Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-13-2005, 10:43 AM   #1  
Melinda

S/C/G: 301/285/140

Height: 5"3

Question Question about time of day exercise

I was wondering if it matters what time of day you exercise. The only time i am able is after work at around 6 or 7pm. I have heard in the past that it is not good to exercise at night because it keeps you awake.
TexasPixiStix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:06 AM   #2  

The best time to exercise is whatever time you can commit to it and fit it in.

A LOT of people exercise in the evening -- me included. There are theories that exercsing first thing in the morning is optimal; however, if that doesn't work for you then, don't worry about it. Better you do what you can when you can that sit around and wait for the supposedly "perfect" time.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 01:12 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Huh, if exercising in the morning were the only option, I'd never do it. I am so not a morning person. I always get up "just in time" to shower, eat breakfast and drive to work. Heaven help me if anything - or anyone - breaks up my routine. I do all my exercising in the evening.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #4  
Melinda

S/C/G: 301/285/140

Height: 5"3

Thanks guys!

Waterrat: that morning routine sounds exactly like mine!
TexasPixiStix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 01:56 PM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Supposedly your metabolism is boosted after you exercise, which is probably one reason why people recommend the morning. Another reason is that studies have shown that people who exercise in the morning are more likely to stick to their routine and actually work out as scheduled, which is harder in the evening or afternoon (because you have other committments, dinner to make, friends to see, etc).

Seriously though, like funniegrrl said, whenever you can fit it in is the best time. As long as you do it!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:04 PM   #6  

I like to exercise in the morning and the evening. I do power walking/jogging for 30-40 minutes around an hour or two after breakfast (don't want to get cramps!) as that's when I feel like I have the most energy. And later in the evening, say around 6 or 7, I'll go for a 40-50 minute power walk/jog. Best of both worlds, I say.

Although, if I had to choose a preferred time to exercise, it would be in the morning. You get it over with, which is a great feeling and it jump starts your day.
girl least likely to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:32 PM   #7  

I don't know, I might agree w/ the keeps you up in the night thing though. I'm new and could be wrong, but since I'm bipolar and EVERYTHING keeps me awake, I'm definately noticing exercise is keeping me up. *sigh*
Shalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:12 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

I will exercise when I can, morning, noon or night...

I've read that exercise in the morning is the good because it get's it out of the way and gets your metabolism going for the rest of the day, like Clippy said . Then I've also read that around 4-5PM is good because your body is warmed up from your day's activities and exercise will keep you going for the rest of the evening.

I can do weight training in the evening and have an easy time to fall asleep but if I do cardio I am up till all hours ....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote