Low Fat Peach Yogurt (I use Yoplait 99% Fat Free Harvest Peach)
¾ Cup Peach Nectar ( I use Kerns All Natural with 100% Vitamin C)
½ Cup Red Raspberries Frozen
1.5 Cups Diced Peaches frozen (You can use white or yellow)

Combine yogurt and nectar in Blender, then add Fruit and belnd til smooth.
This makes umm… seven 4oz servings at approx 70 calories each or four 6 oz servings at 117 calories each. I like to put in ice and blend the ice with it as well. It just tastes more like a daiquiri that way to me. The serving size is counted without adding ice, so if you add in blended ice that changes the serving size. Altho I think with the frozen fruit, you may not need ice. Heheheh

Now as far as smoothies go, I dunno if that’s a lot of calories for one or not.

Take care everyone!
Sue…
Old 07-15-2005, 08:51 AM   #5  

Smile Got news

I got my blood work results in the mail. I am anemic still (had no doubt to begin with). I will try to take some extra iron (I can't tolerate much because I have a rare reaction where it makes me bleed). My triglycerides are very high, which explains the bouts of pancreatitis I've had that no one can diagnose. I can take care of that with diet and exercise and by continuing to take fish oil and adding niacin. I also am going to start taking a low dose aspirin a day since my clotting factor is very high and that puts me at risk for a blood clot (stroke, heart attack). I take birth control pills/hormones to control my bleeding problem and that's probably the culprit. That's easy to fix though (as long as you know about it/someone tells you about it).

On the good side, my A1C test (measures glucose levels over three months) was 5.4 and you can't ask for any better than that (8.0 is bad and they want you to keep it below 7.0). My thyroid is fine (I knew that too -- that's never been the reason for my weight problems). And, my overall cholesterol was fine. These are all good things!

I'm glad I requested the results because now I can take control over some of the situations I need to deal with. I don't know when I'll be going back to see this doctor, however. Granted, I wasn't dying or anything, but since I did go to see him specifically about the anemia and glucose issues, he could've at least addressed those results with me, I feel. I also don't know about this write-down-all-the-diets-and-he-picks-one thing. I don't think I want to do that. I want to do it my way and my way is to try to eat as healthy as humanly possible and exercise regularly (no gimmicks). We also lost a staff member where I work so I am so overloaded with work it will be months before I can leave work for another appointment (he's only open during the hours I work). So we'll see. He's not concerned so I don't think I'll be either.

I ordered a piece of exercise equipment yesterday and the weight limit on it is 300 pounds. I'm going to sit that sucker where I have to see it every day and use it as my motivation to break through the 3s. I really want to be able to use it so I'm going to have to work hard in order to get there!

I've got a second wind. I counted my calories for my meals today. I'm making my last new start. I'm going to get healthy this time, chickies, and stay healthy!!!

Biggirl ~ Congratulations on your loss.

Jillybean ~ You don't have to be diabetic to have your sugar drop when you exercise (this happens to lots of people). Try having protein (like a low fat cheese stick or two ~ approx. 160 calories for two) 30 minutes to an hour before your exercise and see if it helps. Congrats on your loss too!
Old 07-15-2005, 09:06 AM   #6  
Hangin' out in the Kudzu

Default Tgif

Hi chicks!

Happy Friday to everyone! I'm looking forward to a weekend in the pool...y'all wanna come hang out???

BIGGIRL and Jillybean - Congrats on being losers!!!

I can't wait until I am able to post MY losses! Keep motivating me, please.

SueMarie - Your smoothie sound delicious to me! I'll try to get my fam to keep 'em coming while I'm in the pool....

Tashabella - I am so with you about this being the time to get healthy for GOOD! I have a doctor's appointment in September - my gyn...haven't seen here since six weeks after having my baby last year. I'd really like to loose about 20 pounds before going to her office. She's always so supportive, but I'd really like to hear her say "Good Job!"

I'm tired this week chicks.....I pray that this is not another exacerbation of my M.S. I'm getting plenty of sleep, but I just want to lay right back down after I get up. And yesterday afternoon I had a MASSIVE head ache...I don't normally get those. ugh. Have plans to go walking with my sister tonight. And then, of course, we'll play in the pool this weekend. Baby steps in the right direction WILL get me where I want to be!!

Hope everyone has a great Friday and a terrific weekend.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:06 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Thank you all for your suggestions on fatigue after exercise, but I guess I was confusing in how I worded my post. My point was that I am tired ALL the time, not just after exercise The only reason I mention wanting to nap after exercise was that I had always heard that exercise gives you MORE energy, yet I don't feel any more energized having been exercising steadily for weeks (months?) now. Also, the plan I am on, I eat 4 times a day, and it is mostly protein (eggs, ham, turkey burgers, chicken) with veggies and fruits also, so I don't think it's a blood sugar issue (I eat at noon or 12:30, workout at 2, eat again at about 3:30). I really appreciate everyone's suggestions, but fatigue after exercising wasn't really my concern/problem--it's fatigue ALL day long

So with all this tiredness, you'd think I'd be sleeping like a log, but noooo. quite the opposite--I have actually been having more difficulty sleeping at night. It takes me forever to fall asleep, and once I do, it is usually pretty restless all night (waking up in the middle of the night, getting hot, getting cold...). I assume it's just stress, and I'll get over it sooner or later.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:23 AM   #8  
Determined to Lose!!!

Just a quickie: JILL, MAYBE YOU'RE JUST EXHAUSTED!!! Have you ever taken a holiday and just done NOTHING? What about doing exactly what you want to do? i.e. take a nap if you want to, lay comatose on the couch if you want to, take a 3 hr bath if you want to, etc. I've had to learn about taking 'ME TIME' the hard way. You might just need some good rest!!!!
Old 07-15-2005, 10:12 AM   #9  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

hello girls...just popping in and letting everyone know things are going ok for me...i'm maintaining (still thank god).

i won't lie and say i've been too busy to post (LOL - Thin catches me on AIM so i can't pretend i'm not here )

..however i CAN say that i'm just really lazy, and as diets go, you forge ahead and then fall a bit back behind. i do not feel as if i am a failure because i am still maintaining my weight (340)...we cant always be 100% all the time, right?

having said that i'm going back to counting calories so i can lose ten pounds i need to change my body's "comfort" zone...you know..that weight we get to and our body feels good there so it doesnt lose or gain...
Old 07-15-2005, 10:44 AM   #10  

Hi everyone......... I'm still around just being quiet...... sometimes I gotta do that.
Congrats and good going to the losers and keep trying to the not losers.
I'm losing but its from fear not determination........ but I'll take it however I can get it.
The fear is of insulin. I'm a type 2 adult onset diabetic and am om oral meds twice a day. For some reason my fasting sugar is high every morning, even wth me eating right
and watching portions and getting my lazy butt moving after dinner istead of watching the tube or playing on line. I'm actually walking and for me thats major! lol but still get a fasting sugar between 153 to 170......... I don't get it....... guess I'm gonna have to
go see my Dr. but. since I'm losing so good....... hmmmmmmmm lol
I wish you all a wonderful weekend....
take care
hugs
Bobbie
Old 07-15-2005, 10:46 AM   #11  
DoxieMomx2

Popping in for a quick post. I have been so busy, at work and at home. My baby comes home tomorrow night and I had a major painting set back last night. We bought two gallons of blue/gray paint. We were done painting and starting on trim work and ceiling last night, and I opened the second gallon of wall paint to do a second coat on two walls. 45 minutes later I couldn't figure out why the pain wasn't dry. It was - the second gallon is a WHOLE shade lighter than the original color. After I sat down to cry and try not to throw up as I was so sick about it, hubby and I kicked into high gear and ended up painting the entire room AGAIN, so at least it would be one color. So now it's painted, hubby is doing the trim today and I will do the ceiling when I get home tonight, but although it's one color, it's not the color we bought, nor the color my son had stated a desire for. But, life goes on and at least he'll have a remodeled room when he gets back tomorrow night (IF we get it completely done in time!). I have been doing okay with my food, haven't eaten anything I shouldn't have, just haven't been tracking my points, and on top of it, Aunt Flo arrived today.

Catherine - I'm sorry you have those issues with your mom. Although I don't, my mom is a wonderful lady who I am very close to, my mother-in-law is the exact type of person your mother seems to be. She didn't bother to come to our wedding, told my husband she "would catch his next wedding, and that's what he got for marrying a Baptist," although she never took him to church a day in his life. She also would intentionally bring over Pepsi, donuts, brownies, anything she could think of "for Steve and Seth" when she specifically knew I was trying to lose weight. Years ago when Seth was a baby, it came to such a head we sought counseling. The counselor told us to cut off all contact with her. That lasted only so long, but now that Steve's father has passed away, she's right back to her old tricks and Steve has actually had it. He has basically distanced himself as far from her as he can get. I can really relate to it, and although I know it probably sounds harsh to others, there are times when its the best thing you can do for yourself and your family. When people like them are just so bitter and miserable, their main goal is to make sure everyone around them is just as bitter and miserable as they are. So, know that you aren't alone in the situation.

Jilly - Have you ever been tested for Sleep Apnea? I have it, and my symptoms were almost exactly like yours are now. I was constantly tired and all I wanted to do was sleep. I could actually nod off at a stop light on my way to work. I became increasingly scary, and my husband would wake me up in the middle of the time and tell me I wasn't breathing. Of course, this just infuriated me as I didn't sleep well to begin with and I would tell him that I obviously was breathing as I was talking to him. I finally went to see my doctor about a lump in my tongue that wouldn't go away. Come to find out, it was a constant sore that wouldn't heal. I spent more time sitting up in bed at night than laying down because I kept waking up. I would nod off sitting up and my mouth would slam just on my tongue. He sent me to an ENT and they tested me for sleep apnea. The results were insane. The ENT told me he didn't know I even functioned at all. I would stop breathing 97 times an hour, for up to 13 seconds at a time. My blood gases dropped below 60%, which is very dangerous to your heart. I have since had surgery to help it, and I sleep with a CPAP machine. It has made a world of difference in my sleep habits and my energy level. Although it is not caused by being overweight, it definitely hinders it and makes it worse. Oh well, food for thought!

Biggirl - YOU ROCK!!! Contrats on the loss.

I really must go, as the work is piling up. Hello and God Bless to everyone, especially those I didn't get time to directly respond to.

MY BABY IS COMING HOME TOMORROW NIGHT!!!!!!!

Take care and have a great weekend. - Kim
Old 07-15-2005, 11:28 AM   #12  

Good Morning Ladies!

Well, I've decided that stress + staying OP must = loss. Had another good WI today. -1 from Tuesday so down to 274! My BP was down to 100/62. The Dr. said he'll look into my meds and see if they should go be adjusted. Probably not yet though. He also said that "In Europe they think BP corresponds to energy levels, but we don't here in the US." 'Course, he can't give me a reason why I'm so darn tired all the time! Maybe something's going around, there's so many of us complaining of it!

Took off work yesterday. I'm probably going home today at noon. I shouldn't I suppose, because I'm not really "sick" as I am tired and crabby and it has everything to do with my job. Which I'm under a "gag order" about. We aren't allowed to discuss it, supposedly even with each other, but it's really getting to me. On one hand, I feel like if I had any priciples at all I'd raise a stink over certian things, even though it would probably result in my being fired. On the other hand....it would probably result in my being fired!!! I have house payments, car payments, loan payments, credit card payments, etc., etc., etc. And while I have the best husband in the world...he makes about 1/2 what I do and my paycheck is what pays the bills!!! So what do I do? I'm just becoming physically ill over all this! Anyone want to pay me $50,000 a year to be your lawyer? Keep in mind I'm totally out of practice and only licensed in Missouri!

Meliss: Good to see you back! I've been wondering about you!

tansea: Losing is losing and one motivation is as good as another if it gets the job done. It sounds like you are doing great!

BigGirl and Jilly: Congrats on the losses! Good for you both!

Well, better get back to my hateful job. I used to just love it here, darn it all! Now I just hate coming to this office! In 11 years I haven't been this unhappy with what I do for a living.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:44 PM   #13  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Today's research bit comes out of Wake Forest University. A one pound weight loss results in a 4 pound reduction in knee-joint load for each step you take. That means that a 1 pound loss puts 4,800 lbs. less stress on your knees per each mile walked. A 5% weight loss in obese patients brought about a 18% gain in overall function. The next time I complain about only losing 1 pound, kick me.

JillyBean-You can get Ginsing in tea.

SueMarie-Yeah the thing with my mom might have been the hardest thing I have ever done. I would have preferred to come right out and tell her why I needed to "disappear," but that would have only made her upset. I don't want to cause her harm. I also recognize that there is no way she will ever change, so I had to protect myself. You don't get to be 600 lbs. by accident.

Tansea-My roommate was 1/2 step away from having to go on meds for type 2. Her glucose was high, and she was even starting to have kidney function trouble. She started eating what I was fixing, and in 3 months, her triglicerides, and glucose were perfect. She even got to go off Lipitor. Her doctor is stunned. Just stick with it. You might also try a chromium supplement. It helps with insulin resistance and balances your glucose. Cinnamon is also great to help with your glucose levels.

Doxiemom-Mothers-in-law, I knew there was a reason I never got married. Tell your husband what my pastor told me. The commandment about honoring your father and mother only applies to parents that are "honorable." Nasty parents are like a genetic disease, just try not to pass it on to your children.

Lilion-Dsyfunctional workplaces. The worst boss I ever had was a minister in charge of an statewide eccumenical organization. He made, honest to God, racial and women jokes at staff meetings. He used to be giddy and excited when handing out pink slips. The guy who had the job before him got fired for misappropriating funds meant for disaster relief. He funneled a bunch to a white supremist group. I found out from the book keeper who did the refugee resettlement progam. She blew the whistle and lost her job. I kept quiet. I told myself that technically he was a client, so I couldn't say anything. One of those rationalizations you make when 26 years old and paying student loans off. I went to confession about it, and said a bunch of penance. I like to think I atoned partially a year later when I agreed to testify in open federal court against one of the posse's leaders. I got bullet holes in my bedroom window, but I decided that I would never again be afraid. It is easier to be brave when you don't have kids. Tell yourself that your job is not who you are at a basic level, and if you just can't stand it, start updating your resume.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:55 PM   #14  
Shadiepurple

Talking

Greetings chickiepoos!! Happy Friday . I've emerged from the shadows to share a little.

Biggirl: You were talking about getting the old fat to move. I have a book called The Fat Flush Foods, by Louise Gittleman. It has a list of differnt foods the break up the old fat and help move it along. I love this book . It has done wonders for me. I have added some of the suggested foods to my daily menue very easily. There are some differnt vitamines in there too that I have started taking. I know it works for me and it is sooooo easy to just add a few things like tomatoes, avacodos, lemons, etfc. lots more in there to choose from . Can't hurt to try. I swear by these things. Good luck.

Jillybean: Hey girly, the symptoms you describe sound alot like sleep apnia . I also have it. I would sleep plenty of hour but then would just go through the motions all day. I finally went to the doctor when I was so foggy I felt like a panic attack was going to get me and not let go. If that is whats happening to you, it makes it extra hard to lose weight because your body is fatiged before you start your day. Can't hurt to check it out. Also I wanted to tell you that you must eat even if your not hungery. Breakfast is a must. It's called breakfast because it is to BREAK the FAST. You've not eaten for 8,10, or 12 hours and you are asking your body to start working at full speed again. If you don't eat your body says " hey I'm starving, hang on to everything" so the first thing you eat later is turned to almost 100 % fat for that starving belief. If you eat with in the first 30 minuts or so, you reasure your body that there will be a steady energy source coming in so it will let go of the stored up stuff. Try it, you might be suprised.

Dogpal: I'm here . I've been around just been busy. So sorry to hear about your papa and his doggy. I hope all works out well. I have been praying for you.

Wellcome newbies!!! Super glad your here. Keep coming back . We all lean on each other here. It's the best bunch of chickies to be apart of. Enjoy your lives. SMILE
Old 07-15-2005, 03:28 PM   #15  
Oooo Silly Me!

Tashabella – good thing you asked for your results. Are you going to talk to your Doctor about your findings? That would make me wonder big time specially when you went in to see this doctor about the two things he specifically did not mention.

Jilly – I’ve been having problems with sleeping as well. Since I’ve started my lap swimming and water aerobics class I’ve been very tired through out the day. I fall asleep in class hehehe. But I’ve noticed no matter how tired I am, I still have a hard time sleeping. For me though, I think it’s the heat. But I’m also stressed out as well, between juggling my visiting family, school work, and my own family and house. It’s been hectic. Then I have a state exam tommorrow…oohhh which reminds me, I gotta get to studying :lool: I don’t think I’ll take another fast track course again in summer school. I definitely agree with Biggirl tho, “ME” time is a good thing. Once I take my finals this August 1st, I’m going to take some “ME” time and pamper myself and just relax and work on me.

Hippievanlady – and you’ve done a wonderful job at bringing your weight down. You are an inspiration to me and I’m sure to many of the ladies here. I love all the great information you share!

Today I’m going to do some shopping at the Mills with my older sister who is visiting. Spend some time with my family that has come out from Ohio. I will be leaving my credit card at home tho

I’ve got a state exam this Saturday…. Test #2 of 3. So I’ll be studying my butt off when I get home. Only problem tho, I have league tonight so I won’t get as much in as I would like.

Not much has changed today. I’m still waiting for Uncle TOM and Aunt Flo to go home. Man… I’ve had cramps from HECK I’ll be glad when they are gone! It’s been a bit weird, I spotted for a week before I started. I think the birth control pills they have me on are trying to regulate me. I read somewhere that there is a non-birth control method that can be used to regulate your cycles. I don’t remember which forum I read it in, but I’m wondering if it’s worth switching over…. Ahhh… things to ponder about….

Well I’m outta here folks… hope everyone has a good day!

Sue…
Closed Thread